#1 razorbill10

razorbill10

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

i'm new to this site and i'm buying a lever action 22 lr and am interested in the henry mainly because of price.is there a reason why the browning bl and marlin 39 cost more (ie:are they better quality,or just paying for the name)or should i stay away from one of these.it will be used for hunting in the bush mainly,any opinions would be appreciated

#2 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

I recently bought the basic Henry H001, .22 lever action. I saw it at a gun show and fell in love with the walnut stock and forearm. I did not go to the show with the intention of buying a rifle, only a carry holster for my .380. I must say it is one of the most fun .22s I have ever shot. I grew up as a teenager shooting a Win 62A pump. I would give my eyeteeth for that .22. It was stolen while I was away in college. I later replaced it with a Rossi clone, and it shoots great, but it is not a Winchester. My brother-in-law that I used to hunt with as a kid had a Marlin mdl 39 I believe. he was about the only person that could out shoot me. That Marlin was slick and still shoots like brand new. We hunted together 50 years ago. I have never shot the Browning LA, but it is pretty gun for 2Xs the money. I have a Browning 241 I bought in the 60's to take the place of a 1926 Remington model 24 I shot untilI retired it when I go my Win. 62A in 1954.

Right now, I would say buy the Henry and don't look back unless $$ is a non-issue. And if that were the case I would buy one each. But I would look for one of the older Marlin's rather than something newer. The Browning has a very short lever stroke, but I don't see where the slightly longer throw of the Henry is a problem. It is shorter than the Marlin (as I remember it to be, anyway.) And the customer care of Henry is superb. Browning, Remington etc. are rightly proud of their customer care. The few times I have ever called on one of the major arms manufacturers they have responded. But never in 5 minutes to an e-mail that I sent to the president of Henry.

#3 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(razorbill10 @ Dec 16 2008, 06:33 PM) View Post
i'm new to this site and i'm buying a lever action 22 lr and am interested in the henry mainly because of price.is there a reason why the browning bl and marlin 39 cost more (ie:are they better quality,or just paying for the name)or should i stay away from one of these.it will be used for hunting in the bush mainly,any opinions would be appreciated

I have seen several Henrys at our local range. One friend of mine shoots one in our 50 yard silhouette match in the open sight class and has a blast with it (at least a dozen monthly matches so far). I have never witnessed his jamming or misfiring.

On the other hand, one is getting more than a name with the Browning BL22, Marlin 39, or Winchester 9422. I have a Marlin 39 and a 9422 and they are truly great rifles. The basic Marlin design has been around since 1899 and its marvelously machined steel receiver is a feeding and firing masterpiece. My 9422 is all steel and walnut as well and it edges out the Marlin and even a few of my bolt guns in the accuracy department. The Henry's receiver cover is made of zinc I believe.
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#4 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting- anything that walks or flies, punching paper at the range, IDPA or other matches when time allows.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

I've got the Browning BL 22 and it is a great rifle, except for the trigger. The trigger is VERY heavy, crisp, but heavy. I've been spoiled lately by the reworked triggers in my 10/22s and the triggers in my CZs, which makes the heavy trigger of the Browning a bit of an obstacle to accuracy, IMO. I still love the rifle, the short lever throw and the balance make it a lot of fun to shoot. Ammo seems to disappear about as quickly as with a semi auto biggrin.gif .
Whichever you decide to get, I think you'll be happy. The Henry is a great little rifle for the money and very accurate.

Jay

#5 razorbill10

razorbill10

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

i just bought the henry 001 .22 lr and like it.i like the fact that its built in the u.s (all parts included),havn't tried its accuracy but it has a smooth action and shoots well.should be a fun little bush rifle and put a dent in the rabbit population.thanks for the comments.

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,728 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

No personal experience, but I've heard the factory service is very good for Henry. I have a 39A and it's deffinately a quality built steel and walnut rifle. I have handled a couple of newer ones that felt kind of rough... mine is a 1980 model, has been shot very little and is smooth.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#7 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

Razorbill10, you won't be unhappy. It is a fun little gun to shoot. I had mine out Saturday supposedly to hunt squirrels, but since I didn't see one immediately upon getting out of the truck, I spent the next hour or so shooting targets, stumps, butterflies, and one big ole grasshopper. It is a really pretty little gun.
Posted Image
The grain in the stock and forearm really caused me to buy it when I did.
Posted Image

And it shoots real well! Posted Image
Posted Image
My #2 son shooting it the first weekend I had it. I didn't have the Weaver K4 on it at that time. We were bouncing a rock at 50 yards with it. Great fun. TB

#8 rodeo kid

rodeo kid

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Guns(of course), trying to collect Colts and Winchesters, reading, gardening and breeding toy schnauzers.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have a Henry Hoo1L which is the basic .22 with a larger lever. I also have a Winchester 9422m and a Marlin model 60sb semi-auto with scope. I like them all and the Winchester is the best quality, but I now shoot the Henry most of the time as it is the most fun, there is just something about moving that smooth lever over and over that I love. Squirrels around here are doomed, it hits everyone I aim at and I am old now and thought I needed a scope, hence the Marlin, but with the Henry I just hardly ever miss. Get one, you will like it, and it is made here which I liked.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, so buy more guns now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users