• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...res-with-hands/

No further explanation necessary.

Planeflyr
Corey

"Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality"
-Dustin Hoffman

Those who do not remember the Pasta are condemned to Reheat it.
-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

-wish I knew who to attribute this quote to

#2 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

The sad part is, this makes perfect sense to a lot of people.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#3 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Corey and Charles...that ain't half the story about the stupidity in our schools...A couple of months ago I read an article that showed that a young deaf boy aged 6 or 7 had the given name of Hunter..He signed(deaf mute sign language) his name that translated as a pointed(gun) gesture...The school said he had to quit using that sign OR change his NAME. The school finaly lost the litigated decision and the child was "allowed" to keep his signed name...Talk about a BS...PC....society..It's time to get back to common sense(and not Obama's version) rationale in our society . Paul Harvey Sr. said it best.."Guns came to school when God was taken out." I would like to add when responsibility for your own actions was lifted from your shoulders and place on society's..Dave
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#4 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...res-with-hands/

No further explanation necessary.

Planeflyr
Corey

Some people just have no common sense.

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#5 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well,

Here's another one!

http://www.foxnews.c...?intcmp=related

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

#6 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Electric guitar (blues/jazz), road biking, kayaking, target shooting.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Common sense would be to:
1. if child makes BANG gesture we should inspect the home of that child for unsecured guns
2. if parents are irresponsible gun owners then suspend the kid.and send parents to gun safety class
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR
1953 H&R 929 Sidekick 22LR

#7 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

1. if child makes BANG gesture we should inspect the home of that child for unsecured guns
2. if parents are irresponsible gun owners then suspend the kid.and send parents to gun safety class

Might be some 4th Amendment issues there. But let's assume the Supreme Court is OK with trashing that amendment as well.

What do you do with the kid if the guns ARE secured? Or, what if there aren't any guns in the home?

If your post was sarcasm, disregard all of the above.

#8 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Likely sarcasm. If not, maybe he will post the address of his bridge.

#9 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Electric guitar (blues/jazz), road biking, kayaking, target shooting.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Might be some 4th Amendment issues there. But let's assume the Supreme Court is OK with trashing that amendment as well.

What do you do with the kid if the guns ARE secured? Or, what if there aren't any guns in the home?

If your post was sarcasm, disregard all of the above.

If no guns at home then good old fashion beating on the hand that made the gesture with a stick should be enuff.
If secure guns at home then send kid to gun safety class.
I unsecured guns at home then 25 lashes with a bullwhip and suspension. Possibly branding if repeated offender.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#10 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

FINGERS DON'T KILL PEOPLE
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE

#11 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

If no guns at home then good old fashion beating on the hand that made the gesture with a stick should be enuff.
If secure guns at home then send kid to gun safety class.
I unsecured guns at home then 25 lashes with a bullwhip and suspension. Possibly branding if repeated offender.

Ooops, 911...daddy and mommy beat me...can you say child abuse? Hmm, what if he flips someone the "bird"..what you check then? Trouble is your answers always involves the government. That is why we have the 2nd..To keep the government in line as a last resort. Dave
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#12 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

FINGERS DON'T KILL PEOPLE
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE

Halleleujah...THANK YOU !!! Rim Noob. Dave

Now let us all work on the people problem instead of the tool of choice..

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 30 January 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#13 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Halleleujah...THANK YOU !!! Rim Noob. Dave

Now let us all work on the people problem instead of the tool of choice..

Dave,
Don't get too excited, it was just a joke.

#14 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

What I'm most worried about is what happens now in New York.

Do they confiscate the offending finger and cut it in half so it can no longer be used?

Do they pick up everyone with 10 fingers and remove 3 because only 7 are now allowed in a magazine?

For those jurisdictions where conceiled carry is allowed, do the individuals now need to keep their hands in their pockets?

Do all shopkeepers, building owners, manufacturers, etc. now need to modify everything to accommodate those with
less than 5 fingers on a hand under the Americans with Disabilities Act? (at their expense, of course)

These are the unintended consequences of New York's new gun legislation.

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#15 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

What I'm most worried about is what happens now in New York.

Do they confiscate the offending finger and cut it in half so it can no longer be used?

Do they pick up everyone with 10 fingers and remove 3 because only 7 are now allowed in a magazine?

For those jurisdictions where conceiled carry is allowed, do the individuals now need to keep their hands in their pockets?

Do all shopkeepers, building owners, manufacturers, etc. now need to modify everything to accommodate those with
less than 5 fingers on a hand under the Americans with Disabilities Act? (at their expense, of course)

These are the unintended consequences of New York's new gun legislation.

Planeflyr
Corey

I worry that the suicide negotiators will be called out everytime some one picks their nose!! :P

#16 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I worry that the suicide negotiators will be called out everytime some one picks their nose!! :P

Probably good idea - especially if possible penalty is being spanked by tall muscular blond Swedish woman.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#17 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

Probably good idea - especially if possible penalty is being spanked by tall muscular blond Swedish woman.

Is there any other kind?

#18 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Dave,
Don't get too excited, it was just a joke.

Dang, for a moment there I thought the light bulb flashed brightly over your head..Shoulda known it was too good to be true..Teaser :) ......Dave
PS: Gotta watch me Noob...I spent 27 years training sales people in how to get their way with pure logic as their only weapon..Oh, btw..my personal closing (sales) ratio was 98% of credit qualified customers that I talked to...En garde...eh.

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 31 January 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#19 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Dang, for a moment there I thought the light bulb flashed brightly over your head..Shoulda known it was too good to be true..Teaser :) ......Dave
PS: Gotta watch me Noob...I spent 27 years training sales people in how to get their way with pure logic as their only weapon..Oh, btw..my personal closing (sales) ratio was 98% of credit qualified customers that I talked to...En garde...eh.

Pure logic? What's that?

Something along these lines-a perfectly true conclusion validly arrived at on perfectly false premises

NO ANIMAL WITH WINGS CAN FLY
PIGS HAVE WINGS
THEREFOR, PIGS CAN'T FLY.

#20 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
    gardening.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Dave, you just might be dueling with one of the 2% er's..LOL....j/k
Walt Miller

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#21 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Dave, you just might be dueling with one of the 2% er's..LOL....j/k

No 'might be' about it Walt ;)

#22 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

It is interesting that the "we must compromise" perspectives are only coming out of the Austin and Portland enclaves. :glare:

#23 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

It is interesting that the "we must compromise" perspectives are only coming out of the Austin and Portland enclaves. :glare:

Who said we 'must compromise'. I suppose the snarky thing to reply to this snarky post of yours would be that the two cities boast fairly high levels of academic acheivement amongst their population. That they are both centers of commerce very dependent on a workforce of intellectually skilled people, that they are two of America's most livable cities, that... But, I see your point. I'm just a very recent immigrant to Portland having come here from that bastion of communism,San Diego.

But more to the point, I'm not sure I said we 'must compromise' , I think I was saying that IF it came to it I would certainly be willing to throw certain items under the bus. As it turns out my more realistic discussion turned around the very real possiblity that the whole thing lacked sufficient political upside to be taken much beyond the 100% background check idea and maybe the hi-cap magazine ban. The drift of the political winds seem to be aligning with exactly that and in fact the big message seems to be shifting to the 'mental health' aspect which dovetails nicely with the background check component. All of which is giving the politicians on both sides some cover and they will undoubtedly take it. If the current situation remains on track-that is to say it is not bumped by some horrific massacre of the innocents- it will transpire that he greatest material harm done will be the self inflicted wounds the gun community (or its less rational elements) is suffering from all the panic buying and price gouging on assault rifles. Or anyhow that is how it looks from Portland.

Oh, I would like to add that the 'mental health' approach to this thing has just about as much statistical validity as the assault rifle ban-meaning it all sounds plausible until you look at the numbers and then it simply evaporates. So as an actual improvement, let alone a solution, it is a sham as well.

#24 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist, but we might actually gain more from this battle than we lose.

1) It appears a good bit of the AWB noise out of Obama and Biden was bluster. Many of their trial balloons didn't clear the roof of the White House before they were shot down. There was such an outcry against using executive privilege that Obama's 23 points avoided attacking the 2nd amendment. The recent ruling against Obama's Senate appointments was icing on the cake. Now Biden is asking the Senate Democrats to attack the 2nd; should be fun watching them trying to dodge something that brown and smelly.

2) The NRA got a big boost just when its effectiveness had taken a hit in the November elections. 500,000 new members plus $$$$$$$. Like them or not, it sent a loud and clear message to Congress. Overall they've handled this crisis fairly well. The Harrisburg gun show boycott was masterful.

3) Bill Clinton is warning the Democrats they are out of touch with America and that pushing the gun control issue will "reinvigorate the Tea Party". For once I hope he is right. A repeat of the 1994 midterm elections would be fine by me. But his real concern may be that this will cost Hillary 2016 and they'll have to spend their retirement together. :(

4) The states rights movement is gaining traction. Nullification bills, Sheriffs exercising their power, and even laws threatening the Feds with fines and jail time; YES!! Intrastate transfers are out of the Feds jurisdiction so states could stop them from closing the so called "gun show loophole". And it is true that politics makes strange bed fellows. Who would have predicted that the pot heads and gun nuts would be working together to defend our liberties against the Federal statists. Now ATF is saying anyone using medical marijuana and owning a firearm is no different that an armed drug dealer and they will get 5-10 years. Wow; they haven't prosecuted the criminals caught illegally purchasing firearms but cancer patients must live out their lives in a penitentiary. The lunatics really are running the asylum.

Moving the battle over gun control to the states would be a victory. Moving out of the US would be difficult for me; moving out of New York or California would be far less traumatic; not that I would move there in the first place.

Mark

#25 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
    gardening.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Moving the battle over gun control to the states would be a victory. Moving out of the US would be difficult for me; moving out of New York or California would be far less traumatic; not that I would move there in the first place.

Mark

I moved out of CA back in 1982 and missed it until I crossed the Oregon/California border. :)

Walt
Walt Miller

#26 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

It is a interesting that the "we must compromise" perspectives are only coming out of the Austin and Portland enclaves. :glare:

You could be a tad more precise - "compromise" on what?
I think background checks have more or less universal support - if polls are correct.
I just just do not believe in absolutist take on 2nd Amendment that post-1977 NRA has.
So yes - maybe "guns do not kill people" - but people that would not not have access to
guns (if it was not for NRA) do.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#27 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

There is not an agreement on 100% background checks.
1) Intrastate commerce is outside the Fed's powers; period.
2) This would add costs and delays to private sales. There does seem to be support to make it an option, if you are uncertain of the buyer, but not a requirement.
3) This would interfere with gun shows. I have an email from the owner of one of the largest shows regarding his speaking trip to Washington. He does not believe there is across the board support at this time for a universal background check.
4) The crime stats do not support private sales as being a major problem.
5) New laws are useless when the Fed's aren't enforcing the ones already on the books.

Mark

#28 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Nothing proposed so far will "deny access" to people who are intent on using an AR15-type weapon in a mass shooting.

If you ban them without a total confiscation, they can be stolen.

If you ban them and attempt confiscation, you will see a black market develop just like Prohibition or the illegal drug trade that takes place every day, in every community in America.

#29 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

There is not an agreement on 100% background checks.
1) Intrastate commerce is outside the Fed's powers; period.
2) This would add costs and delays to private sales. There does seem to be support to make it an option, if you are uncertain of the buyer, but not a requirement.

How about you sell gun w/o recommended background check and later gun is used for crime then you go to jail?

3) This would interfere with gun shows. I have an email from the owner of one of the largest shows regarding his speaking trip to Washington. He does not believe there is across the board
support at this time for a universal background check.

I weep for gun shows.... NOT.
Seriously - is that an argument? Inherent sanctity of gun shows?

4) The crime stats do not support private sales as being a major problem.
5) New laws are useless when the Fed's aren't enforcing the ones already on the books.

Mark

How such data can be compiled if we do not have ability to trace guns precisely?
Not sure I follow - we should not change laws unless current laws work? Since when?
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#30 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

How about you sell gun w/o recommended background check and later gun is used for crime then you go to jail?

I weep for gun shows.... NOT.
Seriously - is that an argument? Inherent sanctity of gun shows?

How such data can be compiled if we do not have ability to trace guns precisely?
Not sure I follow - we should not change laws unless current laws work? Since when?

All good responses. None of it matters-it's horse trading at this point and if the Democrats see any indication that 100% background checks are possible( but that is all) they will cut a deal-and my strong impression is that it is possible and the intrastate commerce issue be damned. It is all only political trading at this point. The AR ban is no going to happen, it's just not. The Republicans have a lot to gain by taking the steam out of this issue and the background checks seem like a no brainer to all but the most ardent pro-gunners. The GOP won't lose and the Dems won't gain much but it will appear that the all important 'something' has been done. The Gun Shows can just rearrange themselves, too bad.

#31 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

LOL - come on, you certainly see the absurdity of creating more laws without enforcing those already on the books. If the government won't hold the criminals accountable then the laws only impact the honest citizens. Besides, most criminals could care less about additional laws. So tell me why do you want to hold me responsible and not the criminals. And yes, I hold the commerce clause as another right with regard to intrastate sales whether it is guns, healthcare, home grown vegetables, or unpasteurized milk. FREEDOM!!!

There is never a reason to compromise one's rights; ever. We've done that in the past and it has failed to produce the promises. As another pointed out, we've had private sale of guns in America since 1776. That has not changed, but what has changed is our society; thanks to the progressives. It is time to end the damage their agenda is inflicting our our lives. We've gone far enough down their path to know where it leads. No more compromising our liberties.

Mark

#32 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Well, here's one ardent pro-gunner.

You know what a whole lot of people are going to tell them what they can do with their universal background checks? It's called 'civil disobedience.'

If a gun can't be traced to a person now, it can't be traced to whoever gets it from that person, either. And so on.

What's next, if these I-wanna-run-your-life megalomaniac clowns get their way? Preventing people from yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater temporarily by taping their mouths shut, or permanently by banning and confiscation of vocal chords? You say I can't yell "Fire" in a theater? Like hell I can't. If I so desire, and have breath and working vocal chords, I can indeed yell "Fire!" in a movie theater when there is no fire. We seem to think the penalty imposed after such an act is sufficient.

But not with the 2nd. WHY NOT?

#33 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Well, here's one ardent pro-gunner.

You know what a whole lot of people are going to tell them what they can do with their universal background checks? It's called 'civil disobedience.'

If a gun can't be traced to a person now, it can't be traced to whoever gets it from that person, either. And so on.

What's next, if these I-wanna-run-your-life megalomaniac clowns get their way? Preventing people from yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater temporarily by taping their mouths shut, or permanently by banning and confiscation of vocal chords? You say I can't yell "Fire" in a theater? Like hell I can't. If I so desire, and have breath and working vocal chords, I can indeed yell "Fire!" in a movie theater when there is no fire. We seem to think the penalty imposed after such an act is sufficient.

But not with the 2nd. WHY NOT?

I'm not promoting a position on any of this-I'm making a prediction based on what info has come around since the Senate hearings began. If you want to engage in civil disobedience over 100% background checks, well, go with God. A year from now when this considerable dust cloud has settled the NRA will be breaking its arm patting itself on the back for limiting the damage to the background check. And they probably should. Is the simple political arithmetic of this thing just to simple to believe, or what?
You may be having a difficult time accepting that your stridently held views are not important to the current situation, but, I suspect that they are not. The battle is for the middle ground-the voters who want something done but not everything done. You don't fit this profile. Such is life in these here United States of America.

#34 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thank you Mark,

Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#35 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm making a prediction based on what info has come around since the Senate hearings began.

You may be having a difficult time accepting that your stridently held views are not important to the current situation, but, I suspect that they are not.

So am I.

But, get this through your political-analyst-wannabe head--my views are every bit as important to the current situation as yours are. If you can't come up with something better to say than that, I suggest you remain quiet.

#36 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thank you Mark,

Chance...

What is with this? You don't have the guts to just insult us directly so you go after the cities we live in? How's about raising your notions of what constitutes civil discourse.

#37 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

So am I.

But, get this through your political-analyst-wannabe head--my views are every bit as important to the current situation as yours are. If you can't come up with something better to say than that, I suggest you remain quiet.

I suggest you calm down and stop addressing me so directly.

#38 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Here's another thing--where do you get off calling my views "strident?" Since when did wanting the US Government to adhere to its Constitution become a "strident" position?

I take "the most strident" exception possible to your calling my views "strident" and also take the most "strident" position possible that your views are anything but moderate (unless the definition of moderate these days means stridently liberal).

#39 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Here's another thing--where do you get off calling my views "strident?" Since when did wanting the US Government to adhere to its Constitution become a "strident" position?

I take "the most strident" exception possible to your calling my views "strident" and also take the most "strident" position possible that your views are anything but moderate (unless the definition of moderate these days means stridently liberal).

Well, OK, how would you describe your views then? My views haven't even been aired here beyond the simple views on the ariables and considerations likely outcome of this current piece of political Kabuki, so how do you conclude that my views are anything but moderate? That they don't obviously align with yours in every particular?

#40 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

You have expressed many times that you're willing to throw anybody but yourself under the bus to protect your own shooting interest and you're willing to impose background checks on all gun sales. Whatever position that may be is one that I don't respect. If you want to call that moderate, go ahead. What it suggests to me is that there probably isn't anything in the way of gun control in which you'd take a firm stand against, including the ban of AR's and Hi-cap magazines.

#41 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

What is with this? You don't have the guts to just insult us directly so you go after the cities we live in? How's about raising your notions of what constitutes civil discourse.

Now there you go again putting words in my mouth. Where did I say you shouldn't engage in civil discourse? A libertarian would never silence another, unless you were standing on my land violating my right to peace and quiet. I only point out that the compromise perspectives fit my simple minded stereotypes for those two bastions of liberal intelligentsia. But what do I know, I'm the product of dumb ole dirt farmers that turned the same ground since the revolution; except when they were away defending our country. But given you are members of our smallbore community you are family. Heck, you may even be considered right wing extremists in your neighborhoods.

The debate sharpens our logic and defines our positions; at least for those that remain open minded, don't make it personal, and don't parrot the political rhetoric.

Mark

What is with this? You don't have the guts to just insult us directly so you go after the cities we live in?

You are lecturing others about their direct comments toward you and yet you make this comment - LOL

#42 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

You have expressed many times that you're willing to throw anybody but yourself under the bus to protect your own shooting interest and you're willing to impose background checks on all gun sales. Whatever position that may be is one that I don't respect. If you want to call that moderate, go ahead. What it suggests to me is that there probably isn't anything in the way of gun control in which you'd take a firm stand against, including the ban of AR's and Hi-cap magazines.

Sorry but you are in minority on that. It would seem that support for background checks on all gun sales in in the 95-97% range.
Therefore it could rather justify to call your position "extreme". Also - NRA supported background checks in the past - so what has changed?
If you think that all that they preach is strict adherence to and Amendment and 2nd Amendment did not change then why did they change their position on background checks?
Perhaps NRA agenda is less about 2nd Amendment and more about protecting corporate profits. And dead be damned.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#43 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Also - NRA supported background checks in the past - so what has changed?

True, they did in the past. But what has changed is their position; which they made clear in the Senate session.

Mark

#44 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Sorry but you are in minority on that. It would seem that support for background checks on all gun sales in in the 95-97% range.
Therefore it could rather justify to call your position "extreme". Also - NRA supported background checks in the past - so what has changed?
If you think that all that they preach is strict adherence to and Amendment and 2nd Amendment did not change then why did they change their position on background checks?
Perhaps NRA agenda is less about 2nd Amendment and more about protecting corporate profits. And dead be damned.

Did I quote the NRA? I don't think so. What makes you think I supported their position on background checks between customers and FFL holders? Please show me the poll where you got your 95-97% figure.

#45 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

LOL - come on, you certainly see the absurdity of creating more laws without enforcing those already on the books. If the government won't hold the criminals accountable then the laws only impact the honest citizens. Besides, most criminals could care less about additional laws. So tell me why do you want to hold me responsible and not the criminals. And yes, I hold the commerce clause as another right with regard to intrastate sales whether it is guns, healthcare, home grown vegetables, or unpasteurized milk. FREEDOM!!!

There is never a reason to compromise one's rights; ever. We've done that in the past and it has failed to produce the promises. As another pointed out, we've had private sale of guns in America since 1776. That has not changed, but what has changed is our society; thanks to the progressives. It is time to end the damage their agenda is inflicting our our lives. We've gone far enough down their path to know where it leads. No more compromising our liberties.

Mark

Sure - criminals could care less about most laws - but we still have them on the books. That is not an argument. Show me a specific example where government WILLFULLY disregards current gun laws and protects interests of criminals. Otherwise it is all just rhetoric borrowed from NRA playbook. Freedom has very little to do with guns - I kept asking for examples of citizens that prevented "tyranny" of federal government by using their guns and all I get is one example of success. And there is MOUNTAIN of counterexample when government violated Constitutional rights and nobody objected. Or example when government used force against people that engage in protest. Blair Mountain, WV - 1921 - 10,000 armed miners against 3,000 lawmen. Largest rebellion since Civil War. Government used military and they also bombed striking miners. Rebellion was crushed and nearly 1000 miners jailed. So yeah.... keep talking about liberty and hope against reality that guns will deliver it to you. And if at any point you will have half an ounce of chance to succeed - they will kill you. All those references to 1776 means absolutely nothing. There is NO line that connects America back then and America now. 1776 - like all revolutions cannot be sustained beyond generation gap. Next generation is quickly bought and idealism becomes stuff used in speeches but never practiced. America now is more of a product of corruption of 19th century and then Gilded Age than 1776.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#46 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Did I quote the NRA? I don't think so. What makes you think I supported their position on background checks between customers and FFL holders? Please show me the poll where you got your 95-97% figure.

Last couple days it was all over the news. Polling results in the 90s for both gun owners and gun-less people.
Besides - what are fighting for?
AWB is very likely a non-starter - too much to lose for Dems and Reps.
Background checks may pass. HCMs - maybe.
Very likely nothing will change on mental healthcare.
Big winners? - gun industry and their NRA marketing team that skillfully whipped up buying frenzy with scare tactic.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#47 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Show me a specific example where government WILLFULLY disregards current gun laws and protects interests of criminals.

Fast & Furious, maybe?

#48 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Asking NRA to come up to the table with more than "no no and hell no" speech is not throwing anybody under the bus.
As far as gun control - I do not feel that NRA has any right to FORCE their vision of society on the rest of us.
I feel that there is plenty of room for reasonable compromise if it was not for ABSOLUTIST take on 2nd Amendment and all
that meaningless, empty and dangerous talk about guns as some sort of guarantor of liberty. Government knows exactly
how futile all that gun waving is so most of the time they allow people to have guns. They just take away any real liberty and
political choice. Look - I am not pro AWB or HCM ban or any of that. And rights to own those or possible lack of effectiveness
can be disputed. But what gets me going is that whole mythology about 1776 and "liberty". It is time to leave it behind - we lost -
it is over - government has won. And it is simply not productive to engage into discussions about freedom through guns - it will
not happen. It only gives you false goal to follow and defend. Freedom may come one day - but it will not be through guns.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#49 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Woland,
Did you watch the Battle of Athens video I posted where the citizens of Tennessee overthrow the tyrannical government in 1946? There is the first proof you wanted. Guns, guts, explosives, and justice. Biden provided the second, " We ‘don’t have the time’ to prosecute gun buyers who lie on background checks

http://dailycaller.c...kground-checks/

Oh, and my blood lines connect me back to 1776; a proud Son of the American Revolution.

Mark

#50 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Woland,
Did you watch the Battle of Athens video I posted where the citizens of Tennessee overthrow the tyrannical government in 1946? There is the first proof you wanted. Guns, guts, explosives, and justice. Biden provided the second, " We ‘don’t have the time’ to prosecute gun buyers who lie on background checks

http://dailycaller.c...kground-checks/

Oh, and my blood lines connect me back to 1776; a proud Son of the American Revolution.

Mark

Yes I did. That is one example against many. There couple angles I see there - 1. people involved were WWII veterans - those guys went through serious s##t on many battlefields and were not about to take same kind of product from their own government and 2. no serious corporate interest were threatened. 3. it was localized protest over local elections. It was much easier for government to give in and tighten the screw later.
Yes I notice that you want to see that unbreakable line from 1776 to now. I would like to see it too. But I do not see it coming through fighting the government with guns.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#51 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Now there you go again putting words in my mouth. Where did I say you shouldn't engage in civil discourse? A libertarian would never silence another, unless you were standing on my land violating my right to peace and quiet. I only point out that the compromise perspectives fit my simple minded stereotypes for those two bastions of liberal intelligentsia. But what do I know, I'm the product of dumb ole dirt farmers that turned the same ground since the revolution; except when they were away defending our country. But given you are members of our smallbore community you are family. Heck, you may even be considered right wing extremists in your neighborhoods.

The debate sharpens our logic and defines our positions; at least for those that remain open minded, don't make it personal, and don't parrot the political rhetoric.

Mark

You are lecturing others about their direct comments toward you and yet you make this comment - LOL

I have no idea what you are raving about-I wonder if you do. To get this down to the point that actually matters, when did I actively support compromise)not that I am opposed to it but when did I?)? As opposed to simply enumerating the likely ones? As opposed that is to simply talking about the various options upon which our glorious leaders are going to act? Apparently the recognition of reality, or realistic outcomes anyways, constitutes capitulation in your mind. A bit odd, considering that I am in no position whatever to compromise with anyone about anything in regard to this isssue. Do you not make a distinction between talk and action. I have said repeatedly that I am not in favor of the AR ban. As a matter of record I am not infavor of any of the proposals so far publicized. I oppose them on completely practical grounds. If that isn't enough for you, well, what can I say?

#52 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

The NRA isn't "forcing their vision" on you any more than you wish to force your vision on other people. The NRA also has no obligation to "come to the table and compromise" because nothing being discussed at the table would have prevented Sandy Hook or prevent another one in the future.

#53 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

As a matter of record I am not infavor of any of the proposals so far publicized. I oppose them on completely practical grounds. If that isn't enough for you, well, what can I say?

Then who said this:

I've said before that the assault rifles and hi-cap mags should just be thrown under the bus to get this issue off the table. It would have been better if the gun lobby had just kept its mouth shut and let the thing resolve itself into some 'who cares' legislation-gun show background checks-big deal!

#54 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Then who said this:

[/font][/color]

?

Well, gosh you got me there didn't you? Happy now? Good thing you caught me too because I was about to cut a deal with the Senate leadership to do this.
Now what? I get my Rimfire Shooting epaulettes ripped off in the fort parade ground?

#55 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Nah, you can keep 'em. :P

#56 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Okay folks, this is starting to get personal again. How about we just end this and agree to disagree.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#57 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Okay folks, this is starting to get personal again. How about we just end this and agree to disagree.

Agreed, Carl. I apologize to Rim Noob and Woland in particular and the rest of the members of the forum in general.

#58 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Agreed, Carl. I apologize to Rim Noob and Woland in particular and the rest of the members of the forum in general.

Likewise, but not necessary in my case 1969. I am not the least bit personally sensitive in arguments. Good clean fun in my view.

#59 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

No problem, man - I was not offended by what was said - in my mind it serves good purpose -
to examine different angles - learn sth new. I hope I did not offend you you or anybody else.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#60 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song
Posted Image

2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#61 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

And so it goes on....

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#62 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

So they are indoctrinating the school children with the laws of their utopian society; teaching them to be compliant. This sounds vaguely familiar. Hmm, maybe Germany or Austria in the 1930's? Didn't that lead to totalitarianism or something? Naw, this must be different; couldn't happen here.

#63 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

So they are indoctrinating the school children with the laws of their utopian society; teaching them to be compliant. This sounds vaguely familiar. Hmm, maybe Germany or Austria in the 1930's? Didn't that lead to totalitarianism or something? Naw, this must be different; couldn't happen here.

What laws would you prefer they indoctinate them with? I think this stuff is absurd too, but it's jumping to a huge conclusion that this represents anything much beyond itself. There are,as far as I know, no utterly neutral educational environments, so it's a choose-you-poison situation.

#64 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Applying just a little common sense would be nice. How is a 7-year old boy pretending to throw a hand grenade a threatening gesture, let alone one that merits suspension?

#65 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Applying just a little common sense would be nice. How is a 7-year old boy pretending to throw a hand grenade a threatening gesture, let alone one that merits suspension?

I said I thought it was absurd, the opposite of common sense that is. I just don't see that one or two or one hundred such stupidities say much about the genearl level or direction of 'indoctrination'. The term usually used about the process is 'socialization', admittedly a hair splitting distinction, but the idea is that schools, for better or worse, are the place where kids get their notions of group or common social norms. My point before was that this requires that there be norms and that they be obviously taught or demonstrated. So, the choice is between or amongst norms, not between norms and no norms.

#66 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

...but it's jumping to a huge conclusion that this represents anything much beyond itself.

Yep, believing that way is a result of the indoctrination. :lol:

#67 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Yep, believing that way is a result of the indoctrination. :lol:

:huh: :huh: :huh: No way to logically refute that is there? Or not without us chasing ourselves around a circle anyhow ;)

#68 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I place these things up for consideration by readers of this forum because they are relevent and played out every day in school districts throughout the nation. The title of the thread was quite deliberate in that regard as well.

While I may not use the word "indoctronation", what it definately is is a form of "social engineering" Call it what you will, make no mistake, THERE IS AN AGENDA. This along with the concepts of "zero tolerance" take any thought out of the process. This is simply a "one size fits all" approach to those who wish not to spend any time or effort on exactly what may or may not be going on.

The issue is very near and dear to me. When my kids were younger and in the public school system, I used to receive a one page sheet of "policy" for the school district in which my kids were enrolled. The sheet of ploicies included the "weapons" policy and it was, to be frank, insane. They considered "facsimilies of deadly weapons" in the same regard true "deadly weapons" and even condisered "military style shoes" as "weapons" Yes, in fact some kindergartner found the handle piece of a plastic sandwhich toothpick - the one which looks like a tiny sword -and was expelled under this policy. IT HAPPENED! Another first grader (I think) found that her mother accidently left a paring knife in the childs lunchbox. The child did the right thing and brought it up to the teacher saying that she didn't think it belonged in her lunch box. The child was also expelled under that districts' weapons policy. IT HAPPENED! A kindergartner boy playing with a kindergartner girl gave her a little kiss on the cheek and was suspended under that district's sexual harassment policy. Neither child had any issue with the ocurrence. IT HAPPENED! I used to redline out and initial the sections of the policies which I did not agree with and refused myself or my children to be bound by, before I signed the paper. Over the years that my kids were in the public schools from kindergarten through high school the one page of policies evolved into a booklet of more than 25 pages with a separate sheet to sign where you agree to EVERYTHING. I signed the sheet and attached a page of the policies which I did not agree with and therefore would not be bound by. In the 17 years of this nonsense, between two children, I had received only one phone call from the school (at about the 15 or 16 year mark) over my concerns. I thanked them profusely as this was the first time I had any inkling that someone actually saw my redlines and read my statements. They told me they would arrange a meeting with a school official to clear up any issues. I thanked them again. Now some 7 years later, with both my children obtaining advanced college degrees, I'm still waiting for that meeting!

DON'T MISTAKE THIS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IT IS. Is governmental intrusion in the lives of it's citizenry at the earliest time possible. When the kids are away from their parents. It is an attempt to criminalize normal behavior of children creating a fear of authority in order to become passive and compliant.

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#69 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I place these things up for consideration by readers of this forum because they are relevent and played out every day in school districts throughout the nation. The title of the thread was quite deliberate in that regard as well.

While I may not use the word "indoctronation", what it definately is is a form of "social engineering" Call it what you will, make no mistake, THERE IS AN AGENDA. This along with the concepts of "zero tolerance" take any thought out of the process. This is simply a "one size fits all" approach to those who wish not to spend any time or effort on exactly what may or may not be going on.

The issue is very near and dear to me. When my kids were younger and in the public school system, I used to receive a one page sheet of "policy" for the school district in which my kids were enrolled. The sheet of ploicies included the "weapons" policy and it was, to be frank, insane. They considered "facsimilies of deadly weapons" in the same regard true "deadly weapons" and even condisered "military style shoes" as "weapons" Yes, in fact some kindergartner found the handle piece of a plastic sandwhich toothpick - the one which looks like a tiny sword -and was expelled under this policy. IT HAPPENED! Another first grader (I think) found that her mother accidently left a paring knife in the childs lunchbox. The child did the right thing and brought it up to the teacher saying that she didn't think it belonged in her lunch box. The child was also expelled under that districts' weapons policy. IT HAPPENED! A kindergartner boy playing with a kindergartner girl gave her a little kiss on the cheek and was suspended under that district's sexual harassment policy. Neither child had any issue with the ocurrence. IT HAPPENED! I used to redline out and initial the sections of the policies which I did not agree with and refused myself or my children to be bound by, before I signed the paper. Over the years that my kids were in the public schools from kindergarten through high school the one page of policies evolved into a booklet of more than 25 pages with a separate sheet to sign where you agree to EVERYTHING. I signed the sheet and attached a page of the policies which I did not agree with and therefore would not be bound by. In the 17 years of this nonsense, between two children, I had received only one phone call from the school (at about the 15 or 16 year mark) over my concerns. I thanked them profusely as this was the first time I had any inkling that someone actually saw my redlines and read my statements. They told me they would arrange a meeting with a school official to clear up any issues. I thanked them again. Now some 7 years later, with both my children obtaining advanced college degrees, I'm still waiting for that meeting!

DON'T MISTAKE THIS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IT IS. Is governmental intrusion in the lives of it's citizenry at the earliest time possible. When the kids are away from their parents. It is an attempt to criminalize normal behavior of children creating a fear of authority in order to become passive and compliant.

Planeflyr
Corey

Then send your kids somewhere else or homeschool them. Most states allow both options. But, if kids go to any school they are going to be bound by some code of conduct aren't they? and if for instance I was a radical parent and did not want my child exposed to prayer in a parochial school, on what grounds could I possibly gripe if they didn't accomodate me? It does no good to say that the public school is different because it is public funded and should therefore accomodate all points of view in conduct questions-that is obviously impossible. So, some 'community standard' is invoked, arrived at by whatever means the school districts or other jurisdictions utilize. It is, like most everything a political issue. The dominant political camp will be accused of pursuing an agenda. What political camp doesn't pursue an agenda and for that matter what poltical camp in reality doesn't 'intrude' when they have the chance? Where the intrusion occurs detrmines whether a person cares or doesn't care-that's all. There isn't some neutral benchmark for all this stuff despite the chinwagging about 'constituional this and constitutional that'. If the political power isn't there to implement something its 'constitutional' standing is entirey academic until it becomes juridical.

#70 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well, that sure didn't take long.

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#71 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

And so it goes on....

Planeflyr
Corey

O boy.... I shot so many people as a kid... mostly Nazis but also some cowboys and Indians - at least 5 every recess and 50 or so after school.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#72 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Here's another one. They get more bizarre each time!

http://kdvr.com/2013...into-gun-shape/

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#73 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

I saw that. Where is this nonsense going to lead? Video games in which nothing but killing (with guns) is OK but a pop tart bitten into the rough shape of a gun is not?

Why isn't Shaquille O'Neal being villified for his threatening gesture in his Buick commercial? He pointed his finger!!!

#74 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

I saw that. Where is this nonsense going to lead? Video games in which nothing but killing (with guns) is OK but a pop tart bitten into the rough shape of a gun is not?

Why isn't Shaquille O'Neal being villified for his threatening gesture in his Buick commercial? He pointed his finger!!!

I never in my wildest thoughts saw the pointed finger as anything but that. A pointed finger! Geez!

The 7 year old kid wasn't even trying to make it look like a gun. It just kind of, sort of did. A 7 year old kid, for god's sake! What next? Are we going to bring kids indoors when some clouds seem to take on the shape of a gun?

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#75 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

An old AF buddy sent this today... since this thread is re-activated, thougt I'd add it here.

Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is
like, Having a vasectomy for yourself because you believe that the neighbors have too many
kids.

Patrick Henry

#76 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

What I find most distressing about this one is how in creation did this crackpot ever get elected to state office.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=HPBucket

Planeflyr
Corey

Edited by planeflyr, 07 March 2013 - 05:23 PM.

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#77 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

It seems like it's now a competition to see who can come up with the stupidest idea.

#78 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Don't you have to have anger issues before they send you to anger management? I'm not mad enough at anyone to shoot them, but I 'd like to buy some ammo. What does one have to do with the other? Maybe we should send everyone who wants to buy a beer to alcohol treatment before he/she can buy it. Would make a lot more sense to send anyone who wants to run for public office to a some kind of common sense treatment.

Patrick Henry

#79 slim-willy

slim-willy

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:shooting then fishing then more shooting then more fishing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

this would be a great country if they would just quit trying to save my miserable life, in the last twenty years they have made more laws pointed at trying to save life and they don't care how many constitutional right you have to give up, as long as they get what they think is right , so pretty soon we will have to learn a new language Chinese or Arabic depends on who takes over first because
we can't defend ourselves as we have in the past , Japan didn't invade main land America because we had citizens that were armed

#80 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is
like, Having a vasectomy for yourself because you believe that the neighbors have too many
kids.

It would be a good analogy if human genitals were detachable.
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#81 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

this would be a great country if they would just quit trying to save my miserable life, in the last twenty years they have made more laws pointed at trying to save life and they don't care how many constitutional right you have to give up, as long as they get what they think is right , so pretty soon we will have to learn a new language Chinese or Arabic depends on who takes over first because
we can't defend ourselves as we have in the past , Japan didn't invade main land America because we had citizens that were armed

As a matter of demonstrable fact, English is becoming the default language around the world not Chinese or Arabic or any other. Japan didn't invade mainland America because there was an impossibly long supply line among other things, armed citizens never hurt the cause of home defense but a huge body of water is pretty effective too (or in the case of England, a small body of water).

#82 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Maybe a little too much personal info here, but I had a vasectomy many years ago, and I can assure you they are "detachable".

Patrick Henry

#83 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

They're just not re-attachable. Once they're gone, they're gone.

One only needs to take a look at Congress to see a vast collection of those whose have been detached.

#84 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Actually, from what I understand, they have had limited success re-attaching them.... not sure why anyone would want to though :P In this case, shooting blanks is just as good.

Patrick Henry

#85 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Maybe a little too much personal info here, but I had a vasectomy many years ago, and I can assure you they are "detachable".

Ditto. The second best decision in my life. (The first was marrying her and inheriting my daughter in the process)

The sad part is there is as much misinformation spread about vasectomys as there is about fire arms.

And shooting blanks can be very good. Get all the heat, noise, and flame, and no damage to the target.

Never regretted it, never looked back.

If she hadn't passed the range would still be "hot".

Hope you are still dug out, lookedlike you had some more "white" on the way.

Be well, friend.

MMM

#86 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I don't think there is much of a chance of more snow, and if we do get some, it will melt off tomorrow when it hits 50 degrees. Daughter in colorado got more, but I think it's going north of us. Supposed to get into the 70s later in the week... don't know why we're going to Hawaii Friday when it's 70 here.
Picked a bad time to go.... local Juco basketball teams, both men and women qualified for their respective national tournaments in Hutchinson and Salina next week. We have renewed men's tickets for over 20 years and this is the first time since 1997 that they have qualified. Women were national runners-up last year, but been a few years for the men's team.
Also KSU Wildcats tied for 1st in the Big 12 ... Great year for b'ball here!

Go 'Cats and Blue Dragons!!

Patrick Henry

#87 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Ouch! I hope the surgeon was not a sushi chef posing as doctor.... ;-)
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#88 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Ouch! I hope the surgeon was not a sushi chef posing as doctor.... ;-)

No, but he thought he was a comedian.... you don't really want to laugh when he is holding a knife. Said "At least you're relaxed. Some guys I almost have to go through their throat to get them." Another funny thing was, his nurse was my boss's wife.

Patrick Henry

#89 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

(...) Another funny thing was, his nurse was my boss's wife.

I see.. Plot thickens....
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#90 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

When will it end?

This time a 5 year old girl and a bubble maker!

http://www.cnn.com/2...-girl-suspended

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#91 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

As I've said before, the sad part of this is that there are people who think this is appropriate and good school administration. If there weren't, no such policies would be on the books.

#92 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Gaarrrkkkk!

I supose it is a good thing the girl diddn't have a camera and wanted to "shoot" a picture of her friend.

Never thought Bevis and Butthead would be administrators.

MMM

#93 Woland

Woland

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

When will it end?

This time a 5 year old girl and a bubble maker!

http://www.cnn.com/2...-girl-suspended

Planeflyr
Corey

Fully automatic military style bubble maker with with external detachable soap water container? Why are those things available to civilians?
2012 CZ 455 FS 22LR

#94 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

LOL - When Super Soakers were all the rage back around 1990 my son built the HydroTerminator II. It consisted of two 2 liter plastic Pepsi bottles attached inverted to a back board with shoulder straps, feeding into a hose with a trigger valve and a high pressure nozzle. A tire valve in the plumbing was used to bring the pressure up to 120 lbs. Safety straps ensured the bottles couldn't become missiles. It was similar to a WWII flame thrower in design. Our beloved WaffenDHS (Homeland Security) would assuredly take him out with a drone strike today.

Mark

#95 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Another 5-year old kindergarther suspended from school.

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#96 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't even know what to make of this one.

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#97 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

One of these days we'll be down to "Tiddlywinks" and no one will be allowed to win or lose. I don't know what is wrong with these people that do not approve of competition.... the kids will wonder what hit them when they get out in the real world. Competition teaches that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and hopefully, you do both with grace (although that part has also fallen by the wayside).

Patrick Henry

#98 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Amen, brother. They will be blind-sided.

Maybe it is time to change the state motto to something besides "Live free or die".

OTOH, Tiddlywinks IS a KIND of "rim fire". (Real hard to get inflection in typing)

Be well.

MMM

#99 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Clearly these people were the ones picked last at any game and they are acting on their deep seated insecurities. They are also the ones that stand frozen in front of a crazy person awaiting their turn to be shot.

#100 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Here we go again!

“A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made,”

So says Bethanne Bradshaw a spokesperson for Suffolk County, Virginia Publid Schools.

http://radio.foxnews...-suspended.html

Planeflyr
Corey

-Dustin Hoffman

-Mama Leone

#101 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

“A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made,”

This from someone who has probably never handled, fired, or been anywhere near a gun being fired. I'm amazed that they are able to cultivate such wisdom on a subject about which they have absolutely no experience or knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users