#1 Trick

Trick

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

First off, Hello to everyone. I'm new to this sweet website, so please be patient with me. As stated in the title, I have a Stevens Model 70 "Visible Loader" pump .22. I inherited it from my grandfather after he passed away and I'm trying to learn more about it. It needs some TLC and likely a few parts. I want to fix it and enjoy it in the worst way, it means so much to me. I really need help with obtaining a parts list and/or instruction manual. I don't care if its a scanned copy, original for sale, etc... Any help would be very much appreciated!! tumbs.gif

BTW: I was also interested in learning more about the history of the Stevens brand. I know Savage imported Anschutz rifles, and some Stevens also, right? I noticed many others have posted questions for Stevens rifles in the Savage section, is that why? Any info or links to other articles will be enjoyed and appreciated!

Thanks again!

#2 Fatstrat

Fatstrat

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Trick @ Jul 3 2008, 06:54 PM)  

First off, Hello to everyone. I'm new to this sweet website, so please be patient with me. As stated in the title, I have a Stevens Model 70 "Visible Loader" pump .22. I inherited it from my grandfather after he passed away and I'm trying to learn more about it. It needs some TLC and likely a few parts. I want to fix it and enjoy it in the worst way, it means so much to me. I really need help with obtaining a parts list and/or instruction manual. I don't care if its a scanned copy, original for sale, etc... Any help would be very much appreciated!! tumbs.gif

BTW: I was also interested in learning more about the history of the Stevens brand. I know Savage imported Anschutz rifles, and some Stevens also, right? I noticed many others have posted questions for Stevens rifles in the Savage section, is that why? Any info or links to other articles will be enjoyed and appreciated!

Thanks again!

Been trying to reply for several days since I 2st found this forum. Apparently server not compatable w/my usual Webtv.
Anyway, Stevens Co. dates back to approx the Civil War. Savage bought them about 1920. After that, most Stevens guns were generic versions of Savage models.
Now to your Model 70 "Visible Loader". Congrats on owning one of the more interesting historical rimfire rifles. But actually, even tho it was produced for quite a few years, it was kind of an "Edsel" which was also called the "miserable loader".
Basically is was a poor designed attempt to produce a pump action repeater based on the popular Stevens Favorite styling.
It did work reasonably well as new, but was and is a such a NIGHTMARE to repair that when they broke people just began discarding them or tossing them in the closet not to be seen for decades. So many of them have found their way into history's scrap-pile that nowdays they (especially good condition WORKING examples) have aquired collector interest.
Generally parts are fairly easy to come by, as many find it easier to part them out than repair. Watch the gun auction websites such as Gunbroker.com or AuctionArms.com . Be aware they are usually refered to as "Visible Loader". But occasionally listed under the Mod.70 .
Finding someone to work on it, who knows what he's doing, will likely be the trick.
I'm a hobbiest "kitchen table gunsmith', who buys old broken vintage guns and attempts to repair/restore them. I picked up an early Mod. 70 in .22 short awhile back. But instead of tackiling the repairs myself, took it to my local gunsmith who claimed he knew how to work on them.
That was 3 months ago. And altho much progress has been made, we still have a few bugs to work out. But he/we are learning as we go. I'd be happy to ask my gunsmith if he would be willing to work on yours. Or you can look around locally to see if anyone wants to try. Be advised it is NOT, repeat NOT a gun you'll want to try fixing yourself. Unless you are an experinced gunsmith w/proper shop tools. I also have some private contacts that might be able to help w/parts.
Would also suggest you look on the Rimfirecentral.com "Savage' Forum archieves as there are several informative topics on these rifles there.
For a parts list, contact: abby@cornellpubs.com for a reprint of a vintage Stevens parts catalog (about $15.)
This will have an exploded view w/complete parts list.
Feel free to email me and I will help you any I can.
IMO if your Visible Loader isn't too far gone, it would make a worthy project. Especially since it is a family heirloom. But be advised that you could easily sink as much/more into a repair as you could buy an already working example for. Good luck. Fatstrat@webtv.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users