5 replies to this topic

#1 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

OK i am still new to this but I been reading through this site for some time now and i have had this question i keep wanting to ask yall. I have inherited a Glenfield mod 60 and i have found it a little difficult to find very much info on it. This gun has almost identical markings on it as a stock Marlin. The stock looks to be walnut and has the squirrel right behind the trigger. It came out of a closet of my grandfather's and was extremely dusty and appears that it has set up for a very long time. i have cleaned it up and shot it some but i would like to see if anyone out there could give me some insight on it before i start tinkering with the insides.

thanks

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

Tony is our resident model 60 guy. He can tell you most anything you might want to know about them. In my limited experience the Glenfield name is the same as Marlin-just sometimes the wood might not be as nice. I had a Glenfield 30/30 one time and it was 100% Marlin just with a little cheaper wood. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Tony is our resident model 60 guy. He can tell you most anything you might want to know about them. In my limited experience the Glenfield name is the same as Marlin-just sometimes the wood might not be as nice. I had a Glenfield 30/30 one time and it was 100% Marlin just with a little cheaper wood. Barry

Barry is on the money with his info. The Glenfeild series of rifles are Marlins with economy wood. I have a rifle just like you describe, I purchased it from our own Wille on the board here in 1972 at a chain store called "Otasco". Actually bought several guns there with my Dad as I was too young at the time to make the legal purchase. The model 60 is a fine gun, probably needs cleaning by now. Tony will chime in later and give more info.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#4 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

The Glenfield M60... Well it is probably my favorite repeating .22 rifle I have several of them from the Glenfield Golden 50 (the 50'th anniversary of Glenfield), M60, the Marlin M60 (1 of each stock patterns and coins). The first and most important thing about this design is when you take it apart do so in a plastic bag or you will never find all the parts, total disassembly is not necessary unless there is a broken spring. You can pull the rear cross pin and pull down and back from the rear on the firing mechanism and then the bolt will come out by pulling it to the rear 3/4" and down be careful not to let the operating spring pop out and hit you in the face, it is not easy to lose since it is almost a foot long. The firing block contains almost every part except the trigger and bolt in one piece sandwiched by 2 side plates, they will come apart but you do not wish to do this under any circumstance because 6-7 springs will go in 6-7 different directions at which point the game is over. If you disassemble down to the firing block and bolt carrier you can resolve most any problem that you will have, just take it down and spray Gun Scrubber or Brake Parts Cleaner then with a light coat of machine oil. The lighter the oil you use in this rifle the less you will have to re clean everything, it will shoot aprox. 5,000 rounds before failure to eject which is the #1 problem with this action. 99.9% of failures in this rifle is powder and carbon deposits keeping it from going into battery or the extractor claws get grit down in them and it will not eject a spent round, compressed air and a good cleaning solvent will remedy this without having to do a full tear down and cleaning. I hope this sheds some insight on your project and you get it up and running soon because these are fun little rifles and extremely accurate for a semi-auto .22, the Glenfield's for the most part do not have the newer "Micro Grove" rifling and are even more accurate than the Marlin M60. Good Luck and if you have any problems just post them and I or some of our other resident gun guys will do what we can to get you back in the game ASAP... "T"

#5 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

Barry is on the money with his info. The Glenfeild series of rifles are Marlins with economy wood. I have a rifle just like you describe, I purchased it from our own Wille on the board here in 1972 at a chain store called "Otasco". Actually bought several guns there with my Dad as I was too young at the time to make the legal purchase. The model 60 is a fine gun, probably needs cleaning by now. Tony will chime in later and give more info.

Dwight

Didn't realize they had Otasco stores that far fom Oklahoma (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company). We had one here in town years ago, but no longer around. I thought it was a pretty good store... bought a mower and a rototiller from them 25-30 years ago. Also pretty good for tires and ammo. They would trade, so had used guns too, but I don't recall ever buying a gun from them.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#6 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

Wow guys thanks for all this info. I am really glad i put this post up. This has been a very informative site and everyone seems to be pretty nice and very helpful. Well i guess i will take your advice and just get me a can of cleaner and give it a good cleaning. The issue i was having with it is that the bolt does not always return to its position especially when i load the first round after it fires most of the time it returns ok. I will try and do some cleaning on it after this weekend's shoot down in Lufkin. Thanks again for all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users