• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Shooting of course, making and playing (poorly) stringed instruments, backpacking, photography, camping hammocks, I am a big hammock camper and make my own stuff.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

I just bought a 1418 from Gander mountain but I cannot find anything on what the exact variations are from the 1416. What do I have here? Thanks for your help. Mule

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:20 AM

Let us know what you find out, Mule. I have a 1416 but have not heard of the 1418. I'm sure it will be a shooter. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

1418 appears to be the obsolete double set trigger version of the 1416, but not sure if this is the only difference.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Shooting of course, making and playing (poorly) stringed instruments, backpacking, photography, camping hammocks, I am a big hammock camper and make my own stuff.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

So far I found out (from reading the sticker on the box) that it is a Single Stage trigger, Item 2182020, Ser 3090433, and three other numbers that do not seem to mean anything outside of Anschutz.
Out of the box it is shooting at least as good as my Savage Mark II, but I haven't found the ammo it likes yet. I will be calling the Merke company today to try to get some information. I am already in love with it, nicknamed her Ann of course.
Question: Are there any modifications that I should consider doing to this rifle? Is the receiver bedded or would it help at all to bed it?
This is a lifesaver forum for me....Thanks to you all. Mule

#5 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:16 AM

The only model I could find in a 1418 was a 1418D-ST, so that must not be the same thing you have. That was from the Anschutz site under manual download of obsolete models.

Patrick Henry

#6 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Carl, Thank you. I think you are right about the ST. I did find that mine was test fired in 2008 by going through the markings on the barrel and comparing them with a cross reference chart I found on the net. So it's new alright. What I think it is is a sprorter model of the long stock model that they used to make. Looks exactly like a 1416 but has a slightly larger diameter barrel and a protruded outside diameter of the barrel where the rear site is attached. I appreciate your help. I am now in the process of finding what ammo she likes. So far it doesn't do any better or worse than my Savage Mark II, but that's nothing to complain about. I like the rifle a lot.

#7 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,535 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

Is this a heavy target rifle or a sporter ?

The reason I ask I have a Anschutz 64 sporter , however no place on the gun can I find that its a 64...I just know a 64 action when I see one. Mine was made in 1956 , I bought it from the owner who bought it new in 1957. Mine also has the double triggers or Set Trigger. Mine also will not do better than 3/4 to 1 inch at 50 yards no matter the ammo blush.gif

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#8 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ May 21 2009, 07:40 AM) View Post

Is this a heavy target rifle or a sporter ?

The reason I ask I have a Anschutz 64 sporter , however no place on the gun can I find that its a 64...I just know a 64 action when I see one. Mine was made in 1956 , I bought it from the owner who bought it new in 1957. Mine also has the double triggers or Set Trigger. Mine also will not do better than 3/4 to 1 inch at 50 yards no matter the ammo blush.gif

It is a sporter with sites. The importer wrote me that it was a limited production and I would not find it on any lists of rifles offered.
I am getting groups of 3/8 inch accasionally on cheap ammo. But normally I get maybe two of those groups and a flyer on in five rounds. Sometimes I get two flyers and then a good group. Most are about in the 3/4 to 1 inch size though.
I am trying to come up with a removable muzzle tuner os some kind to experiment with. A friend who has a Savage MK 2 puts a large long magnet on his SS barrel and brings his groups in to dime size with cheap Remington ammo. Didn't seem to help my Savage though.
I have tried several expensive brands of ammo. Eley Aquilla sub sonic, Federal Premium Gold Medal and even Dynamic Nobel Target Rifle round are all about the same, but the Eley Subsonic Hollow Xtra shoot half the sized groups as the others. That's the best Ammo I can find around here, but now I have the Federal Gold Medal Target that I bought from a member on this forum to try today.
Do any of you Bed the receivers on your Anschutz?

#9 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,535 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

No they are as they came, I think mine was also an optional gun as I cannot find it listed in the old catalogs. Mine has a 3 leaf "Express" type rear sight and a regular sporting front sight like you might find on any sporting rifle from the late 50s. My other is a Anchutz 54 Super Match , it is a 12 + pound rifle that will stack good ammo into very small groups.

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#10 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Wow! I would love to have one of those REAL target guns. But I am happy. This Anschutz is the best rifle I have ever had and to tell the truth, I enjoy the lightweight qualities of the Sporter model in some ways. I'm sure it would stack them better if I'd gotten a heavy barrel though.
Yes, my sights are the same as yours I think. The front site with the ball is made of aluminum. Found that out yesterday when I took off the scope to adjust the sights. There was not enough adjustment on the rear sight alone. Thanks again.

#11 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

From looking at the pictures of the 1416, it appears to have the Anschutz small action. I was told by the Anschutz service guy in Florida that there are 3 actions, the big 54, medium 64 and the small action which he said didn't have a particular model assigned. I worked on a pair of small actioned 1451s and a Kadett for a friend of mine a while back. Tried to get the triggers lightened up, but all 10-Ring in FL sent was a couple of cut down factory springs... cutting spring coils is very limited and it also allowed the adjustment to be backed off far enough that it would not reset the sear. Anshutz did not make a lighter full length spring for the small action like they do for the other actions and I didn't look very hard for similar springs that were lighter.

Patrick Henry

#12 Mule

Mule

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

When I bought the rifle they told me it was a model 64 action. It has a one stage trigger but adjustable to about a pound. The more I shoot it the better it gets. In fact, I put a set of peeps on it and have been having so much fun shooting it at 50 yards. I am amazed at the accuracy of this rifle. I also have a Savage Mark II, and at first the Savage and the Anschutz seemed to be about the same in accuracy, but now after a thousand rounds or so the Anschutz kicks butt, less flyers by far using cheap ammo, anyway. Thanks to all of you and your help. I think the rifle is a keeper.

#13 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ya got to love those Annies!! smile.gif Barry
Barry A. Holmes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users