16 replies to this topic

#1 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

I've finally finished my 541 Wannabe...........hurray!! The trigger was the last item to do, which was to fit a Rem. 788 Timney trigger. The bolt stop and the safety are the main hangups. The bolt stop was an easy fix, but that darn safety was a bear. I've had several triggers in this rifle from a stock trigger to a Voelker setup, and a Canjar. The Canjar would adjust light enough, but I don't care for single set triggers. I was always hoping I could find a 3 screw 541 trigger, but no such luck, so I tackeled the Timney project. It breaks at a nice clean 18oz., which is where I like my Squirrel rifle triggers. This rifle will now match my KDF K22 and that was my goal. Sorta of a dumb exspensive project though. The KDF is a stock rifle and the only thing stock on the 581S is the bolt and action. <_<
Nevertheless, it was fun building it.
Here's a picture of it.
Posted Image

K22

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Neat Project and great work making all the pieces fit and work !

Whoever said projects come out in the black anyway....none of mine ever have.....we do it because we love it :heartpump:

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

Nice looking Remington you've got there.

I've been looking for a 540X/XR trigger, slightly different from the 3 screw 541S trigger, myself. Don't seem to be real common. The trigger location in the trigger guard (LOP) is farther forward than a 541S. If anyone has one to part with, please PM me.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 gmd1950

gmd1950

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire shooting, hunting, center fire pistols, golf, lots of golf

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

K22, if you get a chance would like to see a close up of that butt stock, from what I can see believe you've got some pretty nice wood going there. My local gun shop has a 541S on consignment, very nice handling rifle, 599.00 if I recall.

#5 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the compliments. This was a nice piece of wood gmd1950. Here's a better picture of it before I rebarreled it.

Posted Image

Your right DWight, it generally is a loosing project unless you figure in ourselves. :D

Nice looking Remington you've got there.

I've been looking for a 540X/XR trigger, slightly different from the 3 screw 541S trigger, myself. Don't seem to be real common. The trigger location in the trigger guard (LOP) is farther forward than a 541S. If anyone has one to part with, please PM me.

Will the 540X/XR trigger fit a 541? I haven't worked with any of the 540's.

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Will the 540X/XR trigger fit a 541? I haven't worked with any of the 540's.

Yes it will. The only real difference is the trigger piece itself. The trigger face is farther forward giving it a longer LOP and changing the "leverage" somewhat. I believe they will adjust down a little lower also. I would like to get down to 8 oz. or a little less.

Patrick Henry

#7 gmd1950

gmd1950

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire shooting, hunting, center fire pistols, golf, lots of golf

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:31 AM

Thanks K22, I thought I spied some nice swirlies going on there, beautiful rifle and when they shoot too its just really good.

#8 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

Thanks K22, I thought I spied some nice swirlies going on there, beautiful rifle and when they shoot too its just really good.

You're welcome gmd1950. That was a random pick stock, so I was very fortunate. It took longer than I expected, mainly due to my being so picky. I think I've had 3 stocks, 4 triggers, and 3 barrels on this one, but now I'm really satisfied..........well......I think I am anyway. <_< :lol: If I was to do this all over again.........oh boy, here I go again.........I wouldn't use quite as tight of chamber.

Carl, did you see that 541-T trigger on ebay? I know it's not what you want, but $150 to start? Man, I can't believe that.

K22

#9 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

Carl, did you see that 541-T trigger on ebay? I know it's not what you want, but $150 to start? Man, I can't believe that.

K22

There was a 540XR trigger a while back that I put a low bid on, but the bolt release had been modified. I figured I could use it for parts if I got it cheap, but I used the "Ask the seller a question" about the bolt release. He didn't know much about it, but the pictures looked like the hole in the housing had been drilled out (he said it didn't have a "step" in it for a spring) and it had some kind of plug made to go in the hole that may have stuck up above the housing to stop the bolt. Not sure how it would work.

Sometimes people get a little carried away bidding on these things...eg.: somebody paid $152 a while back for a Lyman 17A w/inserts that can still be bought new from Brownells for $28.95 plus $13.95 for an insert set. One thing about an auction... it takes "two to tango" !

Patrick Henry

#10 pickles

pickles

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

K22, can the 788 timney trigger be modified to fit the 541,
I want to get mine down to 18-20 oz. if possible. I am a nube
to 22 match shooting and want to use my 541 for sporter class.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pickles
Semper Fi

#11 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

The 788 trigger can be modified for the 540/580 series. The safety lever needs to be modified for the stock. I don't know if the Timney will go that low as I believe the "Sportsman" model of Timney is what is available. 18 to 20 oz is a stretch for the Sportsman models. I have one on a '96 Mauser action that is set at about 23 or 24 oz and it's as low as it would safely go. Still, it's a great feeling trigger for a hunting rifle. Maybe there was a target trigger also, but what I have seen are Sportsman series.
BTW, I did trade for a 540XR trigger, but have not installed it. I was playing with it and a small spring decided it wanted to hide behind our treadmill and I can't find it Posted Image . I plan to take it to Brian Voelker the next time I am "up home" for a visit, but I didn't get there this year. I just hope it doesn't take a funeral to get me there.

Patrick Henry

#12 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hi Carl,

"Sweeping" the floor area with a magnet is one good way to find those pesky traveling parts. The hardcore way would be to use a vacuum cleaner provided said part could survive that. Still thinking about doing a Timney trigger for my 581 too. Prices seem kinda high on GB, but seeing that I really want one, maybe they're more affordable than I think Posted Image.

Technical Director

Edited by Technical Director, 10 October 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#13 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

TD,

A 788 Timney trigger works great in the 581/541. The bolt stop will need to be modified slightly and the safety. If you contact Timney, they will sell you another bolt stop and a safety to fit the rimfire. The Timney trigger is ALMOST as nice as a 3 screw 541 Rem. trigger, but the Rem. trigger will go down safely to 9 - 10oz. with some polishing and spring mods. A Canjar trigger is really the best one for a super light safe trigger pull. But they are really hard to find.

#14 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

TD,

A 788 Timney trigger works great in the 581/541. The bolt stop will need to be modified slightly and the safety. If you contact Timney, they will sell you another bolt stop and a safety to fit the rimfire. The Timney trigger is ALMOST as nice as a 3 screw 541 Rem. trigger, but the Rem. trigger will go down safely to 9 - 10oz. with some polishing and spring mods. A Canjar trigger is really the best one for a super light safe trigger pull. But they are really hard to find.

I'll have to look into this, K22, as I didn't know if Timney would be able to also take care of the bolt stop and safety modification issues. This'll make it a nicer project being able to get all of the necessary parts at one time. Yeah, the search and wrech spinning is a lot of fun, but getting it going sooner is more funner :).

Thanks, Technical Director

#15 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

I took the 788 bolt stop and filed it down to fit a 581 and then with a combination of a file and a torch, reshaped the 788 safety so it would also fit. The biggest problem with the safety lever is it travels rearward to much. You'll either have to remove a lot of wood from the stock (not a good idea) or reshape the safety lever so it curves in towards the rifle action and shorten its rearward travel.
It's a little easier than it sounds.

#16 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

Great looking rifle and lots of good trigger info. Thanks

Do you still have the Canjar trigger and if so is it something you would consider parting with? If so please PM me

#17 1Merlin

1Merlin

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Long time lurker brought out of the darkness to comment on this thread. Wanted to do this exact thing - with the exact same base gun for years. I saw this one and had to post and say "WOW".

K22 - you are The Man....!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users