#1 WATCHADDIC

WATCHADDIC

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Ok guys trick question, Whats the best Sako .22 lr ever made, ie 72, 78, 94, quad, and why? I want to buy one, I know where a few different models are, but at the cost can only buy one, all are in 95% or better condition. Thanks rich

Edited by WATCHADDIC, 02 July 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#2 Rimfire Kid

Rimfire Kid

Legendary Shooter

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:small bore silhouette, air rifle silhouette, and field target

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

I have a P94S Finnfire Range. The rifle has no problems putting 5 shots into a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I use it for my standard (heavy) class smallbore silhouette rifle. I also like the way the stock fits me. I am well pleased with this rifle. There is only one design change that I would make. I would replace the single piece of piano wire that is used as the ejector. I would replace it with a dual extractor of some sort. Too bad that Sako doesn't make this rifle anymore. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle and an ammo test target. All of the groups are 5 shots. The target was placed at 100 yards.

silhouette rifles 001.jpg
silhouette rifles 002.jpg
IMAG0008.JPG

#3 WATCHADDIC

WATCHADDIC

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have a P94S Finnfire Range. The rifle has no problems putting 5 shots into a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I use it for my standard (heavy) class smallbore silhouette rifle. I also like the way the stock fits me. I am well pleased with this rifle. There is only one design change that I would make. I would replace the single piece of piano wire that is used as the ejector. I would replace it with a dual extractor of some sort. Too bad that Sako doesn't make this rifle anymore. Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle and an ammo test target. All of the groups are 5 shots. The target was placed at 100 yards.

silhouette rifles 001.jpg
silhouette rifles 002.jpg
IMAG0008.JPG

nice rifle and accuracy, thanks for your response, rich

#4 timberbeast63

timberbeast63

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, fishing, hunting, reading, camping

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

I think the best one to buy is the P94S action -- the Finnfire. I have a 78, a Finnfire, and a Quad. The 78 is a terrific rifle, built like a tank. But magazines and parts are scarcer than hen's teeth, so I'd have to recommend the Finnfire. What a great action. Lots of benchrest guns built on this action. And if you like the Range, then you have a really special gun with the adjustable stock. A used one will cost you $1200-1400. A used Finnfire hunter will go for $800-950.

You can probably get a synthetic stocked Quad for $600. They are very nice guns, too. I just like the Finnfire better. But you can get a Lilja barrel for a Quad and with that, it will probably outshoot a factory barrel Finnfire.

If you get any Sako rimfire in good shape you'll have a great rifle. :tumbs:
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. - C.S. Lewis

#5 MrSkoorb

MrSkoorb

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Smallbore, large ore and cowboy Sihlouette.
    Service Rifle & CMP
    IDPA & IPSC
    Reloading

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

I just received a P94S Hunter at my FFL.  Going to go pick it up today!  Can't wait to see how it shoots!

"Fat, drunk and stupid is now way to go through life, son".

- Dean Wormer, Animal House

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,875 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Can't tell you what the model is, but a guy in our club almost always wins the Hunter/Sporter class with a Sako sporter. Then he cranks the scope up from 6.5X to 20x, shoots it in our Scoped Target Class and usually shoots just out of the medals (top 3) against Anschutzes, 40Xs and customs. I don't know what it weighs, but he shot it in H/S when the weight rule was still 7 1/2#. If he can shoot as good as he does against up to 13 1/2# rifles, it must be pretty good.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#7 1222many

1222many

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:shooting,gardening,nissan trucks.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Sako have reintroduced the Finfire 2.

My only gripe with them is that there are no aftermarket mods for them in the UK. DIP stuff ain't available. For quality they better than the CZ455 but twice the price. Guess I'm stuck with the CZ for now.. David.

#8 MrSkoorb

MrSkoorb

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Smallbore, large ore and cowboy Sihlouette.
    Service Rifle & CMP
    IDPA & IPSC
    Reloading

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

1222many.  If you want access to DIP products, they are in the state I live in.  If you know what you wanted, I can order it, have it shipped to me, then re-ship to you, all I'd ask is you pay the cost of all shipping from Dip to me, me to you. PM me if interested.

Dave

"Fat, drunk and stupid is now way to go through life, son".

- Dean Wormer, Animal House

#9 1222many

1222many

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:shooting,gardening,nissan trucks.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

Mr Skoorb, that's a very generous offer but I must decline to accept it as it would put me in breech of the Blair/Bush agreement. The consequences for me could be dire. David.

#10 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,452 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

Mr Skoorb, that's a very generous offer but I must decline to accept it as it would put me in breech of the Blair/Bush agreement. The consequences for me could be dire. David.

Dire consequences??  They can pop up at any time...Yesterday I went to NAPA to get a couple of bottle jacks..My brother worked for them for 10 years so the managers will still give him the employee price..A guy at the counter heard my name called by the manager and introduced himself..Joe and I are kind of the "gun guys" and a lot of people know that..He proceeded to tell me that he has an AK-47 that he wants to convert to full auto...I told him the first thing he needs to do is find a Class 3 dealer willing to do the work and get a Class 3 stamp..So far so good...THEN he proceeds to tell me he wants to do the work himself and wants to know how to do it...My temper got the best of me and I told him with my hands held up in the stop position.."End of conversation.!!!" and then turned away from him...He starts yammering again so at that point I got in his face and said.."End of conversation..Get IT!!". Joey the manager finally told him.."Better stop while you are ahead." We as "gun guys" have all come across questionable and yes illegal things during conversations, research, etc. The best thing we can do is shut up..You never know just "who" is asking the question and for "what reason"...Better safe than sorry....I do not need to lie awake at night worrying about the dreaded "dire consequences."...I guess the Brits had as good a saying as any.."Mums the word."....Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

There is no fine print in a mans word.. or his handshake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users