2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan_G

Dan_G

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi all, Im kinda new to this forum thing. Im on the wait list for one of Stillers stainless steel 40X Remington action clones for a squirrel rifle build. I am a Remington man thru & thru. I want as much accuracy as possible. In the meantime I figure this is the place to get some expert advice on a barrel>> Lilja-Benchmark-Shilen-Broughton???? 2-4-6 groove??? I have done lots of research & these 4 seem to be the top choices for all the BR shooters. From what I have been reading any one of these 4 would be a good choice. Im kinda leaning towards Benchmark or Lilja but not sure about the grooves. Is the 2 groove mainly for BR shooters? Or would I be better of with a 4 or 6 groove for huntin? & I definately dont want a 17" or 17.5" twist as I have read to much about the bullets tumbling in colder weather. 16" or 16.5" seems to fit my needs. And any suggestions on barrel length?? I need some input on a top notch smith also. One that understands .22 rimfire. I would appreciate any input you guys have. THANK YOU

#2 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

I am having a custom 40X rifle built as we speak and I shoot USBR, I asked the same question to every person that I have met in person at matches and here is what I came up with. I am using a 40X action adding a 24" 16:1 Shilen Ratchet 4 grove with the Cryo treatment, it seems to be an underground favorite and performer. The unique rifling profile forces the bullet to engage the lands and grooves; I hope it works as well as it is supposed to. After talking to several gunsmiths I chose Gene Davis with Lamon Loggins a close 2'nd, if you want a precision rifle go with Davis for a full build if you want a little better price and want a just re-barrel and the stock inlet and bedded go with Loggins. I had little choice because all I had to start with is a receiver, everything else is custom hand built and tuned but I don't think your going this route with a squirrel rifle. I am curious how some of the smaller profile barrels on hunting/sporting rifles improve accuracy; I rarely get to see them due to the restrictions in most BR disciplines they banned. Good luck and let us know how your build works out, if you get a chance post a pic or two we are all about the DIY'ers and their results. "T"

Below I posted the Ratchet 4 Groove by Shilen; it is a cool looking profile and looks like it would work well.
Posted Image
Standard 6-groove Rifling--------------------------------Shilen 4-groove Ratchet Rifling

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 01 February 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#3 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Shooting in all forms
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

I'm keeping my eye on the CMP, I'd love to snag a 40x and try my hand with a real target rifle. I've got a good CZ, and a 10/22 build that is nothing to sneeze at, but I'd love to try out a real one some time. I wonder if he offers left-hand 40X actions...
Two loudest sounds in the world:

1 - A firing pin on a loaded chamber that's supposed to be empty.
2 - A firing pin on an empty chamber that's supposed to be loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users