• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Last February, after I'd sent in my paperwork to CMP for my Kimber 82G, I'd read a couple of posts over on the other site where some folks had put their 82G barreled actions into Kimber model 84 SSV (Single Shot Varmint or Stainless Steel Varmint depending on who you ask) stocks that they'd purchased from a guy on Gunbroker.com. After messaging with a couple of the guys regarding what needed to be done to the stock to make it work with the 82G I decided it sounded like a good project for me so I ordered one along with the trigger guard, grip cap, & screws.

Attached File  Kimber 82G_SSV 001.jpg   125.91KB   39 downloads

Attached File  Kimber 82G_SSV 002.jpg   126.06KB   34 downloads

It's been a lot of work inletting the stock and modifying the trigger guard to make everything fit but I think it was well worth the effort. The rifle isn't 100% complete and ready to shoot yet. I still have to put some tru-oil on the barrel channel and the area that I've inletted. The rings on the rifle in the pics aren't quite high enough and the objective bell touches the barrel (just barely) so the rings are only tight enough to hold the scope for the pics. I should have new rings on order by the end of this week. The stock already has pillars in it but I'll eventually do a skim coat of bedding compound to make sure the action and stock fit together as perfectly as possible. I also need to get some 6-48 plug screws to fill the holes in the barrel from where the front sight and scope blocks mount but that's only cosmetic so I'm not too worried about it for now. I do want the rifle to look finished so I will order some from Brownells the next time I need to order something. Last, I need to get a new striker spring from J&P and rework the firing pin tip to ensure that the rifle has the best ignition possible. Once these remaining items are complete I should be all set for the fun part, the ammo testing. Which reminds me....I need to order more ammo too.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#2 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Nice Patrick :tumbs:

Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#3 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

Now, that's a great looking 82 Patrick! I am betting you are all over that set of rings, so you can get it out and shoot it properly.
Got you a nice piece of lumber there as well. I am curious??? How much does it weigh? My first guess is around 9 pounds all in all.....
That will shoot well, all of these Kimbers do. Just how well, will depend on how well you can get it to ride the bags and how good the
pillars and skim coat go.....

#4 Rockchuck

Rockchuck

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , Palma , High Power & Small bore Rifle
    Rfle work , working up loads and testing

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Now, that's a great looking 82 Patrick! I am betting you are all over that set of rings, so you can get it out and shoot it properly.
Got you a nice piece of lumber there as well. I am curious??? How much does it weigh? My first guess is around 9 pounds all in all.....
That will shoot well, all of these Kimbers do. Just how well, will depend on how well you can get it to ride the bags and how good the
pillars and skim coat go.....

Pat,

Very Nice.

Would you think of getting off the old stock ????
Don
shilorock2@msn.com

#5 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Chance & LP!

LP,

I am anxious to get the new rings but I'm not sure when I'll have the time to start shooting/testing the 82G. At the beginning of the season I set a goal for myself to make it into AA classification for NRA Hunter Class silhouette with my CZ American. So far I haven't been able to shoot above high A class scores. So, with only a limited number of opportunities left to shoot sanctioned matches and limited ability to get the range, I need to spend as much time practicing my offhand with the American as possible. Which doesn't leave me with a lot of time to shoot the Kimber or anything else for that matter. I also just returned from vacation with my family and I was just informed by the finance manager (my wife) that there's not exactly a lot of extra room in the budget at the moment for more shooting accessories, even if it's only a $20.00 set of scope rings. So, in order to keep the peace, the rings (and plug screws that I need) may have to wait. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned since family needs are certainly a higher priority than my shooting/hobby needs. That's just life in my house and I'm used to having to wait for things. I just keep a running list of things I want/need and purchase them as the finances allow.

At 9# you're very close regarding the weight of the rifle. My scale won't weigh anything over 7# so I have to weigh the parts individually and add them up. As far as I can tell the rifle weighs 8# 14 oz with the scope and front sight blocks mounted and without the sling swivel studs. This weight doesn't include the scope and rings. My plan is to take the rifle (less scope and rings) with me to the Wisconsin State Silhouette match next month and have them weigh it before the match to see exactly what the rifle currently weighs and how much room I have to work with for scope and rings. As I've said before, I hope that I can make the 10# 2oz weight limit for standard class silhouette. If it won't make the weight I can easily lose a full ounce by removing the steel grip cap. If it still doesn't make weight I can still use the rifle for our non-sanctioned club matches at my local club but I won't use it for the NRA sanctioned matches I attend in Wisconsin.

For BR shooting and ammo testing the rifle should ride the bags just fine with the SSV stock providing I use a #1 or #2 to front bag, which I have. The barreled action sits much lower in the SSV stock than it does with the 82G stock so there won't be nearly as much wobble as there would be with original stock. With the SSV stock I also have the ability to add my 3" Hart accuracy plate to the forend so the rifle should be very stable in a #3 bag. The only problem I have is that my #3 bag is currently shaped to fit the 2 1/4" forend of my 541 and I'm not sure I want to reshape it to fit a 3" forend. I'll have to try it and see how easy it will be to switch bag and forth between forend widths.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#6 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

Pat,

Very Nice.

Would you think of getting off the old stock ????
Don
shilorock2@msn.com

Thanks Don! If you're asking if I'd consider selling the original 82G stock the answer would be no. Aside from a possible modification to the trigger, the barreled action will be kept in its original form so I can put the whole thing back to original condition should I want to sell the rifle for some reason. Although I've never sold any of my firearms that I've aquired in the last 20 years, you never know. I also intend on using the original stock during the winter for our indoor 4P matches so I need it.

#7 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Last February, after I'd sent in my paperwork to CMP for my Kimber 82G, I'd read a couple of posts over on the other site where some folks had put their 82G barreled actions into Kimber model 84 SSV (Single Shot Varmint or Stainless Steel Varmint depending on who you ask) stocks that they'd purchased from a guy on Gunbroker.com. After messaging with a couple of the guys regarding what needed to be done to the stock to make it work with the 82G I decided it sounded like a good project for me so I ordered one along with the trigger guard, grip cap, & screws.

Attached File  Kimber 82G_SSV 001.jpg   125.91KB   39 downloads

Attached File  Kimber 82G_SSV 002.jpg   126.06KB   34 downloads

It's been a lot of work inletting the stock and modifying the trigger guard to make everything fit but I think it was well worth the effort. The rifle isn't 100% complete and ready to shoot yet. I still have to put some tru-oil on the barrel channel and the area that I've inletted. The rings on the rifle in the pics aren't quite high enough and the objective bell touches the barrel (just barely) so the rings are only tight enough to hold the scope for the pics. I should have new rings on order by the end of this week. The stock already has pillars in it but I'll eventually do a skim coat of bedding compound to make sure the action and stock fit together as perfectly as possible. I also need to get some 6-48 plug screws to fill the holes in the barrel from where the front sight and scope blocks mount but that's only cosmetic so I'm not too worried about it for now. I do want the rifle to look finished so I will order some from Brownells the next time I need to order something. Last, I need to get a new striker spring from J&P and rework the firing pin tip to ensure that the rifle has the best ignition possible. Once these remaining items are complete I should be all set for the fun part, the ammo testing. Which reminds me....I need to order more ammo too.

Hey Pat! VERY interested in how it shoots. It looks GREAT!! Keep us informed. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#8 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hey Pat! VERY interested in how it shoots. It looks GREAT!! Keep us informed. Barry

Me too Barry! As you could see from my previous posts, it's still a work in progress and it may be a little while before I can actually do much with it. But that's ok as far as I'm concerned. I'm just happy to have secured the rifle and the SSV stock. I'll get the additional accessories over time as finances allow. In the mean time, the gun won't spoil sitting in my gun safe and I always have the option of putting the aperture sights on it and shooting it if I want to. I'll be sure to post details regarding how it shoots when the time comes.

#9 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

That is a NICE stock. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#10 davidabq

davidabq

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

That is a NICE stock. Barry

That is a great looking rifle! Well done with the stock conversion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users