Squeaker Bwana

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Shooting; Reloading; Hunting; Predator calling

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hi Everyone

I just joined this site/forum to see if someone out there may have a solution/answer to scope mounting issues on my Belgium made SA22.

Problem I am battling is scope keeps creeping forward after 20-30 rounds. I have used two different sets of receiver mount rings. (Nikon/Redfield)

I was going to try the barrel mount Browning base but this particular rifle is not drilled and tapped for scope base!!!

Manual states all SA22's are drilled and tapped. Not So. This rifle has Browning Arms Company St. Louis Mo & Montreal P.Q./Made in Belgium engraved on
the barrel.

Flip down leaf sight is different design than described in manual as well.

Has anyone encountered this same problem and if so what was solution?

I have owned this rifle for probably 35 years. It is an exquisite little rifle. I just had a custom stock put on it... absolutely beautiful.

The rifle is a real tack driver when i initially zero the scope but POI shifts drastically as I get beyond 30 shots or so.

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

#2 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

I had the same problem with my 1959 year model SA .22. Someone said rozen would hold it in place, but I never tried it. The Belgium rifles were not D&T'd. I had my D&T'd back in '63 after i got out of college and moved to Montana. I have a Weaver base, but Browning also makes a nice cantilever base as well. I needed wanted a scope back then, and need one now for old eyes. If you need a scope, get it D&T'd as well. If you have to remove the rear sight for the scope base, get a dovetail plug for the rear sight and save the rear sight It will definitely be a tack driver if you have your barrel properly tightened up. I was shooting pine cones off the top of pine trees this weekend. Lots of fun. TB

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

On a rifle that takes down like that, a barrel mounted base is always best... any movement in the barrel/receiver and your scope is off.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 Squeaker Bwana

Squeaker Bwana

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

I had the same problem with my 1959 year model SA .22. Someone said rozen would hold it in place, but I never tried it. The Belgium rifles were not D&T'd. I had my D&T'd back in '63 after i got out of college and moved to Montana. I have a Weaver base, but Browning also makes a nice cantilever base as well. I needed wanted a scope back then, and need one now for old eyes. If you need a scope, get it D&T'd as well. If you have to remove the rear sight for the scope base, get a dovetail plug for the rear sight and save the rear sight It will definitely be a tack driver if you have your barrel properly tightened up. I was shooting pine cones off the top of pine trees this weekend. Lots of fun. TB

Hello TB

I called Browning today and the guy I spoke with cautioned me to not pursue having the gun (barrel) D&T'd. I would obviously confirm the competency of any gun smith i might approach to perform this work. Looked up
serial number info on Browning's site and found my gun was manufactured in 1963. The tech suggested that the screws were backing off and applying Loctite might solve the problem. I am inclined to try this first.
I am aware of both the Weaver and Browning bases. Should I go the D&T route I will buy the browning to take to the smith along with the gun. I'll let you know what happens. I love this gun!! SB

#5 Squeaker Bwana

Squeaker Bwana

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

On a rifle that takes down like that, a barrel mounted base is always best... any movement in the barrel/receiver and your scope is off.

Thanks Carl

The SA22's that were D&T'd from factory were done so on the barrels for exactly that reason.

SB

#6 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

I've had the same problem with the scope slipping forward when using "tip off" style rings.Especially with a fairly heavy scope on a steel receiver.Some Anschutz models provide a stop pin at the front end of the receiver grooves to deal with it.That's a perfect solution but not practical for a grooved receiver Browning owner to do.The long and heavy Weaver J4 with Weaver rings on my Winchester model 77 would creep forward with the clamping screws tightened until they 'squeaked'.Some years ago I solved the problem with Loctite 380.A tiny drop in each side receiver groove under the front ring.I haven't used Loctite on the screws.So far the scope hasn't moved after several hundred shots.
http://www.brownells...CK_MAX_ADHESIVE
Posted Image

#7 Squeaker Bwana

Squeaker Bwana

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

I've had the same problem with the scope slipping forward when using "tip off" style rings.Especially with a fairly heavy scope on a steel receiver.Some Anschutz models provide a stop pin at the front end of the receiver grooves to deal with it.That's a perfect solution but not practical for a grooved receiver Browning owner to do.The long and heavy Weaver J4 with Weaver rings on my Winchester model 77 would creep forward with the clamping screws tightened until they 'squeaked'.Some years ago I solved the problem with Loctite 380.A tiny drop in each side receiver groove under the front ring.I haven't used Loctite on the screws.So far the scope hasn't moved after several hundred shots.
http://www.brownells...CK_MAX_ADHESIVE
Posted Image

Thanks Kizo
I had the same thought although guy at Browning advised against this solution. I am going to do it anyway as I need a scope on this rifle!!!

#8 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

TinHorn, let me know if the locktight works for you. I never would have thought of that 50 years ago. I do know that no amount of positioning or tightening ever stopped the creep on the weaver scope I had on the tip off mounts. The Smitty I had do the work was famous for his custom barrels, but time and old age have stripped his name from my mind. He was a master at his work. This was in the Kalispell, Montana area. Here is a 25 yard target

Posted Image

Posted Image
Never sell one of these little rifles short. They will shoot with the best of them, and are without a doubt the fastest handling field rifle for small game hunting ever.

#9 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

BTW, here is a picture of the little jewel. I should have stuck it in the post above...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users