dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, Fly Fishing, Hunting, Coins

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok folks, my first thread on the forums:

As a kid, my Dad gave me a Winchester 320 as my very first rifle. 5-shot, mag fed, bolt action that strongly resembles an older Anschutz, and is incredibly accurate. I have put 10s of thousands of rounds through it, and had it refinished a couple of years ago by a very good gunsmith in the Prattville area. It looks and shoots as brand new again (I have always taken meticulous care of it, under the threat of Dad taking it away if I didn't when I was a kid).

The gunsmith told me that he thought the gun was made by Anschutz for Winchester, but in reading the 1-2 threads here on the 320/310 series, there seems to be some thought that it was a Kimber design (Model 82)? There is almost no info on the 320 that I've been able to find, so if anyone knows the actual history, one of my life's greatest quests can be completed :)

Also, I've gleaned from this forum that the Kimber 82 magazine will fit the Winchester 320? Anyone know for sure that they will?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
David
Wetumpka, AL

#2 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have a bit of info I have read along the way of learning about my Kimber 82G. The Winchester 320/310 models had all the metal made and assembled in Australia in the design of the future owner of the Kimber company. I think Warne? not sure about his name, but it was his design and was carried over to his American company called Kimber. The wood was done here in the Winchester factory as I understand it. Your magazine will fit the Kimber 82 model repeaters, and that in and of itself adds value to your rifle as a simple part.

The Kimber line was discontinued. There are virtually NO parts for them available. Some parts are slowly being made as aftermarket, but magazines are not really available as I understand it.

The Kimber 82's are a prized addition to any collection.

The design is a good one, and the 82G's are showing up at all kinds of matches and doing well shooting well out of their price class.

There is more info, I am sure others will chime in with other info.

#3 Stray Round

Stray Round

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I've always wanted to shoot one of the Winchester 320s. They came out a head of their time, there were very few high grade 22s when the 300s was introduced.

#4 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

I have always loved the gun. As a kid, I had excellent eyesight and pretty good hand-eye, so I always fancied that I was just a good shot. Now with decades of experience under my belt, I realize just how much was because of the gun itself. It really is an accurate gun, and if my collection had to shrink back down to one gun only, it would be the 320 (for sentimental reasons, but performance as well).

I have been looking for magazines for it forever (only have the original, which is still in excellent shape, but always wanted 1-2 extras for when the inevitable happens). The design of the Kimber 82 mag looks to be identical, if I can find some of them either.

And Dwight....I never got around to that 1906 the other night.....hopefully tonight.....but it will require at least one highball of Old Forester to complete, so I'll have to make a run for another bottle of my favorite "gun cleaning accessory" first :)
David
Wetumpka, AL

#5 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

http://www.gunbroker...Keywords=kimber

Here is a search string for Gunbroker. They are not all that bad pricing from what I see here. I had always thought they were in the $100 range. Learning every day here!

The word from the Kimber 82 repeater shooters is that the magazines are interchangeable as are many of the other parts on the two rifles.

#6 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Longplay! Gonna grab one and see if it works. If it does, you just helped check off something that's been on my list for 27 years....literally.
David
Wetumpka, AL

#7 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

LongPlay, and anyone else interested....I ordered a 10 shot clip for a Kimber 82 from Numrich.....$41.

Works like a charm in the 320 :)

Thanks again!!!!
David
Wetumpka, AL

#8 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Love to see a good plan come together. This forum is about the best I have ever seen for members coming in and helping me out of situations where I am sitting there with a sack full of parts, and a big ""?"" sitting right in the middle of my forehead!

Glad that thing works for you. I have seen a few of these 320's for sale recently, and they are really good looking shooters. I think if it is basically stock, it would work pretty well in the sporter class of the USBR matches. If so, practice up..... I will be at the NASA range for the Nationals unless something really bad happens with my trusty Browning 52 all polished up and ready for pictures!!

See if you can make it up to the match in May, I think the 5th. It is always a hoot and lots of great folks to shoot with and have a great day. I see you are not too far from Prattville. I worked a job there several years back at a power plant. That is some nice area down there!

#9 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Not far at all from Prattville. My shops are in Millbrook and Wetumpka, and I live between Wetumpka and Tallassee. I haven't done any competition shooting....yet....but that is coming very soon. My business partner's son (14, and a great kid) is wanting to get into it, and we have almost got Dad convinced to let him with a little oversight from me (it is an excuse for me to be in the shops less, and shooting more, so I think the kid has come across an EXCELLENT idea!).

Thanks for steering me toward the Kimber 82. I literally have been looking for mags for years (20 or more) because I knew I would eventually wear my old factory original out, and the thought of not being able to shoot it was one of my biggest fears in life. Now, no worries! You're my new best friend, but I'm pretty certain the squirrels are plotting a painfully slow demise for you now!
David
Wetumpka, AL

#10 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Anyone else looking for the clips.....somehow there are 3-4 on eBay right now. I'm bidding strong on a couple of them, but there are others I haven't looked at. There are 2-3 originals, factory new, in the box.

And Swiss, I got an email, but the conversation (PM) is gone? My email is davidlwoodall@gmail.com if you need to reach me that way.

Thanks!
David
Wetumpka, AL

#11 Swiss

Swiss

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, plinking, target shooting, reloading
    center fire

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Ok dwood you have E-mail.
I think it worked....LOL

Swiss

#12 dwood

dwood

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hmmm......I think I may have deleted the email, but....I looked again this morning and your PM here was back! So I replied there.

Thanks Swiss!
David
Wetumpka, AL

#13 hushkaboom

hushkaboom

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

I think only the 320 actions were sent to the US and Winchester put on the barrels and wood here. To find more info do online searches for Sportco Australia. Jack Warne. Omark Australia. Also look at the history section of the Warne scope mounts website. Look at your action when out of the stock left side below the Winchester stamping. Should say Omark Australia Ltd with Australia under that stamped in tiny print. Brief history from my feeble memory. Jack Warne started Sportco Australia and did conversions to surplus rifles. He then began manufacturing rifles. Then powder actuated industrial fastener guns. Contract for fastener guns with Omark led to buyout by Omark and Warne went to Portland Oregon to work for Omark. He started Kimber of Oregon with his son Greg while still working for Omark. I bought a used 320 a few months ago and still have not shot it. Came with a ten round mag and I found a new in the box 5 rounder on another rimfire site.

#14 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have 2 5 round and 1 10 round that I bought with my Kimber Classic left hand about 25 years ago. I picked up a Triple-K mag at a gun show a couple of years ago. It was $25 and works, but is not the quality of my factory mags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users