• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jace

jace

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:im interested in guns. i have a youtube channel my user name is snowsniper8. i mostly shoot rimfires because its inexpesive and they are alot of fun. i also do trick shots with my 22's

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hey everyone I would like to what the difference between the the 455 lux and the 452 lux is? I heard that the 455 can be changed into a 17 hmr? Is the 455 as aCcurate as the 452? also is it as good quality?

#2 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hey everyone I would like to know what the difference between the the 455 lux and the 452 lux is?

The 452 barrel is threaded into the receiver and thus permanently mounted. The 455 barrel is secured to the receiver by two screws and it is designed to accommodate barrel/cartridge type changes.

I heard that the 455 can be changed into a 17 hmr?

Probably true.

Is the 455 as aCcurate as the 452? also is it as good quality?

In my opinion - no.

Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#3 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Danny, saved me from having to comment. Jace the 455 is still a new product. Some like them, some don't. Myself being a die hard 452 addict, will not say that I will never own one, because I might. But I can almost quarantee I will never buy two. Maybe in time they will catch on. But in my opinion they will never have the following the 452/3 does.

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...

Edited by chance_of_rain, 11 January 2011 - 07:54 PM.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,701 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

For years the barrel threaded to the receiver has been considered the prefered way to mount a barrel for accuracy. However, I believe there are Anschutz rifles that are not threaded, but they are the exception for accuracy.
With the success of the 452/3 rifles, it's hard to believe the 455 is an improvement, but a step backward. I can't believe the average American shooter will prefer the "change barrel" setup to the threaded... it may be a European thing. Maybe due to the red tape involved in owning a rifle, a second barrel might be easier to obtain.
If you are looking for a good rifle, I'd look for a dealer that still has a 452 or 453 in stock, or find a good used one.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#5 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

I also think the 452/3 versions will always be the preferred rifle model in this arena. The mechanics are ALL stacked in the favor of the 452/3 from simple physics.

What I see coming in my rather dull crystal ball is a similar reaction that was witnessed in the Winchester line of rifles. Pre-64 vs. Post 64. Even today, the Pre-64 rifles are highly prized and kept. They still sell a lot of post 64 guns, of course, and many are excellent rifles, but good is good, and excellent is excellent...

#6 jace

jace

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:im interested in guns. i have a youtube channel my user name is snowsniper8. i mostly shoot rimfires because its inexpesive and they are alot of fun. i also do trick shots with my 22's

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

I think that you guys are cz 452 fans and aren't ready to move on the the cz 455

#7 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Jace, I think that over 90% of the folks that currently OWN and use 452/453 CZ's would be in the camp to NEVER actually MOVE to the 455. Many of us will eventually ADD a 455 to the gun safe, but not in replacement status, only as an add on. I think historically and personally, the 452 CZ for the money is a hard act to beat.

I do like some of the changes that come with the move to the 455. I think the settling down on where and how many action screws you are going to get is a very big positive feature of the 455's. 452's are fickle, with several of the other family products in the 452 line wearing actions labeled "American" when the rifle is clearly NOT an "American". The CZ folks do not seem to place high regard on the consistency of a product line. That makes what a person gets vs. what he thinks he is getting, somewhat of a chance of fate. The 455's will solve that issue it seems. Based on the ability of the Ruger 10/22 barrel attachment method with a good quality barrel and properly fitted bolt to post 1/4" to 3/8" groups from many of the custom builders tells me the double screw attachment method for the barrel is good enough to keep the accuracy level up.

Also, part of this equation, which is difficult if not impossible to determine via internet noise, is who this audience is. My guess would be that many are like me here, in their 50's and 60's with some even deeper roots than that. I know change is more difficult after the moon has passed over your head a few thousand times!!!

But if you had a brand new 22 rifle ammo, that would put 10 out of 10 inside a 0.100" C-C group each and every time, the VAST majority of us older coots would be in line for this NEW stuff... so there is still hope for us!! Just needs to be a remarkably better solution than the ones we already own!!

Hope that helps you see where we are coming from!!
:blink:

Edited by LongPlay, 15 January 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#8 jace

jace

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

Ya that helps a bit.....but I'm am wonderin if the cz 455 open sights will be as accurate as the cz 452.

#9 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

No, Jace, the sights on the new 455's are a big topic of disappointment in the CZ crowds. It is far inferior to the very high quality sights on the 452 versions. Many 452 fans are right now out there filling their safes with the older 452's as they know they will only go up in value, and are complete with many of the "upgraded" features like threaded barrels to the action and very high quality iron sights.

Of course there are dovetail grooves on the receiver that will accept aftermarket rear sights, so later upgrades are possible. And I hear band mounted front sights can be had as well. So it is not like the 455's can never wear nice irons, but you will need to drop another $150 or more to make it happen. And the 452's are a bargain with the knowledge of just what those sights are really worth....

#10 Big John

Big John

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, science fiction and fantasy and millitary history, espescily Dubya Dubya Two. Oh, and biulding models of all that stuff. I can't decide which I like more, The scream of a high preformance jet as it passes overhead, the roar of a radial engined fighter as it makes a low level pass, or the the jack hammer staccato of a Ma Duce being fired on full auto.
    ( I rulled ot the Enterprise going to warp, 'Cause that ain't real.)

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

My internet has been down since Monday due to Snowpocolypse 2011. For the same reason, a number of machines at work are curtailed for the weekend so I came to Huntsville to visit my brother. We made the usual rounds and ended up at Larry's. I didn't really have the intention of buying anything, but sitting in the rifle rack was a barely been fired 452FS. It was and early model with the drilled out bolt handle. Intentions or not, I was in love, so it walked out the door with me. I lament the loss of the 452 product line, because at some point in the future buyers are going to realize how good these guns are and the prices are going to go through the roof for a 452.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

#11 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,518 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

My internet has been down since Monday due to Snowpocolypse 2011. For the same reason, a number of machines at work are curtailed for the weekend so I came to Huntsville to visit my brother. We made the usual rounds and ended up at Larry's. I didn't really have the intention of buying anything, but sitting in the rifle rack was a barely been fired 452FS. It was and early model with the drilled out bolt handle. Intentions or not, I was in love, so it walked out the door with me. I lament the loss of the 452 product line, because at some point in the future buyers are going to realize how good these guns are and the prices are going to go through the roof for a 452.

Way to go John Posted Image
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#12 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,048 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Second that John.

Hope yours is a shooter. They usually are. Mine even groups nicely with CCI Blazer:

Posted Image
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#13 jace

jace

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

i know you can switch out the barrel on the 455 will this affect the accracy or not really?

#14 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,518 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

i know you can switch out the barrel on the 455 will this affect the accracy or not really?

Changing a barrel on any gun will effect accuracy, even the act of putting rubber O Rings on a heavy barrel gun will effect barrel harmonics.
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users