#1 RKimball

RKimball

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Howdy out there!

I have been mostly lurking, checking out the information I can get from these very knowledgeable forums. I haven't felt the need to buy any magazines, or how-to books, every question I had has been answered right here. Many Thanks!

Just recently, I bought a Model 34 Remington, passed up a chance at a couple of 550's and a 512X. I already have two 550-1's and a 511, plus my 513S; I did not really need another rimfire, but it was there singing its siren song, so 135 bucks out the door and it came home. It is mostly in good to very good condition, the bluing all looks great with just minor muzzle wear. Date codes "PC", June 1934, I believe. The wood looks mostly good, too but Bubba has been at work, he drilled two holes (in the wood!) back by the receiver where one might expect to locate a receiver sight that was not the proper one for the rifle. Bubba also drilled and tapped two #10-32 holes in the receiver, probably for a side mount scope base, but they were not properly lined up, so I expect the scope looked funny when it was mounted, if it could be mounted. Bright shiny bore.

I had some cartridges with me, so I drove out into the country and popped a few rounds at some prickly pear cactus buds, just for something to do this afternoon. I am glad nobody came along, because I was poking the rifle out the window of my vehicle. Not good, I know, but the whole thing was quick and dirty, I didn't want to pay at our one and only public range just to pop off a few rounds. My apologies to any whose sensibilities may have been offended. It was fun, stolen fruit you know, but I didn't stay long.

Thanks for all the good information. I will be lurking. Adios.

#2 loner5667

loner5667

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(RKimball @ Feb 8 2009, 06:51 PM) View Post

Bubba has been at work, he drilled two holes (in the wood!) back by the receiver where one might expect to locate a receiver sight that was not the proper one for the rifle. Bubba also drilled and tapped two #10-32 holes in the receiver, probably for a side mount scope base, but they were not properly lined up, so I expect the scope looked funny when it was mounted, if it could be mounted. Bright shiny bore.

RKimball,

Nice little rifles, I have three of them, Bubba got ahold of one of mine as well. The M34 and the M341 both have the same 'unique' cartrige lifter system that is just plain cool to watch. I have watched a video on how to fix the holes in the receiver so that you really have to look to see them when you are done. Not sure if the link will take you right to the video, if not,

http://www.midwayusa...=homepage021609

Go to Midway website, click on how-to videos

Find the Winchester M67 project series

Scroll down to 'How to fill extra holes'

Enjoy video

If you can't find it that way, go to you-tube and search for Midway how-to's

#3 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(loner5667 @ Feb 25 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post

RKimball,

Nice little rifles, I have three of them, Bubba got ahold of one of mine as well. The M34 and the M341 both have the same 'unique' cartrige lifter system that is just plain cool to watch. I have watched a video on how to fix the holes in the receiver so that you really have to look to see them when you are done. Not sure if the link will take you right to the video, if not,

http://www.midwayusa...=homepage021609

Go to Midway website, click on how-to videos

Find the Winchester M67 project series

Scroll down to 'How to fill extra holes'

Enjoy video

If you can't find it that way, go to you-tube and search for Midway how-to's

Neat Videos there, thanks for posting that.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#4 RKimball

RKimball

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Loner 5667,

Dang brother, those are some really good videos. My dad used to work with Art Mashburn in Oklahoma City and he would fill #6 screw holes with an old iron nail that fit pretty close, then peen just as in the video. That has been the technique I used through the years. It worked very well except the fill could be seen in the finished bluing job, probably because of the difference of the metals.
The cold bluing process looks interesting, too. I am definitely going to look into investing in a tank and some of that cold blue.

Thank you for the link and the heads up.

#5 tintinteslacoil

tintinteslacoil

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Howdy out there!

I have been mostly lurking, checking out the information I can get from these very knowledgeable forums. I haven't felt the need to buy any magazines, or how-to books, every question I had has been answered right here. Many Thanks!

Just recently, I bought a Model 34 Remington, passed up a chance at a couple of 550's and a 512X. I already have two 550-1's and a 511, plus my 513S; I did not really need another rimfire, but it was there singing its siren song, so 135 bucks out the door and it came home. It is mostly in good to very good condition, the bluing all looks great with just minor muzzle wear. Date codes "PC", June 1934, I believe. The wood looks mostly good, too but Bubba has been at work, he drilled two holes (in the wood!) back by the receiver where one might expect to locate a receiver sight that was not the proper one for the rifle. Bubba also drilled and tapped two #10-32 holes in the receiver, probably for a side mount scope base, but they were not properly lined up, so I expect the scope looked funny when it was mounted, if it could be mounted. Bright shiny bore.

I had some cartridges with me, so I drove out into the country and popped a few rounds at some prickly pear cactus buds, just for something to do this afternoon. I am glad nobody came along, because I was poking the rifle out the window of my vehicle. Not good, I know, but the whole thing was quick and dirty, I didn't want to pay at our one and only public range just to pop off a few rounds. My apologies to any whose sensibilities may have been offended. It was fun, stolen fruit you know, but I didn't stay long.

Are you in Az, specifically, Tucson? I've been looking for a model 34; only saw one at one gun show years ago, Shoulda snagged it! Lemme know if you wanna sell yours-- it doesn't have to be in great shape, either. I need to replace grandpa's.

#6 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,511 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Welcome to RFS Telsa, is your name a clue....do you make Tesla Coils ??

I have always been fascinated by them.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#7 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,692 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to RFS Telsa, is your name a clue....do you make Tesla Coils ??

I have always been fascinated by them.

Dwight

Maybe it's a hint that he's AC...:D :D :D

Sorry about that... welcome Tesla!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users