#1 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone make a drop in adjustable trigger for the old Win. Model 75T? If not who can do a reliable 16 oz. trigger job?
Thanks
Dale Ramey

#2 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

Can anyone guide me to a trigger smith for my Winchester 75T. I want to go from 38 oz. to 16 oz. I can cut the springs and get a 16 oz. pull but it will fail to reset about 20 % of the time. Is the newer Model 52's trigger design much different and could one of these maybe drop in and work?
Dale

#3 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

As far as I know the Winchester 75 triggers are what they are and no "drop in" kits exist nor is adaption of another models trigger system practical.Generally speaking a trigger pull much under 3 pounds is difficult to achieve safely on the 75.The trigger spring screw is somewhat adjustable,and a little careful polishing of the engaging surfaces of the trigger and firing pin is about all that can be done to improve the pull.After this minimal tinkering the rifle should be tested for 'bump firing',and insure that the rifle doesn't fire when the safety is switched to "Fire" after the trigger has been pulled with the safety in the "Safe" position.I've read of cases where the rifle would fire upon closing of the bolt if the trigger spring screw was too far out or the engagement of the trigger and firing pin was too shallow or the surfaces misshapen even slightly.This trigger system is fairly crude and requires precise fitting to obtain a 'SAFE' 2 1/2 or 3 pound pull.From my limited experience and reading what those I consider to be experts on this model have said, a 1 pound pull that would pass the safety tests would be unusual.Sorry for such a negative answer to your question. If it's not correct perhaps someone will come along and enlighten us.

#4 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

Dale,
My 75's are up in Cincy so you will have to determine if this will work on your own. Cutting springs will only get you so far before the trigger becomes inconsistent and unsafe. A trick that sometimes works is to put a small spot weld on the trigger where it will hold out the sear. You then file down the protruding weld material until you have a safe but minimum engagement. Also polish the surfaces until they look like a mirror.

Always bump and range test the rifle after any trigger modifications.

Mark

#5 djr

djr

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the answers. I seem to have proven what you both have told me. Cutting of the spring got me a 20 oz. trigger but it was dangerous. So polishing and carefull adjusting of the spring tension ended up with a safe, consistent, but heavy 38 oz. trigger. I was just grasping at straws now.
Thanks,
Dale

#6 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,456 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

IF you can find the contact information Karl Kenyon would be the last word on triggers. He specializes in Winchester 52 triggers and many more.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#7 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,007 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

Give Butch Hongisto a call. He can be hard to get a hold of sometimes. His # is 573-468-3234. His email is hongisto@fidnet.com. He does a great job on 52 triggers maybe he can help you on your 75T. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#8 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,783 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

Karl retired in April. I guess the price of his 52 triggers just went up.

Mark

From BR Forum:
On behalf of Karl Kenyon, and his family I was asked to pass on to all of you that he has now officially retired and will no longer be doing any gunsmith or trigger work. Karl and his wife Zoe are both in their 90's and have decided to move to Utah to be closer to family. Karl also wishes to thank you all for your patronage & support over the years. Karl is a one of a kind true American that I had the privilege to live next door to for nearly 20 years.
Thank you all. Les Robison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users