#1 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

OK so most of you know that I have had a boat load of 541-581 5 and 10 shot clips from a estate that I'm helping a friend with.

All the 5 shot clips are gone. I got a call from my friend and he has another box of stuff, but I don't know what is in it yet. But I do have over 20 - 10 shot clips left and there doesn't seem to be any interest in them.
Here is what I'm thinking of--converting the 10 shot to 5 shot clips. I have cut one apart and have the info on the type of glue to glue the bottom back on with, but I'm stuck on how to figure out the correct spring length without taking apart one of my own 5 shot clips.

Does anyone out there have a 5 shot clip that has broken open and a spring that I can use as a pattern to make 5 shot springs out of the 10 shot springs?

Is there any interest in me making these clips? Would any one buy them? Let me know. I would like to do something with these 10 shot clips.

Thanks, John

#2 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

IIRC, the Viper (Model 522?) mags work...

I seem to recall having the same issue and solving it when I ran across some 522 mags that apperaed dimensionally identical. I then ordered five of the things...

Hope this helps some...and someone correct me if I'm wrong (on the 541 using them). I know they worked in several of the 581's I have...

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(MarinePMI @ Jun 24 2008, 11:29 AM)  
IIRC, the Viper (Model 522?) mags work...

I seem to recall having the same issue and solving it when I ran across some 522 mags that apperaed dimensionally identical. I then ordered five of the things...

Hope this helps some...and someone correct me if I'm wrong (on the 541 using them). I know they worked in several of the 581's I have...

It is the model 77 magazines that work, not the 522s. The 77 is the removable mag version of the Nylon 66. The difference in the mags is the "V" notch in front of the metal clip at the top rear of the mag is slightly larger to accomodate the faster cycling of the semi-auto 77. The 77 mag works like a charm in the bolt actiions, but the bolt action mags may not work as well in the semi-auto due to the almost non-existant V notch where the case rim "pops up". BTW, the 77 mags are still available from Midway.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 RimCon

RimCon

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Jun 24 2008, 04:07 PM)  

It is the model 77 magazines that work, not the 522s. The 77 is the removable mag version of the Nylon 66. The difference in the mags is the "V" notch in front of the metal clip at the top rear of the mag is slightly larger to accomodate the faster cycling of the semi-auto 77. The 77 mag works like a charm in the bolt actiions, but the bolt action mags may not work as well in the semi-auto due to the almost non-existant V notch where the case rim "pops up". BTW, the 77 mags are still available from Midway.

I second Carl's tip here. The model 77 mag turned my 541THB from a real PITA to a smooth shooter....The 77 fits much more tighter in the mag well, no more excess vertical movement.
I also picked mine up at Midway, something around $18 a piece. Money well spent IMHO.
RimCon

Edited by RimCon, 24 June 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#5 alang

alang

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(jpickar @ May 29 2008, 08:20 PM)  

OK so most of you know that I have had a boat load of 541-581 5 and 10 shot clips from a estate that I'm helping a friend with.

All the 5 shot clips are gone. I got a call from my friend and he has another box of stuff, but I don't know what is in it yet. But I do have over 20 - 10 shot clips left and there doesn't seem to be any interest in them.
Here is what I'm thinking of--converting the 10 shot to 5 shot clips. I have cut one apart and have the info on the type of glue to glue the bottom back on with, but I'm stuck on how to figure out the correct spring length without taking apart one of my own 5 shot clips.

Does anyone out there have a 5 shot clip that has broken open and a spring that I can use as a pattern to make 5 shot springs out of the 10 shot springs?

Is there any interest in me making these clips? Would any one buy them? Let me know. I would like to do something with these 10 shot clips.

Thanks, John

John,

I am new to the forum and just noticed your post about the ten shot clips for the 581. Was wondering if you still have any that you would like to sell. Are your clips metal or plastic?

Thanks,

Alan

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

Alan... Welcome to the forum, but sorry, there were no all metal magazines for these rifles. There is a small metal piece at the top rear of the magazine and the spring is metal, but that's it. If you look on the Midway sight, I believe they call some of them metal, but they are not. Somewhere I saw someone modified another brand of metal magazine to work in them, but I don't recall what they were or where I read it.

The Model 77 5 shot mags are still available and they work great.

Patrick Henry

#7 alang

alang

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Carl @ Dec 2 2008, 04:22 AM)  

Alan... Welcome to the forum, but sorry, there were no all metal magazines for these rifles. There is a small metal piece at the top rear of the magazine and the spring is metal, but that's it. If you look on the Midway sight, I believe they call some of them metal, but they are not. Somewhere I saw someone modified another brand of metal magazine to work in them, but I don't recall what they were or where I read it.

The Model 77 5 shot mags are still available and they work great.

Carl,

Thanks for the info. The reason that I am looking for a metal clip is that my son's ten round, plastic one will no longer hold the bullets after about five hundred rounds fired. He says they just pop out. Does this sound right, or does it sound like we got a bad one or did something wrong? Do the magazines sold for a 77 tend to last longer than the ones sold for a 581? Five shot longer than ten shot?

Any feedback would be appreciated, since at this rate replacing the magazines will cost more than the shells.

Alan

#8 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

Alan...

I don't know that the 77 mags would last any longer than the 541/581 mags because they are basically the same thing. Only difference in them is the slightly wider and deeper "V" notch and it has a little "77" formed into the mag. Not sure why you are wearing them out as it should take thousands of rounds for that to happen. If they will stand up to the the extra pounding of the 77 semi-auto, they should be good. I bought some from a guy that had a 77 and he was using both 5 and 10 round and both 77 and the bolt mags in his 77. I would have bought the 77 also, but the stock was cracked. I just bought his 5 round mags, either 3 or 4 of them. He said he didn't notice any difference in using the bolt action mags in the semi-auto and didn't even realize there was a difference in them.

Patrick Henry

#9 mohuntin

mohuntin

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Quality rimfire rifles

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hello John, I would be interested in some of your 541 magazines, would you sell me a few.
Mark
Quality rimfires are meant to be shot and hunted with not just admired.

#10 Rex

Rex

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(RimCon @ Jun 24 2008, 05:25 PM)  

I second Carl's tip here. The model 77 mag turned my 541THB from a real PITA to a smooth shooter....The 77 fits much more tighter in the mag well, no more excess vertical movement.
I also picked mine up at Midway, something around $18 a piece. Money well spent IMHO.
RimCon

I hope you fellows are right, I just ordered 4 nylon 77 magazines for my 541T from MidwayUSA. The old mags are getting worn out. Rex

#11 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(Rex @ Feb 16 2009, 10:47 PM)  

I hope you fellows are right, I just ordered 4 nylon 77 magazines for my 541T from MidwayUSA. The old mags are getting worn out. Rex

They must have gotten more in... someone else mentioned they had some coming. When I placed a Midway order about 3 weeks ago, the 5 round 77 mags were out of stock. I believe they had 10 round in both the 581 and 77 mags. I think I have a couple of 10 round, but never use them. As a matter of fact, I seldom use the 5 rounders except to fill the mag well, as the only rifle I have is the 541-X Voelker Match made for BR shooting and always shoot single due the chance of deforming a bullet when loading from the mag. Only load the mags when I'm "re-lubing" the barrel after cleaning or to warm the barrel up a little.

Patrick Henry

#12 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

I just looked at Midway and they show out-of-stock on all of the 581 and 77 mags.

#13 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have some 10 shot 581 mags left new in the package.
$20 for 2 shipped priority mail.

email me,
John

#14 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(jpickar @ Feb 18 2009, 12:37 PM)  

email me,
John

That's a real good buy for someone wanting the 10 round mags. The guy I bought the 5 round mags from was using 541/581 mags in his 77 and said he didn't have any trouble.... not sure I would take the chance though.

Patrick Henry

#15 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Rex @ Feb 16 2009, 10:47 PM)  

A freind had never been able to get his CMP purchased Remington 541X to cycle rounds from 541, 581, etc. mags. He tried some 77 mags last week and said that they worked fine.

#16 keysjourney

keysjourney

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(jpickar @ May 29 2008, 11:20 PM)  

Thanks, John

what do you want for your 10 shot clips? Rich

#17 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

I can ship 2 for $20 shipped 1st class
John

#18 Ed Mann

Ed Mann

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(jpickar @ Mar 7 2009, 11:22 AM)  

I can ship 2 for $20 shipped 1st class

PM sent. How many left?

#19 Ed Mann

Ed Mann

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Ed Mann @ Apr 3 2009, 01:21 PM)  

PM sent. How many left?

Two less.

Magazines received just as advertised.

#20 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

I see that Midway has the 10 round 581 and 5 round 77 mags back in stock. I just ordered one of each.

#21 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

I got my 77 mag and I can verify that it is the better mag for the 581. I just ordered 2 more of them from Midway.

#22 Daemon

Daemon

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:31 AM

Hi there,

Do you still have some of the 10 round Remington 581 magazines to sell? - my only magazine is being held together by electrical tape and prayers at the moment!

Kind Regards

Daemon

email me,
John

#23 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

I do not have anymore magazines to sell at this time. If I sell my 581 to 541 conversion rifle then I will sell my spares I have.

John

#24 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

What kind of conversion are you doing John?

#25 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hey Jim, How you doing? I haven't been around here much the last year or so. Life has been demanding. So when isn't it? ha ha

I converted a 581 to a 541-T profile type gun. It is a real good shooter, but not as good as my 40X sporter I made. I put a Leupold 6X compact A.O. on it this spring. It really made a difference over the 4x Burris I had on it.

My two boys and I went antelope hunting this last weekend and we filled all 5 tags in 3 hours. The number of antelope were way down compared to what they were a couple of years ago. Bad late winter storm killed off some. A cold and wet May-June killed off the fawn crop and the wolves are getting thier share too.

What have you been up to?

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 37946_441197862055_726422055_5981441_3548883_n.jpg
  • 37946_441197852055_726422055_5981439_766467_n.jpg

#26 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Wow John,

Those are some nice Antelopes a sounds like you had a very successful hunt. Like you, I've been absent here also. In the Spring my spare time gets filled up with guitar playing, so the rifles get to take a break. The only project I have going is putting a Rem. Model 7 on a diet. With the way the economy is right now it'll be a long drawn out project.

581's converted to 541's is a super project. I'd like to see yours when or if its completed.

#27 jpickar

jpickar

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

I think it's done! You know how projects can go........

I also have a Model 7 that is a 243 with a youth stock. I want to do something with it but not sure what yet. I am starting on a Marlin 336 and am going to cut it down to 18" and with a 2/3 mag tube. The Marlin doesn't shot so well now so I figured since I will have to mess with it anyway to get it to shoot, I might was well make a handy "trapper" out of it.

Good hearing from you again. Oh, I traded for a 1953 6" K22 this spring. I also got a 4" 617 no dash that is a fantastic shooter.

John

#28 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Not sure what you might want to do with the Model 7, but here's a couple of stock ideas.
http://www.stockysst...ocks/Categories
http://www.lonewolfr.../stocks/hunting
A Lone Wolf is going on mine since I'm going to lighten the rifle.

A 16" barrel 336 will definitely wake up the neighbors. :lol:
Those are some great pistols you acquired also.

My big thing is Coyote season is getting started and that is what I love to hunt. My Model 7 is in 17Rem. and between it and a 204 those are what I'm playing with now.

#29 pap

pap

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thanks, John

John, Do you have any of the 10 shot 581 clips left? I am a new member who has just aquired a 581 and would like to have an extra clip or two. I would really like to have at least one 5 shot but I see by your last post ( a few months ago)you only had 10 shot clips remaining. If you no longer have any it's my loss.

Thank you,

pap (jim)

#30 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

John, Do you have any of the 10 shot 581 clips left? I am a new member who has just aquired a 581 and would like to have an extra clip or two. I would really like to have at least one 5 shot but I see by your last post ( a few months ago)you only had 10 shot clips remaining. If you no longer have any it's my loss.

Thank you,

pap (jim)

idway has the 10 round mags in stock for $14.99. Their stock no. 752114

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users