3 replies to this topic

#1 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

I bought this 341 with bolt assembled incorrectly and the receiver internals in a sandwich bag.As far as I can tell everything but the carrier friction spring,cup,and plunger were there.I got these parts from Numerich.I've been tinkering with it for a couple of weeks and have to the point that it feeds shorts perfectly,but long rifles are stubborn.The bolt over rides the translator part way through the feeding motion with lr's,requiring moving the bolt rearward a bit,then closing it.I think the front of the carrier is coming up too far,or possibly not high enough.I've run completely out of talent at this point.My question of you is,how is the carrier travel limit adjusted? I don't have an exploded view or complete parts list,just the pdf from Numerich and the Remington Field Service Manual,that for some reason is skimpy on this particular model.It is possible that I still don't have all the parts.I'd appreciate your suggestions.Thank You,Kizo

Edited by Kizo, 23 January 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

You are right that the information is skimpy. All I have is a little on the 34 and no parts breakdown or adjustment instructions. Just replace bolt handle, carrier or both. I have never been inside a 34 or 341.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Carl,you may have gotten me onto the right track,I hadn't considered the bolt.It fits the receiver pretty snugly for a rifle made in 1936,in fact I rechecked that all the pins were fully seated thinking one might be dragging.This rifle could have mismatched parts,the bolt would be the first suspect for this.I'll look at it more carefully.A used carrier is expensive,about $50,the bolt about the same.Expensive to me anyway.For now I'll keep tinkering with the parts I have with more emphasis on the bolt.Also Carl,in your research to answer my question you may have seen that the fellow credited with inventing this model was Mr.C.C.Loomis,the same fellow that "improved"the John Browning designed FN 22 SA,that became the Remington 24 and 241.He improved it by adding a dime snuff box full of parts to it.I can imagine that he was in a competition with other makers engineers to include the most parts possible in a 22 rifle,his efforts to make simple things complicated was finally bested by the guy who invented the Winchester 77 with its color coded springs and timing rod and all.Please excuse my editorial comments about this gentleman,however he has cost me considerable time and ammunition getting his improvements and inventions working properly over the years.Kizo

Edited by Kizo, 25 January 2007 - 12:31 AM.

#4 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

A follow up,this rifle seems to be fixing itself with use.It feeds shorts perfectly,and some brands of long rifles pretty well.Aguila SE and Federal HPs fairly jump into the chamber,thus taking the translator/bolt interface out of the picture.The rifle's accuracy is typical of the old Remingtons,worth a little effort to get it working like it was supposed to.The next plan is to shoeshine polish the bolt with crocus cloth.I'm open to suggestions for anything else to try.Thanks,Kizo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users