26 replies to this topic

#1 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

Ok today my local gun shop called me and my baby finally came in. It is the new Savage MK2 in 22lr. When i opened the box i was in love. The gun looked exactly like i had hoped. It is obviously a Boyds laminate stock, i will post better pics soon. The barrel seems to be centered in the stock and THE BOLT man that thing is awesome. I never thought i would have ever seen a bolt like this on a stock gun. it feels so much better than the normal round ball these guns normally have. This black coating on the stock is nicely done as well, it seems to have a "Rhino Lining" type coating on it but it is not rubberized and is textured(NICE). So i have finally gotten home with it and took a couple of crude pictures of it with an old camera. As stated earlier i am goin to get some better pictures posted here as soon as i can.

Ok so the first thing that i am planing on doin with this bad boy is get this bolt taken care of. My loving uncle Mr. LP stopped by my neck of the wood earlier this week and dropped me some lapping compound. I am taking a break from that and making this post. i plan on makeing about 500 to 600 passes with this compound and then pulling the bolt assemble apart and cleaning it very well.

The second thing that will need to be done it i am soaking the barrel with some nice rem oil to break up the factory "stuff" that is built up in there. I have heard alot of horror stories about fouling rounds and ruining a barrel and i see why it seems to have not just a coating but there is plenty of dust in there as well. I am glad of all the post that have been previously post about this sort of thing are i would have not even thought about it because i also have a 93R17 that i purchased years ago when 17 hmr first came out. It was the stainless bull barrel with synthetic stock and i never even touched the ID of that barrel and it shoot wonderful . ok we are talking about the TR back on subject.

I will be putting a BSA Mil Dot 6-24 on this as soon as i get everything cleaned up and ready to shoot. i am hoping to get it out to the range out here by friday and be able to post some targets up as well. I know there has not been much posted up about this new rifle and if anyone has any question are want me to take picture of certain areas on it please let me know i will do my best to accommodate.

Attached Thumbnails

• 029.JPG
  • 030.JPG
  • 031.JPG
  • 033.JPG

#2 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

The bolt lapping procedure is from this site. Dwight's sticky on that was absolutely dead on. Really amazed me at how much that improved the action on my first CZ.

Now with Anna's CZ waiting, I will be doing it all again!!!

Nice Bolt... Looks like a real silhouette style rifle....

#3 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,377 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Nice Savage! Hours and hours of pure shooting bliss are in your future I'm sure . Let us know how it shoots. Target pics are always welcome.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#4 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Ha ha ha.... Patrick,,, If you had witnessed the drool and lusting this boy has had over this rifle, you would truly understand BLISS......

He did get a good one. I have been working via internet connection with him on getting it all slicked up. This really promises to be a first class shooter.

My only concern is the weight issues. I am hoping it can clear the weight hurtle to make it into sporter class, but it is going to be really tight. It is
7.5 pounds as you see it. NO scope or rings yet. I just don't know what can be done to fix that.... I guess we will need to look at it closely....

#5 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

Ok sorry to disappoint yall but BLISS is an understatement. This gun has surpassed all my expectations so for except the stock. I am a little disappointed in the quality of the way it attaches to the action. But i do understand that it was probably left like that because they know that it will be bedded. The bottom of the action bolt are about 1/2 away from the wood on the stock, a big gap there and if it is tightened down to much i can see where there will be some issues with bedding and distorting that bottom bracket. Like i said i have made the decision that i will be making an attempt to bed it. Picture to come hopefully soon.

On the brighter side i finished the lapping of the bolt and it is as slick as the floor at Churches chicken. Man it is nice. The barrel seems to come fairly clean with out much oil are coating i have heard so much about but it did have some. I am very excited to take it to the range on friday to see what the groups will be. Pictures will be posted as soon as i get back form the range.

Today i will just be taking the bolt out and giving it a very thorough cleaning and seeing about adjusting the accutrigger. The book that came with it says that the factory normally sets it to the lightest setting and it shows you how to adjust it form there. The trigger pull is pretty good i do not have anything to measure it with but i would say it was around the 2 pound are less range. It also seems there is almost no creep in it after you get passed the odd feeling of the little aluminum accutrigger part(i will have to get used to that). More pictures to come......

Edited by DupeDirty, 24 February 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#6 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

ok well i went out to the range today. It was horrible weather. 45 degrees and a 15 miles an hour cross wind in every direction. It was also raining off and on most of the day(mostly on). What can i say i live in south Louisiana and the saints won the super bowl, i dont think it will ever warm up now. I did get out there and send several hundred rounds in the general direction of the target with some Winchester bulk ammo to get the barrel seasoned and ready for ammo testing. I think i will try to get out there tomorrow morning and see what i can come back with. The gun itself shoots like a dream i like way it fits my hands i love the trigger pull. And even with the wind i was able to get it to group about .5 to .75 inch group at 30 yards. i would not call it a total loss of a day. The weather man is saying that it will be a beautiful day tomorrow. We will see........

Ohhh hey i have a question for some of the USBR people out there. I have not gotten an accurate weight on this gun yet, but i think it will be close to 8.5 lbs if not a little more. Is there anything i can do to decrease the weight any and still be able to keep in sporter class??? any suggestions would be helpful because i really dont know exactly what all the guide lines are and i dont want to break any rules that there may be..

Thanks

#7 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Sorry guys i havnt been able to get more info up on this thread. I am having serious issues with this gun. It seems that i have received a savage rifle with some barrel issues are maybe even some greater issues that i havent been able to figure out. When i first took the gun out it was doin pretty good. i was getting about .75 groups at about 25 yards. I was blaming the wind and breaking in the barrel. But as i have come to realize it wasnt the wind. I have put several hundred rounds through it and also have bedded to the stock. It seem as though everything i do to it isnt affecting the accuracy much. I have started testing it at 50 yards because that is the distance i will be shooting it in the USBR matches(hopefully) and i cant get it under .75. I also change the scope from a 8-24 BSA to a 8-32 true glow. There was not any difference in the accuracy either.

I guess my last hope is to send it back to the people that gave it to me this way and let them fix this issue. I have seen on other threads that the savage Mark2 is a great rifle and can keep up with most of the CZ's in accuracy. I believe in that because i already own a 93r17 that shoots awesome. So i will give them a chance to make it right for me. Then if that doesnt work out i guess i will have to take drastic measures and make it into a custom are unlimited shooter by taking it down to the machine shop and doin some after hours work on it and making sure that the barrel and action meet together with a press fit and then adding some set screws to make sure that nothing moves at all.

Anysuggestions are welcome i have been a savage fan for a while and this is really making me think hard about just moving on to the CZ line. I dont want to do that because i would never here the end of it from LP. He has been trying to talk me into a CZ from day one.

Thanks

#8 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

The CZ Siren is calling!!! :D

at day light in the morning, I am driving 3 hours with my fishing and hunting buddy to pick up his 1st CZ .... an American.

I say 1st, because I consider them a member of the Lays Potato Chip family. You cant have just one !!!!!
:P

Edited by LongPlay, 15 March 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#9 Mookie

Mookie

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I did get out there and send several hundred rounds in the general direction of the target with some Winchester bulk ammo to get the barrel seasoned and ready for ammo testing. I think i will try to get out there tomorrow morning and see what i can come back with.

Sorry guys i havnt been able to get more info up on this thread. I am having serious issues with this gun. It seems that i have received a savage rifle with some barrel issues are maybe even some greater issues that i havent been able to figure out. When i first took the gun out it was doin pretty good. i was getting about .75 groups at about 25 yards. I was blaming the wind and breaking in the barrel. But as i have come to realize it wasnt the wind. I have put several hundred rounds through it and also have bedded to the stock. It seem as though everything i do to it isnt affecting the accuracy much. I have started testing it at 50 yards because that is the distance i will be shooting it in the USBR matches(hopefully) and i cant get it under .75. I also change the scope from a 8-24 BSA to a 8-32 true glow. There was not any difference in the accuracy either.

Better ammo would help, go with subsonic, CCI's shoot really well or track down some Wolf. So would a scope with fine crosshairs. I had a truglo, great scope but 2x4's for crosshairs, yours might not be like that but mine sure were. That can affect accuracy as well.

Edited by Mookie, 17 March 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#10 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Better ammo would help, go with subsonic, CCI's shoot really well or track down some Wolf. So would a scope with fine crosshairs. I had a truglo, great scope but 2x4's for crosshairs, yours might not be like that but mine sure were. That can affect accuracy as well.

Mookie,

let me answer for my nephew on this one...

We just used the cheap ammo to season up the barrel when it was new and fresh.
We ran SK std +, Wolf MT, Weight sorted Wolf MT, Aguila SuperExtra subsonics, CCI Std Vel. and Federal Pistol match through it.
All ran pretty bad to worse. I dont think this is an ammo problem.

We did get the rifle to finally react to something we did towards the end of our efforts, after we got it bedded, the rear action screw was not as tight as it could have been. We added a bit of torque to it, and it did improve from 1.5"-1.75" at 50yds to around 1.0" - 1.25" at 50 yds with Wolf MT weight sorted ....

The rifle is now in a box, overwrapped in bubble wrap, awaiting the priority mail people in the morning. Savage will look at it for a week or two and decide what they think.
I am betting it comes back with a different barrel in it. The cartridges will literally fall out of the chamber if you put one in, and turn the barrel to the up direction. I think the chamber was poorly cut, and it has so much slop in it, nothing is going to help it.

Savage sounded like they will make it right for him. I have heard good things about them, so i will not speak badly about Savage gear here. Anyone can make an error on one of these. It is how they handle things like this that take them from an OK manufacturer, to an excellent one. So far they have been responsive and prompt. I will see how it turns out...

#11 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Yeah he is right. We have tried everything. But when i talked to savage they really sounded like they wanted to make this right for me. So i boxed it up and have it all ready for shipment in the morning. They told me that it would be 2 to 3 weeks before i get it back. We will see and if they do send me the test target that i ask for i will post it up with comparative targets of my own after i personally test it. Thanks for all the helpfull info. I really want to get this thing back and restore my confidence in the Savage product.

#12 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Ok i finally got this TR back from savage. On the report they have sent me it states that they reheadspaced it. I am currently in the process of looking it over and i am very disappointed in the way i have received it back. i will have some pictures of the way i have received it back. First thing i noticed when i opened the box and picked it up was that the bolt looked extremely gunked up. it was as if they shot a couple hundred rounds through it and didnt clean it(this is what it appeared at first look). with further examination and a little discussion with my uncle LP we have come to the conclusion that they have plastic gauged it. What i am seeing in there is the residue from that. Although this is still disappointing that it wasnt all cleaned out before test firing , the target that was sent was .9 at 100 yards. i will enclose pictures of all this.

My plans are to get a scope mounted on it and bring it to the range this weekend. When i return from that i will also post some targets from the ammo testing. More pictures to come.

Attached Thumbnails

• savage tr3.jpg
  • savage tr1.jpg
  • savage tr4.jpg
  • savage tr2.jpg

#13 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

That's awful nasty looking. Let's see how it shoots. If it shoots well I can put up with having to clean it up. Let us know how it works out. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#14 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

I bet the gunk is from their target ammo they use for testing. From what I hear it is not really available in the general population any more.

Clean it up, and get the Wolf and SK out and see if it will shoot. From that test target, I think it will do pretty good.

We will soon see.....

#15 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

ok well today is the day. They are calling for 50% chance of rain and it to be a little windy out there, but nothin is gonna stop me from burning some ammo in this puppy. I will post some targets up as soon as i get back. If they are not to wet.

#16 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

It was an adventure today. I had to shoot in between the rain and wind gusts but i think all in all that today was more successful than my last outing with this TR. I have posted some pictures of my groupings with the better quality ammo i had in hand. It seems to me that these groups are a lot better than the 2 inch groups i was getting before i sent it back to savage. Now i must not lead you on, these groups were still not that easy to get. I shot several hundred rounds out of it with a standard 1 inch grouping. Still a little frustrated i started thinking of what may be causing this. I then decided to do a little cleaning and ran my boresnake through it. I pulled out my RWS50 and started to shoot again. The first five rounds were everywhere. Which i expected with a cleaned barrel and then the next five shots got a little better. The picture down below was the third set of five shots. I didn't believe what i saw. So i loaded another clip and ran them down range. They started to spread a little, i then pulled the bolt out and looked down the barrel. It was nasty to say the least. I sat and pondered what all i have read in these forums for a bit while i was waiting on the next rain pocket to pass me by when i remembered reading somewhere that Anshutz lapps there barrels. I got to thinking about that and it made since to me that i needed to lapp the barrel, but before i left to go home and do that i wanted to test this theory. I ran my boresnake through it once again and did the same thing with the sk plus. And pretty much the same result. SO here i am at home now makeing this post wondering what everyone elses opinion might be. Heres your chance let me know if yall think this is the issue are i have another problem somehwere else.(maybe between the shoulders)

I am looking forward to everyone's input.

Attached Thumbnails

• savage tr5.jpg
  • savage tr6.jpg

#17 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

Sorry guys i must clarify something here. I have been doing a little research on this RWS stuff. Now that i have done this i have realized that the ammo test i did and called it RWS 50, in all truth and to my knowledge is RWS target rifle Sport line. What threw me off was that on the box at the bottom it had a 50 there. Thought that they just updated the box and made it look better. Sorry bout that guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• savage tr7.jpg
  • savage tr8.jpg

#18 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

We just got back from the competition, and although i did not shoot the best i did compete and it went pretty good. Today we went down to the Lufkin match and i shot my TR in the sporter class. My score was a 166/250 not to bad for a windy day like today and being a little nervous about my first match with this rifle.

I also went to a friend of my Uncle LP's house this afternoon after the match when there was hardly any wind. He has a brand new Cement bench he made so we all can have somewhere to practice. It is very nice. With a little less wind variable in the equation i think i could get into the 220 range. As of right now i have not practiced on my windage very much. I know now that will be something i really need to work on. Hopefully i will be able to get a little more practice in before we go to the Alabama match next week. I am really looking forward to getting out for this little trip we have. I am really excited about visiting the CMP and picking out a nice Kimber 82g. I will probably start a thread on that after we get it in because it will be a major adventure in the cleaning and testing with it.

I will try and get some more pictures posted this week sometime of my competition target from today. If there are any inquires on anything i have posted please feel free to ask them, as i have asked alot of questions myself and got some very nice and informative answers. I will try my best to help and give back in anyway i can.

#19 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

VERY happy to hear it is working better now. We look forward to meeting all our visitors. Have a safe trip. YES!!!!! Today was a bit windy. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#20 lbothell

lbothell

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hey man thats great!

#21 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Let me be the first to Welcome you Ibothell, to the best little rimfire forum on the net....

Come here often, post often. Let us see pics.... we are all pic lovers....

Lets here what you shoot and where.

WELCOME
:torch:

#22 lbothell

lbothell

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thanks! I really like the welcoming!! B)

#23 ogreshooter

ogreshooter

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Here are my results from my MK2 TR.
Tasco 2.5-10x42
Federal bulk 36gr

Destroyer of all small critters. Went to the field this morning and decimated the squeeks. Had a good run of 8 or 8 going out to 125 yards. Missed one at 75 due to wind (still learning that part).

End result: Shoots just under an inch at 100 yards from a bipod and no rear bag.

I have my new favorite 22lr. Almost like it more than my other rifles. Almost.

#24 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

ok here is the latest update. Went back to lufkin this past weekend and scored a 194/250. The scores keep rising and my confidence is up. I think this rifle is very possible of moving up the ranks with a little more practice and some more ammo testing. I came across some federal match stuff that worked very well in this gun as well as my new Kimber 82g(which i scored a 220/250). I am also planning on trying out some of this Lapua center X. This seems like everytime i think i figure things out i keep finding something else that i really had no idea about.

#25 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

ok here is the latest update. Went back to lufkin this past weekend and scored a 194/250. The scores keep rising and my confidence is up. I think this rifle is very possible of moving up the ranks with a little more practice and some more ammo testing. I came across some federal match stuff that worked very well in this gun as well as my new Kimber 82g(which i scored a 220/250). I am also planning on trying out some of this Lapua center X. This seems like everytime i think i figure things out i keep finding something else that i really had no idea about.

You'll find(or at least I do) something new everytime you shoot. Just when you think you have a handle on it something else will show up. Keep it up-your scores are climbing. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#26 sjstill

sjstill

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:More stuff than I have time for.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

I've had a MkII TR for 2 weeks now. Have only played around with with it so far (shotgun wads on the 50 yard berm are fun!). Have yet to put it on paper.

Using Federal Bulk, Bushnell Banner 4-12 scope, Harris bipod I borrowed off my Savage 10FP .308.

My main camera decided to take a powder, so I'll have to use the cell phone for pics next time I get to the range.

#27 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Shotgun wads at 50, sounds that you will have no problem hitting a sheet of paper sjstill. (Just kidding) Welcome to RFS.
Happy Shooting!!! Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users