#1 Mr. 22

Mr. 22

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Shooting, Shooting

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

What is the farthest range you have tried.

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers"
-Charlton Heston

#2 Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Used to lob them about a mile when I lived in cornfield country. You'd see a puff of dust rise when it hit. Fun times.

Furthest I've ever effectively used a .22lr is with the Squirrel Sniper, 100yds or a bit past, put a squirrel down like it was at 25yds. I didn't notice terminal performance suffering at that range.

After 100 yards or so, my abilities degrade to the point that I don't feel comfortable shooting at living things. I've therefore never really tried to go further on targets.

Josh <><

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

In Memphis we shoot prone matches at 200 yards and the ammo is surprisingly accurate. When we were kids we tried to shoot a pistol across the Ohio river walking the splash toward the opposite bank. I have no idea how far they traveled, maybe half a mile, but we could not see that far.

Mark

#4 ROGER4314

ROGER4314

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:High Power Rifle competitor 200, 300 and 600 yards. Pistol & rifle reloader. Bullseye and combat shooter with 1911A1. Into 22 military trainers. Love shooting rimfire 22and 17HMR at 200 yards. Jeep Wranglers rock!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

In East Texas, we have been shooting 22LR in 200 yard matches for several years. With the ammo shortages, we are getting more and more into it.

I started my lady in on High Power matches at 200 with a little Marlin 22LR. She did real well and was very good at doping the wind in the matches. Once she tied up with a Marlin 917V in 17HMR, though, she never looked back!

How well do the 22's shoot at 200? Adam, a friend of ours has fired many matches with a Remington 513T bolt rifle and scored over 470 out of 500 with it. That's a great score with an AR-15 let alone a 22LR!
I was there and saw it. He shoots iron sights with no rest or bipod (from NRA positions). He's awfully good!

Currently, I am building a 10/22 with heavy barrel, match trigger and trick stock to shoot at 200. I'll use a scope & bipod, however. Been told the 10/22 won't do well at 200. We'll see.

Flash
You gotta die of something....it may as be something that you like!

#5 ba_50

ba_50

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

For serious shooting, 200 yards. I have another range at 350 lasered yards. Yesterday with a light wind switching back & forth at 350, I hit my 18" plate about 17 out of 20 times. There have been times when I shot as far as I could see the dust fly.

Edited by ba_50, 21 July 2009 - 07:27 PM.

#6 ruger22com

ruger22com

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

200 yards...and the drop was many feet
Visit http://Ruger22.com for 10/22 help, or http://CheapGunParts.com for 10/22 parts!

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,702 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

When Grandpa was teaching me to shoot his Remington 510, in order to give me an idea how dangerous a .22 could be if you were not careful of what was behind your target, he had me shoot across a shallow draw at his plowed field about 1/2 mile from his house. That has stayed with me that it would go that far with no problem at all. Never tried to hit anything except that field at that distance. I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time and I'm 67 now, so it has stuck with me a loooonng time.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#8 Brad

Brad

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Longest shot 130 paces on a rabbit with a winchester sub sonic. The little bullet entered his shoulder and didnt exit. He fell on the spot, gave two kicks and expired. I do alot of 100-150m plinking with subsonic ammo, its great fun and teaches you to really understand wind and shooting up or down hill.

#9 RustyNut

RustyNut

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking
    Hiking
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Reloading

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

We were out in Montana shooting p-dogs a couples years ago. Took out the 10-22's and had a blast. Some of the hits we paced off at 225-245 paces. Of course not every shot connected but you could see the dust cloud to compensate.
I was pacing off one shot and a rattle snake made it to the p-dog before I did. So I didn't finish pacing that one off. ;)

#10 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,968 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

We were out in Montana shooting p-dogs a couples years ago. Took out the 10-22's and had a blast. Some of the hits we paced off at 225-245 paces. Of course not every shot connected but you could see the dust cloud to compensate.
I was pacing off one shot and a rattle snake made it to the p-dog before I did. So I didn't finish pacing that one off. ;)

I've never eaten p-dog, does anyone? Rattle snake isn't bad; chewy chicken.

Mark

#11 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

The guide we use for prairie dog shooting advises us to not even touch them. They don't all but some can carry Bubonic Plague. I once shot a bird(I'll not say what kind) at a lazer ranged 200 yards with the first shot from a iron sighted 10/22. It dropped stone dead. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#12 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

With the Browning .22 auto, I was shooting at a stump in the river which was far enough away to easily get four in the air before the first one arrived. Maybe could have done five. That was a lot of fun. I'm guessing it was 300 yards, maybe more. I once killed a quail with my Marlin 39M at well over 200 yards. It was a fluke.

With centerfire pistols, which generally shoot less flat than a .22, a friend and I set up a 55 gallon barrel on the diagonal of a square 20 acre soybean field. That's 440 yards, and we were able to hit that barrel with everything we had, including the .45 acp with it's rainbow trajectory. Don't know why we didn't have any .22s with us that day. That barrel was riddled with entrance and exit holes.

Edited by cp1969, 06 September 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#13 SharpShooter308

SharpShooter308

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors,hunting,hiking,Knives,guns,reloading,shooting

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

I think the longest shot was about 210 yards stepped off.. Me and a friend where shooting prone at about 20 clay targets we set up down the field. After the first shot we was hit'n them every shot. I think we shotup about 2000 rounds that day.
You can never truly win without first tasteing defeat.

#14 langenc

langenc

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

I have not et any distance records. I did once shoot a crow and to this day I wish I knew how far the bugger was!! Its friend almost bought the second shot and that would have been something spectacular. Too bad-no witnesses.

#15 IMYOURHUCKLEBERRY

IMYOURHUCKLEBERRY

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:shooting, fishing knives, and beer

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

The range that I am a member of only goes out to 200 yds. It is 230 yds at the berm where the bullets strike. We frequently place clay skeet traps on the berm to shoot with our 10/22's or whatever rifle you have. Frankly I do not understand why people say that the 22lr is not accurate passed 50yds and 100yds is pushing it. As a matter of fact we consistantly hit the traps on a calm day, and we take advantage of windy days since we can see the bullet strikes in reference to the skeet traps. In our range the wind always swirls, it is never consistant but this trains us to better read the wind. On my 10/22 the fiocchi high velocity rounds have been the round of choice for my rifle at that distance, it is very accurate. As a matter of fact it is getting so boring to shoot clays we are now thinking of golf balls on top of tees. The 22lr is a very accurate and deadly round at that distance as well. At two hundred yds it penetrates a 1x4 wooden plank that is out there.

There are two defining forces who have died for you. One is Jesus Christ for your soul and the other is the American Soldier for your freedom.

#16 keith custard

keith custard

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:high power, rimfire sporter, coaching, cooking, volunteering!

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:58 AM

during my approx 7 year running a jr rifle program i showed the kids how to hit the club swingers at 200. after about 15 minutes of instruction and practice they had regular hit with iron sights. how? easy. it's a hustle. i had placed a aiming point well up the hill from the swingers. the kids would work the parents saying they could hit and parents couldn't. the parents couldn't as they didn't know the "trick" long range with a 22 isn't tough at known rangee. in real life effective is 75-100 yards

#17 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

Memphis Shooting Sports is holding Monday 200 yard smallbore prone and F-class matches. The only problem is they are during the day. Dang on retirees have all the fun. <_<

Mark

#18 Joe M

Joe M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:.22 Rimfire

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

Using my Savage MK II-FVT with 20 MOA Base and 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint Mil-Dot Scope, I have shot out to 275 yards at my 8x10" gong with pretty good success. However, over on another website I am shooting monthly (30 Shot)matches at a 5x7" gong from 200 yards. Using the Eley Sport ammo I don't have a problem hitting a 4x5" gong from 200 yards with an 80% plus success rate. The 3.5x3.5" gong from 200 yards is another story - I average about a 60% plus success rate on that one.

However, lately I've been rediscovering 25 and 50 yard (offhand, kneeling, setting, & prone) shooting with my Ruger 10/22 with the Tech-Sights TSR200 Aperture. It's all fun! :tumbs:
Joe

#19 RicSmith

RicSmith

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

I fired 200 yards at a nra SR2 target. x ring is 3" 10 ring is 7.5" and 9 ring is 13" (make sure im right on that.)
last 10 round string off the bench was 100 with 4 x. wind was 10 to 15 var. in speed and direction.
i was usin a win 52D with palma sights and glob on the front. ammo was mini mag at 1240 fps (?)
I shoot service, LR and sniper matchs, also started 22 2 years ago. Speed of sound is around 1185 FPS so this ammo goes sub around 33 yards down range. I was shooting 28 MOA up from my 50 yard zero using eley sport that is sub sonic from the start. (looks like most matche is sub.) I can not see light rifles with short barrels doing any better Mine is 28" long gun is around 12 lb with iron sights. If your going to try shoot paper so you can see your groups and adjust them onto the x ring. we did this with 3 rifles and will shoot our first 200 yard match on the 16 of this month. I dont think that the 40 gr. slug will hold true much after the 200 yard line. the next time we shoot the KD range on Bragg we plan on trying the 300 yard line just to know.
any one with hard info/
Ric

#20 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

Ric,
I'm glad to see others are shooting 22 RF 200 yards. You should see better results using standard velocity match ammo; dropping through the sound barrier hurts accuracy. I built a 22 RF 40X specifically for LR practice; same stock, trigger, and sights. Most shooters would probably be surprised what the little 40 gn bullet can do. This will definately improve your wind game.

Mark

#21 mitchp48823

mitchp48823

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Shooting sports and anything with horsepower

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Me and a buddie regularly set up clays at 125 yds stepped off and dust them about every shot. Although 125yds is hardly as far as 200yds but we run out of space in his yard.

#22 ROGER4314

ROGER4314

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:High Power Rifle competitor 200, 300 and 600 yards. Pistol & rifle reloader. Bullseye and combat shooter with 1911A1. Into 22 military trainers. Love shooting rimfire 22and 17HMR at 200 yards. Jeep Wranglers rock!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

My lady has a .22 Marlin that we call the "Bonnie Blaster." It's the rifle that she first started shooting 200 yard matches with.

In sighting the rifle in, we got a 100 yard zero and added 77 scope clicks "up" for a 200 yard zero. Each click was 1/4 minute. That's using Wally World bulk ammo.

Flash

Edited by ROGER4314, 18 January 2010 - 10:38 PM.

You gotta die of something....it may as be something that you like!

#23 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything that goes bang, Stihl Chainsaws
    Crow Hunting

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hello, this is my first post, so it mite as well be a whopper.

It was years ago I had hung an 11

#24 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here with us. I've had a 540 XR and it was a nice rifle. Had to have something else(don't know now what) and sold it. Some people shoot 22s a long way very often. I'm mostly at 50 yards. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#25 Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything that goes bang, Stihl Chainsaws
    Crow Hunting

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here with us. I've had a 540 XR and it was a nice rifle. Had to have something else(don't know now what) and sold it. Some people shoot 22s a long way very often. I'm mostly at 50 yards. Barry

Thanks for the Welcome.

I tried shooting that plate the next day with a little wind, hits where far and few in between.

About 1965 I was a small boy with my Dad at the barn. Dad said watch me scare that ground hog
down in the creek bottom. With open sights 22, he held over and whistled to get the ground hog to stand up.
Dad fired, it fell over stone dead! That tickled my Dad so much. I have also ranged it, just over 175yds

As far as a Lucky for me. I was 10, stepped into a covy of Quail. With my .410/22 which I thought was
set on .410 I knoced a Quail out the air with the 22 :rolleyes:

TT

#26 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

When I was in my early 20's I mounted a scope on a Rem. 514 and lobbed them in at a little over 200 yards to hit priarie dogs. I got good enough to hit one after 3 or 4 shots. It was pretty crude set up compared to what I have now.

But consistantly I have shot gophers at a little over 100 yards. But have not tried much farther.

John

#27 beautriz66

beautriz66

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

Shot at 200 yards on the range at Twin Lake gun club ( W. Michigan) hitting a small freon can repeatedly with a Savage mod.24 .22 over 20 gauge (!) and my buddy's Ruger Single six. That was probably 20 years ago. We were the only ones on the range and started with a 30/30 super 14 contender and a marlin 336 .35 Rem. That was fun.

#28 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Currently, I shoot 100 yards on a regular basis. This gun club I belong to now has their 200 yard range up and running. With my .22's set for 100 yards, I have to hold over around 3.5 feet to hit targets at 200 yards. My scopes are duplex type cross hairs so I'll first fire for effect sighting in on a dirt clod or animal foot print on the dirt back stop before I move over to the paper. Got to try a mil-dot cross hair next.

Now when I was kid hunting jack rabbits with my friend and his father....we use to shoot waaaaaaaay out there. Never bothered to step off the distance, and it was prior to the invention of the laser, so we couldn't just lazer the distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users