• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

Here is a pic of my Norinco JW-15. I purchased this rifle new from a local hardware store about 20 years ago. I have acquired nicer bolt guns since but it is a fine little rifle. I have it sighted in with CB Longs at 50 feet for shooting black birds and starlings quietly in the backyard. It came with a nice trigger pull. After a bit of consistent take up, it breaks crisply at 2 lbs. I mounted an old Browning 4X scope on it. Some research indicated that the scope was probably manufactured by Burris.

Posted Image

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

Are the magazines interchangable with Brnos and CZs?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,534 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

Neat Dan , I remember you shooting that at the range years ago. Yes same question will the CZ Mags work with this gun ?
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#4 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

Interesting question. My Norinco mags do not even fit in my CZs and my CZ mags do not fit in the Norinco. But, I have read on other forums that the mags are interchangeable. Some place was dumping a bunch of JW-15 mags at a low price a year or so ago and one dude was advising all the readers to buy them as cheap alternatives to the pricy CZ mags. I bet there were many dissappointed buyers. I remember after getting the rifle that the five shot magazine that came with it worked very well. However, I ordered a spare 10 shot from the importer and it did feed well. I sent it back and another was sent to me - it failed as well. I guess the third times a charm because it works great as long as you load no more than eight rounds. If you needed more than that in our old RFRF match, you were dead meat anyway with a bolt gun. So, I was happy with having the reliable eight round mag. The five rounder fits flush like a BRNO's does and really gives the long barreled rifle a sleek appearance.

#5 zywina

zywina

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

Interesting question. My Norinco mags do not even fit in my CZs and my CZ mags do not fit in the Norinco. But, I have read on other forums that the mags are interchangeable. Some place was dumping a bunch of JW-15 mags at a low price a year or so ago and one dude was advising all the readers to buy them as cheap alternatives to the pricy CZ mags. I bet there were many dissappointed buyers. I remember after getting the rifle that the five shot magazine that came with it worked very well. However, I ordered a spare 10 shot from the importer and it did feed well. I sent it back and another was sent to me - it failed as well. I guess the third times a charm because it works great as long as you load no more than eight rounds. If you needed more than that in our old RFRF match, you were dead meat anyway with a bolt gun. So, I was happy with having the reliable eight round mag. The five rounder fits flush like a BRNO's does and really gives the long barreled rifle a sleek appearance.

The scope on your clone (Norinco) was built by Refield if it has the 3/4" tube and are harder to find than hens teeth. I work in a gunshop in Canada and we have the same problem with the mags, some of them work in the other and others don't. We do not know why this anomoly happens, yet the norinco is a ripp off of a BRNO #1,we have a hard time selling them here as the quality for most guns is junk, with the occassional good one in the bunch.Glad yours is worth keeping. I think you asked about a Winchester 370 in another post and no they were not built in the Cooey/Winchester plant here in Canada, regards Dale

#6 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

The scope on your clone (Norinco) was built by Refield if it has the 3/4" tube and are harder to find than hens teeth. I work in a gunshop in Canada and we have the same problem with the mags, some of them work in the other and others don't. We do not know why this anomoly happens, yet the norinco is a ripp off of a BRNO #1,we have a hard time selling them here as the quality for most guns is junk, with the occassional good one in the bunch.Glad yours is worth keeping. I think you asked about a Winchester 370 in another post and no they were not built in the Cooey/Winchester plant here in Canada, regards Dale

Thanks for confirming that I am not alone in my experience with the Norinco/BRNO clone mags.

However, I have to differ with you on a couple of points. First, the Browning scope on my Norinco has a 1" tube. Those are Weaver 1" tip-off rings securing it to the receiver. A few years ago, Jim Watson researched this scope for me a little and discovered that Browning had both Redfield and Burris produce scopes for them to sell under the Browning name at various times. We felt like this scope was a Burris because the subject Browning scopes retained features of their manufacturers' regular lines. Most notably, the Redfield manufactured models had that company's signature grooved or notched rings running around the ocular. This scope lacks those notched rings. I have tried for years to find a turret cap (missing when I acquired it and the Weaver rings for $25 in 1989 from friend, Randy) for the windage turret but to no avail (gleaming gold in the pic above). I wrote Burris once. They sent me a couple of different ones free of charge but neither worked (looked like caps for their more modern scopes). Hey, maybe I should try Redfield (Jim and I could be wrong). Only thing is, Redfield is just a name now sold to the highest bidder. I probably have to find some old scope guru with a garage or basement full of obsolete optical parts.

Second, my 370 12 gauge single shot is marked Made in Canada. After only a couple of early 70s years of manufacture, it was upgraded into the Model 37A with better finish, scroll marked receiver, and a beaver-tail forend. Shortly after I posted the Cooey question you referenced, I obtained a colorful big book from a bargain table at Barnes and Noble. It is entitled, Winchester - An American Legend (they should have added Canada, Australia, and Russia (Toz) to that subtitle) and it was written by R. L. Wilson. On page 266, it pictures a Model 37A along with a Model 490 and a Model 710 and states that all were manufactured at the Cooey factory at Cobourg, Ontario. I would assume that if Cooey made the 37A then it would have produced its plainer forerunner the Model 370. Once again, I could be wrong.

#7 sandy

sandy

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Little late on this. Redfield made the 3/4 inch for Browning. I have two of the 3/4 tube Redfields in 4x. Looked at a browning and it was identical to my Redfield. Killed a
lot of squirrels using those scopes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users