Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

First, cold barrel flyers... I don't think that is unique to Remington, any rifle can do that. I think it has as much to do with ammo as anything. Lots of people shoot target ammo in the better rifles to get the most out of them and the lube from target ammo IMO is what makes the difference.

Next, you walk out of the store with the Savage and it's worth less than you paid... the 541-T will not depreciate.

I'm certainly not going to knock the accuracy of the Savage because they have done a lot in the last few years to make them an accurate rifle, but in most cases, the 541-T HD will be just as accurate.

That's my two cents, but then I'm a Remington guy... older Remingtons anyway.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Gary-I've owned both and will give you my opinion. It's worth just what it'll cost you. The Remington will be more accurate-BUT-it will be by such a small amount you have to decide for yourself if it will be more accurate enough to warrant the price difference. Fit and finish, beauty and such is 100* for the Remington. You will have to make the ultimate decision. Let us know what you decide and post some pictures if you can. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#4 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,490 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Barry @ Apr 23 2009, 07:17 PM) View Post
Gary-I've owned both and will give you my opinion. It's worth just what it'll cost you. The Remington will be more accurate-BUT-it will be by such a small amount you have to decide for yourself if it will be more accurate enough to warrant the price difference. Fit and finish, beauty and such is 100* for the Remington. You will have to make the ultimate decision. Let us know what you decide and post some pictures if you can. Barry

Buy the Remington , in 5 to 8 years the price will seem like a steal.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#5 Mookie

Mookie

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

Remington. I read all the time about how people are getting super accuracy with the savages, but whenever the post anything other than single targets shot and not the one super group the pulled, it's nice, but nothing special.

And the Remington is a better built rifle. Capable of much more also. As mentioned the Rem will hold it's price and increase in the future.

The Savages do hold their value, but not nearly as well.

#6 yagermeister

yagermeister

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for the advice. I had pretty much decided on the Remington, and your input reinforced my decision. Expected to pick up the rifle on Friday night, but showed up at the dealer close to closing time, and couldn't get the transfer approved by phone before he closed. I guess it's been awhile since I've purchased anything; didn't expect to wait for a long gun. With my CCP I most likely could have walked out with a handgun (state not federal approval). This just intensifies my reservations about what's going on back in D.C. right now. I will most definitely be sending the NRA-ILA whatever I can, whenever I can. I'll keep everyone posted on how this transaction works out. Thinking about putting a Konus Pro 6-24X44 AO scope that he has on it. Scope has superfine reticle that's laser etched on the optical glass; no actual crosshairs I guess.

#7 yagermeister

yagermeister

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

I'm so happy that I went with the Remington. Put a 6-24X44 Konus Pro scope on it. Tried a few different types of ammo at 50 yards, using the tailgate of my S-10 Blazer with a few sandbags as a rest. I'm sure it can do much more than I've seen, but so far so good. I'll post some more results when I put the rifle on a good rest. I want to thank everyone for helping me with my decision. It put four American Eagle 38 gr. rounds into a 3/10 inch edge to edge hole with one flier. It seems to like CCI Green Tag also. Eley Match Rifle did about as well as the Green Tag.
Thank You,
GaryIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Edited by yagermeister, 02 May 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#8 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

You did well my friend. That is a beautiful rifle. You'll be very happy with it. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#9 Ky Bob

Ky Bob

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Glad you went with the Rem 541. They are awesome rifles and will hold their value many times over.
I had one 15 years ago and went brain dead and sold it. I have regreted that ever since.

#10 yagermeister

yagermeister

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Finally got a nice calm morning to take the 541-T out and try some different ammunition. Tried shooting off of homemade sandbags and also off of a Royce rifle rest. Realized that my technique needs to be evaluated and improved. I was not shooting the rifle as I would a high power hunting rifle in that I wasn't pulling it tightly into my shoulder. When I did it seemed like my groups improved. I didn't think it would make that much difference. Some groups were good and others not so good. Some ammunition that did well before didn't do as well this time, which convinces me that my shooting technique needs work. The CCI Velocitor and American Eagle are five shot groups, all others being ten shot. All shot at 50 yards.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#11 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:speaker building.woodworking.photography and motorcycles<br />not to mention firearms

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

Nice rifle.......nice shooting. You'll be very happy with the 541, I love mine just working the bolt, taking it out and looking at those 6 lugs. There's nothing like it in the .22 field that I know of.

Later
Rich

#12 relodr36

relodr36

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

I'd try some better ammo like Eley,Wolfe Match/match Extra,Lapua,and RWS.
I recently bought a 541-T HB and put a Sightron 36X scope on it,but haven't shot it yet.If it won't beat my CZ453,I'm going to be disappointed.The CZ will usually group 5 shots at 50 yards in the range of 0.350"-0.600",but it won't stay under 0.500".
I also got a Harrell's tuner for the CZ,to play with.
The CZ is sure one heck of a squirrel rifle,though.I have a 8-32X Tasco on it,but with a 7" drop from 50 to 100 yards for target ammo,you also need a rangefinder.

#13 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

I recently bought a 541-T HB and put a Sightron 36X scope on it,but haven't shot it yet.If it won't beat my CZ453,I'm going to be disappointed.The CZ will usually group 5 shots at 50 yards in the range of 0.350"-0.600",but it won't stay under 0.500".
The CZ is sure one heck of a squirrel rifle,though.I have a 8-32X Tasco on it,but with a 7" drop from 50 to 100 yards for target ammo,you also need a rangefinder.

You have to realize that a tuner will not make a bad ammo or rifle shoot good, it will only make good ones shoot better. When I talked to Ron Hoehn some time back (couple of years), he said get everything else right first, then add the tuner.

Patrick Henry

#14 yagermeister

yagermeister

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

I am very anxious to try some of the better ammo when I can find some. My 541-T HB was made in 1995, and has a very light trigger. Don't know what's been done with it so far, but where it's at now I see no reason to even look at it. Both 711B and 922A Federal ammo will group five shots under a half inch. I've had American Eagle 38 gr. HP and CCI Velocitor five shot groups under a half inch also. I still haven't tried the rifle with a good "vise" type front rest and a good rear bag, and believe that results will only get better. I'm going to work on my technique and get a Caldwell Rock front rest and rear bag to see what the rifle will really do. Aguila Golden Eagle Match Rifle has grouped between 1/2 and 3/4 inches even with a 5 m.p.h. variable wind. I thought long and hard about spending the money that I did on the rifle, but now think it's one of the best purchases I've ever made! Hope you enjoy your 541.

#15 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

Not to change the subject too much, but the 541-THB Voelker Match that belonged to my best friend who died a year ago, will be going on Auction Arms some time in the future. I will keep an eye on the auctions and post when it goes on. I have the opportunity to buy it before it goes, but have the 541-X that Brian built and have too many other "needs" before I spend money on another Voelker Match rifle. If it met our club's Hunter/Sporter rules, I would already have it... don't remember what it weighed, but I know it weighed well over the allowed 7 1/2#. I have shot the rifle and it will actually outshoot my own rifle, I think mainly because the trigger is better on the THB. Also don't remember what it had for a scope, but seems like it was a decent but not top notch one... maybe a Redfield variable.
The friend that is selling the guns for the widow is a no nonsense kind of guy and his pictures and descriptions will be accurate. He had trouble with one guy that bought two rifles close together and wanted the shipping cost cut, but Joe has it very plainly spelled out in his description as to how they will ship , and like I said, he's a no nonsence guy and is just breaking even or losing a little money the way he is doing it.

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users