19 replies to this topic

#1 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:40 AM

bought it new in December. no major mods yet. first i stained it real dark. i didnt like it so i painted it black. then i made a peep sight for it out of an erector set piece. to my suprise, it worked really good. i liked it black, but wanted to go a different direction. so i sprayed it OD green and added a Tasco RedDot that i got for free from a friend. it was new, just sat in his closet for a few years. then i made a forgrip for it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

heres the foregrip before i made it
Posted Image

a little paint to match
Posted Image

and the finished product
Posted Image
Posted Image

and my favorite picture

Posted Image

Edited by dixierifleman, 27 January 2007 - 02:51 AM.

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

Neat project Dixie, I hope you dont mind...I took your picture and corrected the levels and unlaoded it :D

Does this look more like the real gun ?

Posted Image
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 38super

38super

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Steel Challenge (CF/RF)<br />IPSC/USPSA<br />3 Gun<br />Airguns (BR, Silhouette)<br />Home Machining

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

OOoooooh, you're in troublllllleeeee. You like to tweak things and make your own gun parts. Welcome to the never ending 10-22 mods.

#4 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

no i dont mind. that picture looks alot better.

#5 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, knives, classical music, ballet, politics, writing, volunteer work.

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

no i dont mind. that picture looks alot better.

I would like to share an interesting story about the 10-22. I don't know if my 10-22 is unique, or typical. The rifle is stock, except for a Leupold M8-4X compact scope, and a Butler Creek "Steel Lips" hi-cap mag.

I tried almost all brands of ammo looking for accuracy. My test procedure was to fire 50 shots at 5 targets. i.e., five groups, ten shots per group. I personally don't consider three shot or five shot groups very valuable in testing, but that's just me.

Anyway, the best accuracy with "normal" ammo came with CCI Stingers. They averaged about one and one half inches for ten shots at fifty yards. Most other ammo averaged from two to two and one half.

I seriously considered purchasijng a "match" barrel. But when I read the literature on several of the "match" barrels, they guaranteed groups under one inch, but only with "super premium" ammo, such as Eley Tenex and RWS R-50

Just for kicks, I bought a box of Eley Tenex, and a box of RWS R-50 (nearly $10 per box of fifty! :angry: )

I shot the super premium ammo in the "out of the box" 10-22, and lo and behold, all groups were under one inch!!!!

Now, I'm not very smart, but I'm smart enough to figure out that if I need to spend $10 per box for super premium ammo to get one inch groups from that very expensive match barrel, but I can get one inch groups from the factory barrel with the same ammo, then the very expensive match barrel is probably a weaste of money. :(

Has anyone here had the same, or a similar experience with the 10-22??? For those that have a match barrel on your 10-22, have you noticed a significant improvement with regular ammo, such as Remington or Winchester hunting ammo?

All info appreciated.

Edited by cheygriz, 27 January 2007 - 02:41 PM.

#6 38super

38super

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Steel Challenge (CF/RF)<br />IPSC/USPSA<br />3 Gun<br />Airguns (BR, Silhouette)<br />Home Machining

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Couple suggestions:

Make sure the barrel V-Block is snug, 35 in-lb torque.
Vary the stock screw tension, normal is 25 in-lbs.
Try with the barrel band off.
Float the barrel, clearance the barrel channel in the stock.
Bed the reciever.

After market barrels like Adams/Bennet or Green Mountain will usually shoot very sub 1/2" with reasonable ammo (like Wolf MT). From our experience, CCI MiniMag and Stingers are easily 1/2 to 5/8" groups at 50 yds.

Keep a notebook on your experiments, handy when CRS kicks in.

#7 750k2

750k2

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Don't be shootin any bottles now....

:lol: ;)

#8 Picher

Picher

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Actually, with the high-priced ammo, my "factory" 10-22 gets under 1/2" groups, averaging .37" at 50 yards. The only non-factory part is the barrel. Best groups with Lapua were .190". Not bad for a rifle that totalled $325.

Most everything else is home-modified, using a few tips I got from others and a most that I figured out for myself. I'll be posting my procedures here, but want to edit them first.

Picher

#9 crazyTKDsquirrel

crazyTKDsquirrel

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:58 PM

LOL!^ :D :P

#10 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

too late. i picked them up this time though. took the dirtbike through the trails and didnt want any flats or anything to hurt too bad if i fall

#11 750k2

750k2

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:09 AM

Now ya got all that 2 stroke smoke all over!!

#12 gmcfixer

gmcfixer

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

handy when CRS kicks in.

I'll agree with 38super's comments ..... only one thing, I might be getting prematurely senile cause I can't remember ....... CRS :D

Dave Z

#13 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

CRS :D
My cousin used to have one of those Honda cars , it looked likes it had been smacked in the butt with a board.......got good gas mileage though
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#14 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

Now ya got all that 2 stroke smoke all over!!

haha actually its a 4 stroke

#15 crazyTKDsquirrel

crazyTKDsquirrel

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:25 AM

^ROFL!!^ :D :D

#16 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, knives, classical music, ballet, politics, writing, volunteer work.

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I may just spring for a match barrel after. Especially if I decide not to buy the Anschutz, or.......... :unsure:

#17 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

I would like to share an interesting story about the 10-22. I don't know if my 10-22 is unique, or typical. The rifle is stock, except for a Leupold M8-4X compact scope, and a Butler Creek "Steel Lips" hi-cap mag.

I tried almost all brands of ammo looking for accuracy. My test procedure was to fire 50 shots at 5 targets. i.e., five groups, ten shots per group. I personally don't consider three shot or five shot groups very valuable in testing, but that's just me.

Anyway, the best accuracy with "normal" ammo came with CCI Stingers. They averaged about one and one half inches for ten shots at fifty yards. Most other ammo averaged from two to two and one half.

I seriously considered purchasijng a "match" barrel. But when I read the literature on several of the "match" barrels, they guaranteed groups under one inch, but only with "super premium" ammo, such as Eley Tenex and RWS R-50

Just for kicks, I bought a box of Eley Tenex, and a box of RWS R-50 (nearly $10 per box of fifty! :angry: )

I shot the super premium ammo in the "out of the box" 10-22, and lo and behold, all groups were under one inch!!!!

Now, I'm not very smart, but I'm smart enough to figure out that if I need to spend $10 per box for super premium ammo to get one inch groups from that very expensive match barrel, but I can get one inch groups from the factory barrel with the same ammo, then the very expensive match barrel is probably a weaste of money. :(

Has anyone here had the same, or a similar experience with the 10-22??? For those that have a match barrel on your 10-22, have you noticed a significant improvement with regular ammo, such as Remington or Winchester hunting ammo?

All info appreciated.

maybe i shoulda read all the posts in my thread... with that said, where in the world did this come from?

#18 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

maybe i shoulda read all the posts in my thread... with that said, where in the world did this come from?

Sorry if I took your thread off topic. I just thought that a thread about modifying 10-22s would be a logical place to ask this question.

#19 dixierifleman

dixierifleman

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

Sorry if I took your thread off topic. I just thought that a thread about modifying 10-22s would be a logical place to ask this question.

oh its no problem. i was just wonderin. glad you got the answers you were lookin for.

#20 gmcfixer

gmcfixer

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

All info appreciated.

Just to answer the question, you don't have to buy expensive ammo to get good groups from a match barrel and yes some factory barrels shoot well with premium ammo. Additionally a match barrel doesn't have to cost 300 bucks either. I've put together several 10/22s lately using Green Mountain barrels, the most expensive one was a 18" fluted SS bull barrel at 137 bucks. That gun with moderate ammo (Wolf match target for example) can regularly shoot 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. My own 18 " SS bull has done as tight as .125"s at 50 yards. On average I pay between 3 and 4 dollars a box for ammo, but have bought ammo like Winchester T-22 or Federal 711B for 20 bucks or less a brick and get near the same results. Basically what I'm saying is with a 100 dollar or so barrel and spending 3 to 4 bucks a box for ammo you can do much better than 1" at 50 yards. Hope that helps!

Dave Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users