#1 Jet-Hot

Jet-Hot

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

Picking up a very nice 541X Military rimfire. Almost brand new, Any specific ammo these things like, tricks to make them shoot better????

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,456 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

Picking up a very nice 541X Military rimfire. Almost brand new, Any specific ammo these things like, tricks to make them shoot better????

Nice gun, I would start with a good cleaning. Then start with a standard velocity ammo like CCI Standard Velocity or Wolf MT. This would be a good start and give you an idea of what it likes. I always start a new "Used" gun with a through cleaning with rod and brush, then dry the bore with a couple of patches.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,783 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Any tricks to make them shoot better????

Dwight is right about the cleaning. Here are a few more items to check:
1) Inspect the bedding and bolts to make sure the wood isn't crushed and the action seats clean.
2) If the trigger is dirty, clean (flush) it with Ronsonol lighter fluid.
3) Make sure the firing pin is not slowed by old grease in the bolt body.
4) Even though the muzzle is recessed, check it is not damaged.
5) Verify the trigger is safe and the safety works. Dry fire it on an emply case so you don't damage the chamber.

Your rifle deserves at least Wolf Target grade ammo. Take her out and enjoy. Let us know how she shoots.

Mark

#4 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,442 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

Depends on how deep your pockets are and how good you want it... they shoot pretty good as they are, but can be improved. The trigger on the 541-X is the late style 581-S trigger, so is not adjustable and can use some work. Brian Voelker can re-work it and add the 3 screws, not sure, but think he now gets $75 for that. Another option, if you can find one, is a 541-S or T trigger which was adjustable and better to start. Then to make that version even better, send it to Brian and for about $35 he will re-work it. Next step is to have the action trued, barrel threaded to the action, pillar bedding, barrel floated and re-crowned. No end to what you can do if you want. Let's see, next is a tuner............................ Posted Image ... almost no end to what you can do.
I did all that and had it D&Td for scope bases and added a T-36 Weaver. Problem is, like I said, they shoot pretty good as they were and every little step in accuracy costs more. At some point, you ask is it worth it for that extra .100". In BR shooting, it is, but to some other shooter it may not.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#5 Jet-Hot

Jet-Hot

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

Rifle is going to shot in Vintage Class, so can't do the tuner, bedding deal, but it does come with a Canjar trigger , so I'm not worried about that. Just trying to get some feed back on what to expect . I know I will have to feed it some different types of ammo,

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,442 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

Rifle is going to shot in Vintage Class, so can't do the tuner, bedding deal, but it does come with a Canjar trigger , so I'm not worried about that. Just trying to get some feed back on what to expect . I know I will have to feed it some different types of ammo,

Best ammo will depend on the individual gun as much as the model or brand. A good place to start is the Wolf Match Target or Match Extra or the equivilent SK Standard Plus or Rifle Match.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users