#1 StevieCef

StevieCef

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Howdy,

Just to start, I have been searching the forums everywhere and learned a few things but need more info.

I just inherited a Model 41 that I'd love to hear the members' thoughts on.

This is an earlier model for sure. From what I can decipher so far it is around a 1960 or later model.

It has the original box and an additional hard case around that. It came originally from S&W with the 7 inch barrel with muzzle brake and a 5 inch barrel, no extended sight. It does have the cocked indicator (extended pin at rear)

It appears to be in excellent condition an mostly a safe queen. The only thing wrong with it is it seems dry. It fires beautifully.

The serial number is 433xx which tells me it is likely 1960 or slightly later.

What could this be worth? Is it a special gun to be cherished or run of the mill? Thinking of using it for competitive target.

Attached File  model 41 small.jpg   84.14KB   13 downloads

Thanks in advance. Looking for as much feedback as possible.

#2 StevieCef

StevieCef

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Just to add a little more info from what I've learned via some extremely knowledgeable and very folks from S&W the 5 inch barrel is later, BUT, the tag on the box still makes me wonder if this was some kind of special order from S&W. Pics attached. Anyone ever come across a package such as this one?

Thanks again.

Attached Files

#3 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

StevieCef, Let me start off with a big welcome to RFS. I believe all Model 41s should be cherished. I am sure someone will be along that is much more knowledgeable than myself. I will soon (not soon enough) be the pround new owner of a new Model 41. It is a 7 inch barreled 41, but I am also getting a used 5 inch barrel to go with it. There are a few here on this site that own 41s, I am sure they will be along later.

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#4 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,518 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Let me also welcome you to RFS, I have a couple of 41's , one like you describe. All 41's are to be cherished as they are hand made and hand fitted true target guns. I know the early ones with the cocked indicator are more desirable than later ones.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#5 StevieCef

StevieCef

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm not new to rimfire or shooting at all. But this is my first model 41, actually it belongs to my lovely lady. It just found us through a friend, very cheap too. We are psyched.

As a side note, I totally LOVE my classic Savage 17 HMR. What a great tack driver that is....

If anyone has seen a box and tag like the pics I posted I'd love to know how it came about. So far it is a mystery.....

#6 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,518 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm not new to rimfire or shooting at all. But this is my first model 41, actually it belongs to my lovely lady. It just found us through a friend, very cheap too. We are psyched.

As a side note, I totally LOVE my classic Savage 17 HMR. What a great tack driver that is....

If anyone has seen a box and tag like the pics I posted I'd love to know how it came about. So far it is a mystery.....

To my knowledge you could order a 41 with most any accessories.......just like buying a Chevy or a Ford back them with optional air-conditioning.....nothing rare but not to be discarder either. Enjoy the gun shoot it often.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

#7 StevieCef

StevieCef

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

To my knowledge you could order a 41 with most any accessories.......just like buying a Chevy or a Ford back them with optional air-conditioning.....nothing rare but not to be discarder either. Enjoy the gun shoot it often.

Dwight

I'm sure you could order it 'with options'. But, the early model serial number and the later built 5 inch barrel are odd, especially considering that the box says 7 inch barrel with 5 inch included as a 'special option".

Anyone ever see a tag, box and setup from S&W like this?

Attached Files

#8 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

They build those fine guns out of parts, it is not uncommon to see parts many years apart in manufacture. Think of it from a custom smith building and fitting a gun, he or she will requisition needed parts and inventory will supply what they have on hand. It is not that uncommon, sort of like when you see guns being auctioned off and having consecutive serial numbers .....as my good friend Jim always says.....yes thats how they came off the production line one number at a time....nothing special there Posted Image

#9 carl3989

carl3989

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, black powder cartridge rifle, air pistol,motorcycles,atvs,snowmobiles

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Just a reply to how much it's worth. With the box and extra barrel etc. if it's as good as it appears I would be surprized if you couldn't get $1300. Best of luck, it's a great combo.
"I try to be the man that my dog thinks I am."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users