#1 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

After some long waiting for scopes to arrive I finally just gave up and slapped one of my old 6X24 scopes on it for some trigger time. Took it over to my neighbors new concrete bench we helped design and set up. It looks good. A little too close to the trees on the shooting lane, ( like 6" in some places!!) and ran some lead down the bore. After 25 rounds of junk ammo ( Eley Sport ) I loaded up with some wolf, from one of my lots that I know has a 1 in 5 or 6 flier rate. I decided it was good enough to season the bore with. It did shoot pretty well. Even the fliers seemed to be within 1/2" of the main group. And the main groups were looking very close to all being inside the 9 ring size. I tried around 20 rounds of Eley Black (not with Remington on the box) and it seems it likes that pretty well also, keeping again all within the 9 ring area. Lapua Center X did also stay pretty well within the 9 ring also. In all as long as it is Target grade ammo, these rifles will do them justice. All I need now is a really good lot number or two of either Center X or Eley black, and I think a large part of this puzzle is mine.....

I think these Kimber 82G's can be really competitive if given a chance. I do plan to look them over one at a time, and see what I can do to tighten up the groups to Unlimited class groups. Of course a good pillar bedding is on my radar for these. I want to do them on at a time, since I have two from the South store at the CMP. One has very nice wood, and I think that will likely be my custom gun, getting a trim of some of the wood, and a deeper thumb groove area. But at my first few rounds through both of them, I think they are going to be pretty good shooters. I have a suspicion that a little bit of bedding and some further lightening of the triggers may bring them up to the line, able to hold their heads up....

If you have not tried any of the "rusty Kimbers" I can highly suggest you do. At $400 plus shipping, you will find it hard to beat in the "bang for the buck" category. Those tinkerers out there like me.... I know you can make these one hole shooters. I am betting I can as well.... we will soon see...

Edited by LongPlay, 05 June 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,007 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

Sounds good LP. Glad you got some shooters. Has David had as good a luck with his? Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Glad you are getting some use out of those Kimbers LP. My CZ's are getting a little dusty. Bought another Harley Davidson a couple of weeks ago and it has been eating up my spare time. Swapped my scope from my Full Stock to my Ultra Lux and hope to make it to the range today to get some trigger time. How bout some picures of those Kimbers.

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#4 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

Sounds good LP. Glad you got some shooters. Has David had as good a luck with his? Barry

yeah, David has only put one of his pair into shooting condition so far. He also has a lot of other things dragging his schedule out of shape. I think once we get a chance to shoot one of these Kimbers each in the next match here in Lufkin, next weekend, we may be able to spend the time needed to get them both into really good shape. These rifles do seem to be similar in response to the CZ's in that they do shoot almost any good quality ammo well. Of course with the Wolf MT and SK Std Plus, there are fliers, we all know, but with these Kimbers, If you have the scope zero'd into the real center bull, the fliers are not really no worse than a edge shot 8. And the bulk of the group is inside the inner edge of the 8 ring with most all going to count either 9 or 10. Now, that is with out any wind, and with ideal shooter conditions. Of course neither I or David can sit down yet and throw these pills into the 10 ring every time. We have our called shots that pull. But we are working on how to reduce these and get them down to a minimum with practice and technique. But now with these Kimbers, I think we have the tool that will allow us both to improve our skills and see the results in the Custom as well as the Unlimited class.

This site and a few others are key for us new shooters, Barry, I cannot imagine trying to forge down this road without help from all the "real shooters" here, that are so free with helpful information, and tips. It does help move us along much better than otherwise it would be....

Thanks to all .... Loads of fun to be had here!! :)

#5 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,368 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

Glad you are getting some use out of those Kimbers LP. My CZ's are getting a little dusty. Bought another Harley Davidson a couple of weeks ago and it has been eating up my spare time. Swapped my scope from my Full Stock to my Ultra Lux and hope to make it to the range today to get some trigger time. How bout some picures of those Kimbers.

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...

Some pictures of LP's Kimbers would be great but a shot or two of the Harley would be nice too!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#6 RicSmith

RicSmith

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

My wife got akimber 82G 2 months ago, has fired 3 matches with it and the first was a prone nra match, she took 5th place. first match she ever fired. its her first rifle. the second match was a bench rest at 50 and 100 yards she took 3rd place her 3 rd match was a nra prone 50/100 and she tok 5th again. 17 shooters 12 of them was real good shooters. i took her out tho get ready for a 200 yard bench match and the first 10 round string she shot a 97 with 3 x on a nra xtc target. by the way this was all with open sights no scope. she was using SK and wolf extra match. I shoot long range and have put a night force 12x42 scope on my win 52d but did not like scopes on a 22. did not seem like as much fun. but i was shooting at reg. targets. I think with a bit more shooting her kimber will be up to some tight groups. I have seen others with open sights do a clean 50 with 2 to 4 xs on the 50 yard target several times. this was prone unsupported. I hpe to see what the rifle will do off the bench this week end with some others.
will up date.
ric

#7 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Ric, I think you will find the 82G's will out shoot their irons. Scopes just make that dot at 50 yds a bit easier to see. These are great rifles.

I have two and my nephew has two. This fall, when it is cool enough to work in the workshop, I plan to see if I can get one down to Custom weight in USBR or 10.5 pounds. These mostly start at that weight, so I need to lose enough to accommodate a scope.. may be harder than I think....

But for now,,, #2 for me sits in pieces... waiting for a little cooler weather so I can get the bolt apart and clean... I was one of the UNLUCKY ones with a seriously rusty firing pin spring and housing... unfortunately, that included a rusted solid, left thread cocking screw.... I have had it soaking for a couple of months now,,, and will try again soon. The temps just started coming down this week....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users