4 replies to this topic

#1 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I recently glommed an H&R 5200 at an auction. Very similar to my H&R M12, but with a walnut stock.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A buddy is putting on a small bore "match stick match" on Monday, so I used a Viani scope mount and mounted a B&L 6-24 scope on this one. I took it to the range yesterday along with a Remington 513T that I will be using (my younger son will use the H&R).

Both rifles shot well, but as the practice session went on, the H&R developed a habit of not extracting the shells. Toward the end, every shell had to be pushed out with a brass rod from the bore.

Anyone know what could cause this?

#2 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Love those H&R's! Would love to find a 5200 and M12/MC-58 to sit along side the M65.

I'm sure you checked all the usual items of having a clean chamber and having cleaned and oiled the extractor and ejector. Many times worn extractor and ejector claws and weak springs will pop off the rim if there is too much resistance from a dirty chamber. Often these conditions can be difficult to
troubleshoot. Have you tried different ammo? The relative "hardness" of the brass from different manufacturers can also contribute to failure to extract.

Good luck and let us know what you found to be the problem(s).

Planeflyr
Corey

"Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality"
-Dustin Hoffman

Those who do not remember the Pasta are condemned to Reheat it.
-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

-wish I knew who to attribute this quote to

#3 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Beautiful looking H&R Calfed. Hope you get the problem worked out.
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#4 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Love those H&R's! Would love to find a 5200 and M12/MC-58 to sit along side the M65.

I'm sure you checked all the usual items of having a clean chamber and having cleaned and oiled the extractor and ejector. Many times worn extractor and ejector claws and weak springs will pop off the rim if there is too much resistance from a dirty chamber. Often these conditions can be difficult to
troubleshoot. Have you tried different ammo? The relative "hardness" of the brass from different manufacturers can also contribute to failure to extract.

Good luck and let us know what you found to be the problem(s).

Planeflyr
Corey

Could be a cleaning issue...the bolt was somewhat difficult to turn when chambering a round...I assumed it was a "match chamber" issue, but I haven't cleaned it since I got it. Also, it started out working fine...after 70 or 80 rounds, the problem started.

Thanks.

Beautiful looking H&R Calfed. Hope you get the problem worked out.

Thanks, Walt.

Edited by Calfed, 28 December 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#5 Calfed

Calfed

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

My son and I shot the match yesterday, he with the 5200, me with a scoped Remington 513T. I mounted a Bausch and Lomb 6-24X scope on the 5200 and a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X on the Remington.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It was pretty cold (low 30's) for these parts and it seemed to have affected the zero of the rifles. Winds were light and variable. We had to re-zero the rifles a bit to get them back on target. The match was shot off a sand bag front rest, no (except for your hand) rear rest At 50 yards.

Here is my son's warm up target. Unfortunately we turned in our official targets.

Posted Image

The bullseyes on the left and right were to warm up and re-zero the rifle. The center group was a 4 shot (.403") group to confirm the re-zero. You can see some of my son's match stick hits as he settled in on the target. He was using the CMP black box practice ammo.

I'm kinda interested in what honest-to-God target ammo would do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users