3 replies to this topic

#1 .22-5-40

.22-5-40

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hello, I have seen posts on other rimfire sites about concern over ELEY priming being more abrasive than in past. I am too new to notice this..has anyone experienced this? Can you tell me if Lapua priming is differen't from ELEY..someone posted they are the same? Thank you!

#2 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

I'm not positive (and I could be wrong) but I think what you might be referring to is the very small particles of glass that are said to be in priming compound that's supposed to add friction an help with detonation. As far as I know, this is nothing new and has always been in the priming mix that all the manufacturers use. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and Eley started to add the small particles of glass when they re-evaluated their ammo a few years back and that's why folks say it's become more abrasive than in the past. Regardless, whether or not Eley's priming compound is now more abrasive would be difficult for me to notice since I've never really shot enough of anything to wear out a barrel much less notice a difference in wear in recent years and I would think it would be difficult for anyone to prove that increased barrel wear would be caused solely by a change in the priming compound. Unless someone had the means of doing scientific testing how would they know that any increase in wear was due to the ammo and not the barrel material, rifling type, or a combination of things? For example, it's also been said that the new rifling types that are used by the custom barrel makers that cause less bullet deformation can wear out faster than the more traditional rifling types so that could be the issue too. Just my 2 cents!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#3 .22-5-40

.22-5-40

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hello, Patrick N. Thanks for reply. Yes I was refering to the glass? in the priming mix. I have been looking over some other rimfire sites & came across this info. You could be spot on about the new rifling patterns showing wear..a narrow land, while displacing less bullet metal, is also more delicate. And from what I have been reading, those rimfire bench-rest guys aren't afraid to really scrub those bores, using some, in my opinion anyway, pretty harsh combinations of chemicals and brushes.

#4 qtztwn

qtztwn

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

As a follow up: does anyone know if an abrasive other than glass has been used in the primer mix?

I gather the amount and kind of abrasive depends on the particular primer used. As Patrick N says the purpose is to improve ignition when the primer is struck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users