17 replies to this topic

#1 Danny01

Danny01

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

I just used some JB bore paste to lap some scope rings with and it worked great. At least I will get some use out of it now. It sure wont go in any more barrels

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

I just used some JB bore paste to lap some scope rings with and it worked great. At least I will get some use out of it now. It sure wont go in any more barrels

That's good to know. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 Rockchuck

Rockchuck

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , Palma , High Power & Small bore Rifle
    Rfle work , working up loads and testing

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Why no more barrels ?? :blink:

I have found it good over the years.

Don

#4 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Were the ring bottoms aluminum or steel?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#5 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

Why no more barrels ?? :blink:

I have found it good over the years.

Don

I'm curious also.

#6 Danny01

Danny01

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'm curious also.

I used it to polish the bore on my CZ and I was still getting the stuff out of the barrell 2 months later. Using it very lightly for cleaning is probably OK. But using it heavy can cause problems

#7 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

I use it in front of the chamber if a carbon ring starts to build; works great. A friend tried it on his "shot out" (yeah right) barrel and scored a 1597 out of 1600 at last month's prone match.

Mark

#8 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Mark and/or Que, what do you apply it with? I have tried a fairly tight mop on a pistol cleaning rod, so as not to go too far. But it seems like it is not very effective. For real lapping, I have used a bronze brush wrapped in cotton from a cotton ball to fill in all the space, and slathered up with bore paste.

But that rig needs to go all the way through, no backing up with the brush... Just wondering what you folks use. It is time to give all my bench rifles a good cleaning..

#9 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,511 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

JB is like a hammer.....Claws facing you and swing careful.....good results :D
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#10 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

I use it on a tight mop and I haven't had any problems with it.

#11 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

Mark and/or Que, what do you apply it with? I have tried a fairly tight mop on a pistol cleaning rod, so as not to go too far. But it seems like it is not very effective. For real lapping, I have used a bronze brush wrapped in cotton from a cotton ball to fill in all the space, and slathered up with bore paste.

But that rig needs to go all the way through, no backing up with the brush... Just wondering what you folks use. It is time to give all my bench rifles a good cleaning..

I know you directed your question to Mark & Que but I figured I'd answer anyway. You're welcome to ignore my response...my family does so I'm used to it. I use JB on a tight patch with a jag like the instructions say to. Seems to work pretty well.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#12 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

I know you directed your question to Mark & Que but I figured I'd answer anyway. You're welcome to ignore my response...my family does so I'm used to it. I use JB on a tight patch with a jag like the instructions say to. Seems to work pretty well.

I do the same.

Mark

#13 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

Patrick, I never mean to leave you or anyone else out!! :o I just figured with as many rifles as Que handles he has probably done it wrong enough times to know what is right by now.... well, that's how I learn anyway!! And Mark just sounded like he does it a lot....

I use a mop, but I do not know how tight it is. And I did hear about a tight patch.. Not sure I understand, so I will ask more specifics...

I use pre-cut patches on a jag with a simple single point. They are not really all that tight. Do you just use double patches? or cut bigger ones?
I guess it is pretty obvious that in the Bench game, I do not clean these rifles too often!!! :o

But it is getting along about time to do it all again... and I want to polish this chamber area.....

#14 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

I double up two thin Hoppe's smallbore patches.

Mark

#15 Rockchuck

Rockchuck

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

Thanks to one and all, so glad I asked about JB ??

Just my 2 cents : A patch around a jag JB cut with Shooters Choise back and forth 7-10 pulls. Then push a patch on a jag with shooters till clean.

Thanks Again,
Don :D

#16 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

I know there are a lot of different cleaning products and all that are marketed towards guns or are gun related.

I just didn't know where to add this so I figured I'd tag it onto here. there are 4 products I always keep handy when working in my shop.

Rem Oil
PB Blaster
Brake Parts Cleaner (Blue can found at WM)
Simple Green

Also around depending on what I am doing
Hopps
ATF F
WD-40
Oil 10 & 30 wt

#17 Rockchuck

Rockchuck

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

I know there are a lot of different cleaning products and all that are marketed towards guns or are gun related.

I just didn't know where to add this so I figured I'd tag it onto here. there are 4 products I always keep handy when working in my shop.

Rem Oil
PB Blaster
Brake Parts Cleaner (Blue can found at WM)
Simple Green

Also around depending on what I am doing
Hopps
ATF F
WD-40
Oil 10 & 30 wt

Que,

Our rooms look a little alike.
Good stuff .
Thanks,
Don

#18 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Heck, guess I'll join the party too :). With any type of "paste", I'm always watchful that I'm applying it as evenly as possible, therefore, I'll use a bore mop in lieu of patches. Of the different brands of paste, I also will use IOSSO Bore Cleaner. Like a lot of folks, you kinda develope a second hand feel for what product you think will get the job done, without inadvertainly doing any permanent damage.

Edited by Technical Director, 08 August 2011 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users