10 replies to this topic

#1 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Two years ago I was casting about for Christmas presents for my two sons, who are both shooters.

I ran across these two "as new" Mossberg 144LSB's on an on-line estate sale and won the bids for both of them...much to my son's delight

#1 (was missing part of the rear sight)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

2 Included the rear sight in the plastic bag.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,540 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

That is just way cool, just like they were packed at the factory when the world still had some common sense
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I remember when you posted about these a couple years ago. I recall seeing the orange factory stickers on the side. Those Mossbergs are in beautiful shape.

Wasn't it you that also had the 144 with some kind of barrel device mounted on the end? Did you ever find out what that thing was intended for?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#4 graycrait

graycrait

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

So, are you shooting them now. I have had a fair sized bucket load of Mossies over the years. The most accurate one I had was a plain 144, but I think it had a later bolt handle because it wasn't a "T" handle. The one I liked the best was a 46B. Two I would have liked to have had would be a 46M and a 144 with T handle. They sure had some nice woood on those back in the day.

Two websites all Mossie folk need are:

http://home.epix.net...mguy/models.htm

http://www.havlinsales.com/

#5 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I remember when you posted about these a couple years ago. I recall seeing the orange factory stickers on the side. Those Mossbergs are in beautiful shape.

Wasn't it you that also had the 144 with some kind of barrel device mounted on the end? Did you ever find out what that thing was intended for?

I posted about these on a couple of the forums...and there was one sad note to the story.

The FFL who shipped the rifles merely wrapped one of the rifles in a few sheets of newspaper, then put the other rifle in the same box, completely unwrapped. Bottm line, the unwrapped rifle picked up some gouges and scratches:(

They did arrive in excellent shape (not counting the new scratches) and the bluing was perfect.

Here are a few pics of the scratches..I sent them to the auction house along with my opinion of the guy who packed these beauties.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Calfed, 12 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Not trying to be a smart alec but knew I'd seen those rifles on here before....

http://rimfireshooti...?showtopic=6231

We don't get a lot of Mossberg traffic here so I'm sure a duplicate thread is no problem. It gives some of the newer users a chance to see your 144's

I still hate to see how the one rifle was damaged in shipping.

So, are you shooting them now. I have had a fair sized bucket load of Mossies over the years. The most accurate one I had was a plain 144, but I think it had a later bolt handle because it wasn't a "T" handle. The one I liked the best was a 46B. Two I would have liked to have had would be a 46M and a 144 with T handle. They sure had some nice woood on those back in the day.

Two websites all Mossie folk need are:

http://home.epix.net...mguy/models.htm

http://www.havlinsales.com/

Graycrait, the Mossberg 46B was the first rifle I ever bought for myself. I bought a nice one used but decided I needed something else more so I traded it off. I kind of wish I still had that one. The second rifle I had was a 144 LSB like the ones Calfed has. That one was traded for my Remington 513T which I still have today.

BTW, I enjoy owning a copy of the Havlin's Mossberg book. I think it's a must have for folks who enjoy Mossbergs.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#7 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Didn't recall posting these on this forum and it dosn't show up in "my content"...sorry .

#8 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Didn't recall posting these on this forum and it dosn't show up in "my content"...sorry .

It's ok! No harm for sure. I shouldn't have said anything. I just remembered seeing the rifles here before. To be honest, it didn't seem like that long ago but I guess time flys these days.

Did you ever find out what the contraption was on the end of this one?

http://rimfireshooti...?showtopic=7470

#9 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

It came down to some kind of barrel resonator or dampener or a silencer adapter, which are common in England.

Wasn't able to nail it down any further.

#10 A square 10

A square 10

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:commonwealth milsurps 1800-1990

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

dont tink i posted to the previous thread , very nice looking rifles , nice to get the pair for your sons , too bad about the damage but i think mmostly fixable , were the stickrs hard to get off ?

#11 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Thanks, 10

My sons loved them. The stickers required a bit of mineral spirits to come cleanly off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users