4 replies to this topic

#1 stubeeef

stubeeef

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've been a real Skeet addict for about 15 months, doing that well enough to branch out at the gun club. I bought a plinker (Beretta Neos and Carbine kit) and went to our very nice rimfire range the other day and had a blast. The smell from the first round brought me back to my childhood on the YMCA camp range I would shoot at back in the 60s/70s.

I have been pointed in numerous directions to purchase a new or used rifle to plink some more and kit my 3 teenage daughters involved.

I have a Rem Speedmaster 552 in awful shape-sent an email today to a very good local gunsmith to explore rebuilding it (was my grandfathers), and as stated above I have a Neos with the Carbine Kit and very bad RedDot on top.

Guys in the know started me in the Rugar 1022 direction, and now pointing me in the CZ 452 camp.

i'm looking for something I can get pretty darn accurate up to 100 yds, maybe not win a national competition, and certainly not crazy expensive or needs to be fed high dollar brass.

I look forward to reading a lot here and doing some learning!

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to RFS, you are certainly headed in the right direction.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 Monty23

Monty23

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Welcome stubeeef, from a new member as well. You are definately in the right direction. The 10/22 aftermarket accessory selection is on par with the AR-15 accessory market that is out there. You can do literally a thousand different things with it and still have it be fairly cheap and get great accuracy out of it.

#4 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Welcome to Rimfire Shooting stubeeef!

Get that Remington 552 up and running. I bet it proves to be a good rifle.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#5 ShootingStar

ShootingStar

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore Benchrest, most every type of Shooting & Hunting

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Welcome aboard and to the addiction!!! Maybe you can get those teenage daughters interested as well!!! The young folks are the future of the sport and country - they need to have the right knowledge and capabilities with guns of all types!

As to good rifles to get - get both the 10/22 AND the CZ!! how 'bout them apples!!! With multiple people shooting, you're gonna need some equipment and more is always better! Can I have an "Amen"? Seriously, the 10/22 can be customized for any type or style of shooting and get very good accuracy - if you pick the ammo it likes. The CZ comes from the factory VERY capable of good accuracy - even very good accuracy. You may have to tweak or replace the trigger to get its best acuracy, but non of that is very costly either. You get 2 different rifle actions (semi-auto and bolt) but well built, accurate and fun guns to shoot.

Get those girls to help you "select" the ammo for all 3 rifles. Buy a selection of high velocity and match grade ammo and give them a good try from bench rests. Not only does this tell you what the rifle likes, it builds good shooting skills at the same time. Be sure to get quality scopes for them to better see the results as they happen but also to have the repeatability in the adjustment because the different ammo's will likely shoot to different points of impact - especiall going from Hi velocity to match grade (usually about 1040-1080 fps - much slower that the hi vel stuff)!

Good luck - enjoy the journey. Enjoy the children - they won't be there after a few more blinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users