6 replies to this topic

#1 e-man

e-man

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I recently purchased a new Savage Arms Mark II BV. I brought it home for a thorough evaluation, and noticed a couple of issues.

First, I noticed that the spacing between the fully floated barrel and the stock are not the same on either side. It appears that during the manufacturing process, to much material was removed from one side of the inner surface of the stock. Is this common amongst todays firearms?

Second, I noticed the outer circumference of the muzzle has a very rough surface. It appears to have been scraped against something hard. Is there anyhing I can do to refinish this gouged up edge, to make it look like it should?

I am in the process of contacting Savage to get there take on it.

Thanks for your input.

#2 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I would just wait and see what Savage has to say before doing anything.

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#3 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes, I would follow Walt's advice. However, I can say, I have seen this before in Savage Arms rimfires. Seems there is just too much pressure to provide a rimfire at a very low cost to allow for any final finish checking and certainly almost NO margin in the system to fix such things.

When all does come together, they can be a decent and accurate rifle. But it does seem to be a luck of the draw kind of thing more and more these days.

#4 Rockchuck

Rockchuck

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , Palma , High Power & Small bore Rifle
    Rfle work , working up loads and testing

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Send it Back.
One of my Pals Pick up a New Savage .17. Out of the box the trigger would not work. The store said call Savage. When he got it back it would not feed.
The thrid time was charm.
Shoots very will.
Don

#5 rem511

rem511

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest shooting for the fun of it. Own a Savage Anschutz 64 as my primary. Own a few different 500 series. Want to soak up as much information as I can. I may ask a shit ton of stupid questions but please be patient.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

When they shoot they shoot well. Savage usually stands behind their products, functionality portion anyway. I've never dealt with a finish issue with them. For the extra money I would look into Cz. I've never owned one but all that I've seen are beautiful.

#6 e-man

e-man

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I called Savage, and they are sending the UPS man to pick it up tomorrow. I will have to wait to find out what Savage plans to do.
Thanks for the comments.

#7 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just a little heads up. I purchased a TR about a year and half ago and it was not a very good shooter. i sent it back to them and it took almost 8 weeks to get it back from them. They fixed the problem the best they could and it shoots very well for a plinking rifle but just was not up to snuff for a benchrest gun. Good luck. They are really good about taking care of the issue but it may take a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users