6 replies to this topic

#1 Love2Shoot

Love2Shoot

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi, A brother-in-law recently was given a 341-p that has been hidden in a wall since 1962. His friend tried to load a lr thru the breech, it jammed and almost broke in half. The bolt would not cycle and they could not get it out. Since the rifle was in a far from clean condition and jammed up I told him I would take it apart and clean it up for him. Everything was going along fine after extensive cleaning it was time to put it back together again. I went to numrich and found the (schematics)PDF which is really a partial parts list picture. Anyway to make my long story a little shorter, I found that I had a few extra parts. They consist of the Carrier Friction Spring Case, Carrier Friction Spring Plunger and the Carrier Friction Spring. I remember them being on the end of something during disassembly and thinking of how they would be to back in place(senior moment?) but cannot for the life of me remember where they go. On the bolt assembly, sear-trigger assembly or somewhere on the carrier? any help would be most appreciated. Would it be worth the trouble to get the manual from Remington?
Thank You in Advance

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:22 AM

Everything was going along fine after extensive cleaning it was time to put it back together again. I went to numrich and found the (schematics)PDF which is really a partial parts list picture. Anyway to make my long story a little shorter, I found that I had a few extra parts. They consist of the Carrier Friction Spring Case, Carrier Friction Spring Plunger and the Carrier Friction Spring. I remember them being on the end of something during disassembly and thinking of how they would be to back in place(senior moment?) but cannot for the life of me remember where they go.

Are you refering to the little "button" spring loaded thingy? If so, it goes in a hole in the left side of the carrier. As you remove the carrier to the rear, it will pop out unless held in as the carrier is removed. When you slide the carrier back in, it will need to be held in against the spring tension.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Love2Shoot

Love2Shoot

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

Yes, that is the thingy. I kinda thought about that because of the hole size. Does the contraption help in the cycling of bullets from the magazine to the breech? I will have to pop out them pins again. I cannot think of a way to replace it without removing the carrier completely? I can cycle the LR except the last one gets caught up when you move the bolt forward after eject, it appears as though the slide comes toward the bolt and will not move forward unless you tilt the barrel towards the ground. I wonder if I should replace the thingy with new parts?
Thank You Again for you help I would have stayed up nites wondering!!!
Jim

Are you refering to the little "button" spring loaded thingy? If so, it goes in a hole in the left side of the carrier. As you remove the carrier to the rear, it will pop out unless held in as the carrier is removed. When you slide the carrier back in, it will need to be held in against the spring tension.

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

You will have to take the carrier back out. I'm not sure, but I think it just provides a little resistance to the movement of the carrier.

Patrick Henry

#5 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

You will have to take the carrier back out. I'm not sure, but I think it just provides a little resistance to the movement of the carrier.

Probably for the very reason illustrated above--to keep gravity from positioning it wrong, so the gun will work in all orientations.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#6 Love2Shoot

Love2Shoot

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Took it apart and installed, everything is working great, he picked it up last nite and is going to shoot it today! Nice gun after a good cleaning.
I want to thank everyone for your help once again. This project would never had been completed without your assistance.

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Took it apart and installed, everything is working great, he picked it up last nite and is going to shoot it today! Nice gun after a good cleaning.
I want to thank everyone for your help once again. This project would never had been completed without your assistance.

That's what we're here for, to help when we can, and have some fun doing it.

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users