• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, knives, classical music, ballet, politics, writing, volunteer work.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

Does anyone know when (and WHY) Marlin discontinued this little carbine? To me, the "Mountie" was the ultimate .22 lever gun. :(

Edited by cheygriz, 31 January 2007 - 11:08 PM.

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

The carbine version of the 39 with the "Mountie" designation was discontinued in 1972. Don't have a clue as to why they dropped the name. They continued the 39M straight grip carbine at least through '87 and the 39TDS through '95.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, knives, classical music, ballet, politics, writing, volunteer work.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

I'm a big Marlin fan, but I am having treouble figuring out why they feel the need to put those ungodly long "musket" length barrels on a .22 lever gun like the 39.

A lever gun is supposed to be light, handy and fast handling! And why on earth put a barrel longer than 18 inches on this type of rifle??? :o

If they brought back the "Mountie" or something quivalent, I'd buy one tomorrow. :Beat head on desk:

#4 Gunjunkie

Gunjunkie

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Accuracy is most of it.. .. the longer barrel burns the powder more efficient and longer site plane makes it just slightly more accurate.. ( I like the longer barrels and was real happy when Marlin came out with xlr in 24 in.. in centerfires.. :tumbs:

Not saying that I don't love my Mountie .. But I like the longer barrels better..

#5 Picher

Picher

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

I liked my Mountie, which had a Williams receiver sight, but sometimes I wished it had a pistol grip. However, the full-sized 39A is just too heavy and long for me to buy for the grandkids.

If Marlin made one somewhere in-between the two models, with a pistol grip, it would be about the most perfect lever gun ever made.

Picher

#6 reb henderson

reb henderson

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

I have a Mountie and I love it. It is short, quick to point and very accurate. I have at one time or the other had three regular length rifles but I believe I like the Mountie better. I too wished they made them new. I would have to have another one myself.
Take care
Reb

#7 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

Maybe if all of us old codgers who like the Mountie would E -mail Marlin and..............nahhhhh, they wouldn't listen! :Beat head on desk:

#8 Gunjunkie

Gunjunkie

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Lets just say for conversation that on one site we have a few members that work for Marlin and we know R&D reads it also.. along with some other manufactures and ammo makers.. They don't have email contact information,, but they have listened to some of the people ( buyers and shooters) and made some changes in the past that have been suggested.. As far as bringing back a rilfe line.. well.. the more that post on it the more it gets the word out.. I won't link to the other site here, ( not knowing policy on it).. but if anyone intrested you can email me .. or pm.
larry336@comcast.net

Edited by Gunjunkie, 06 February 2007 - 03:21 PM.

#9 wetdog1911

wetdog1911

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

I have a Mountie and I love it. It is short, quick to point and very accurate. I have at one time or the other had three regular length rifles but I believe I like the Mountie better. I too wished they made them new. I would have to have another one myself.
Take care
Reb

Why want the 'lawyerized' new ones when there are plenty of older Mounties out there?

Rob

#10 Morgans Dad

Morgans Dad

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Texas hold'em

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

Why want the 'lawyerized' new ones when there are plenty of older Mounties out there?

Rob

Do u guys know how I can find the manufacture date on a Marlin Golden 39A the serial # starts with Z ?

#11 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

Do u guys know how I can find the manufacture date on a Marlin Golden 39A the serial # starts with Z ?

The Y and Z pre-fixes were used in 1964... does that jive with what you believe to be the age of your rifle? letter pre-fixes were used from '48 to'68.

Later models had a system of subtracting the first two numbers from 100 for the age... for example, my 39A has a 20xxx........ serial number so was made in 1980. This was odd because lower serial numbered guns were actually newer, 19xxx....... were 1981, 18xxx...... were 1982, etc.

Patrick Henry

#12 Morgans Dad

Morgans Dad

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Texas hold'em

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

[quote name='Carl' date='Dec 3 2007, 01:24 PM' post='13670']
The Y and Z pre-fixes were used in 1964... does that jive with what you believe to be the age of your rifle? letter pre-fixes were used from '48 to'68.

Later models had a system of subtracting the first two numbers from 100 for the age... for example, my 39A has a 20xxx........ serial number so was made in 1980. This was odd because lower serial numbered guns were actually newer, 19xxx....... were 1981, 18xxx...... were 1982, etc.
[/quo

Well I thought it was 59 or 60 from the info I had, thats the reason i wanted to know if there was a way to tell for sure. thankyou for your help

#13 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

I should probably post what info I have at the top of the Marlin section and "pin" it like I did in the Remington section. Then if more info comes in later, I can add it to that post. I will need to research what they did after 1999 if the system was changed.

Patrick Henry

#14 1knifeboy

1knifeboy

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

[quote name='cheygriz' date='Feb 1 2007, 12:07 AM' post='4400']
Does anyone know when (and WHY) Marlin discontinued this little carbine? To me, the "Mountie" was the ultimate .22 lever gun.

You might check Brophy's book on Marlin guns. A more recent "Mountie" type 39 is the Marlin 1897 Texan manufactured a few years ago. I see NIB ones listed on GunBroker from time to time. The Texan is essentially the Mountie with a square lever, 20" octagon barrel, straight stock, Marbles sights and checkering on the forearm and stock handle. Hope this helps. 1knifeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users