22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

I started with a mark II Bv that was about 3/8

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1504.JPG

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 07 April 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#2 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Quarter inch groups. Ouch. Lawsy, Barry is gonna be comin at us from the top with that reworked Cooper and Tony is closing in from below with this Savage MK II. Man, gonna have some fun at the future BR matches. Just hope we have a range to shoot em at.

Three local politicians just happened to be standing around in the bank lobby today and I asked them if Sheffield was really going to make that big golf resort and residential development of theirs come true and they said without hesitation that, "Its a done deal". sad.gif
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#3 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Danny Creasy @ Apr 7 2008, 11:08 PM) View Post

Quarter inch groups. Ouch. Lawsy, Barry is gonna be comin at us from the top with that reworked Cooper and Tony is closing in from below with this Savage MK II. Man, gonna have some fun at the future BR matches. Just hope we have a range to shoot em at.

Three local politicians just happened to be standing around in the bank lobby today and I asked them if Sheffield was really going to make that big golf resort and residential development of theirs come true and they said without hesitation that, "Its a done deal". sad.gif

I hate to hear about the "Done Deal", Danny. What will happen to the club? Are there any "What if" plans? Are there any possible alternative sites? Ya'll have done so much work on the range and have it looking so good it is a shame to lose it all now. Barry

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 7 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post

Barry A. Holmes

#4 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(221 Fireball @ Apr 8 2008, 04:27 PM) View Post

I hate to hear about the "Done Deal", Danny. What will happen to the club? Are there any "What if" plans? Are there any possible alternative sites? Ya'll have done so much work on the range and have it looking so good it is a shame to lose it all now. Barry

Tony-hope you can make it to Sheffield to shoot in the BR matches. It is a great time with some great friendly people. Oh yeah-welcome to the site. Barry

thanks Barry , I am a new member as of the first of the year, I have shot 3 matches so far i did ok in the raptor and like a 188 1x in the usbr last month and well i showed up for the 50/50 i finished 6th. and 8th . i like the matches we have and watching Danny (dam hes good) dwight,jay and the rest to many to mention. are all good shooters and a true joy to be around . my wife goes all but once since i joined we have a great time and get some fresh air and exercise. i watched all the matches except usbr before i shot them , i got a good feel for the rules and people, now i plan most of my outings around 9:00 AM SATURDAY MORNING , cuz im gona be predisposed in sheffield shootin matches and im gona shootem (matches that is)till they run me off the land with a golf cart... serriously tho ,I love the club and have never been around that many people that are there for fun not just to win. on the note of Danny "MR. NATURAL" , I hate to say this but mr. tied the world record, I'm gona figure out how you just seem to always have a "ON" day , im gona figure it out and im goin for the record (serriously how do you do it ??) i can take you on your own match but i can't break 200 for record nd like 209 in practice. i guess its like me shooting off hand(i suck out loud) i guess thats why we keep doing what we do because once you pass the $25.000 a year 3 years runnin on guns and ammo and reloading components and on and on.. lol it's not just for fun anymore it's a life style.....for real guys thanks for makin me feel so welcome and look foreward to seeing you all at our endangerd range. "T"

QUOTE(Danny Creasy @ Apr 7 2008, 11:08 PM) View Post

i have heard from a few of the historical and planning com. people and residents from the area around the range in sheffield and if the folks at the landing have it thier way they will not be putting in anything, at least not on the range property. i don't know just talk till its done.

i will see yall sat for the 25/50 Anedra is gona shoot this one, (insert jokes and comments here) no im just kidding shes ok to only be shooting 2 years. i finaly convinced her that just do it dont think about it just shoot like your the only one there. "T"

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 08 April 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#5 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Sorry, didn't know you were a member. I didn't make the last match and missed you . Look forward to meeting you at the next BR match. Barry blush.gif
Barry A. Holmes

#6 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 7 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1517.JPG
  • DSCF1522.JPG

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 08 April 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#7 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 8 2008, 08:38 PM) View Post

it's still a work in progress, im still gona chop off some more spring rounds (im goin for 3-4 oz. )and get some better rest bags and a rock rest. the ammo thing is still something im workin on i picked up a few more kinds in nashville today. and now dicks in coolsprings is out of federal champion 714. they looked at me funny, school kids they only know whats in video games i guess....lol "T"
a few pics from the first time out on the range, more later.

Ok here we go I

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1523.JPG

#8 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 14 2008, 07:41 PM) View Post

Ok here we go I

#9 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,042 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Great thread you got goin here Tony. Funny about the Eley. I have so run in to that before. I concur with your thoughts on trigger weight. Under 1 lb is hard for me to shoot with. I can't call my shots. The best groups I shot with my Marlin 81TS last Fall were with Remington Golden Bullets! What a goofy sport.

I hope the wind is gentle for your string on Saturday and your rifle shoots true.

Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#10 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

I sure agree with you on making accu-trigger adjustments. I kinda thought you might be taking more spring off than you needed. In fact, you cut more off than I have heard before. I cut 1 1/2 coils of my 93 trigger, and I believe it is around 1 lb., no guage. Like yours, took all the creep out of it also. Besides some range fun, I like to hike around the woods with mine. I think I read something about you getting an SSS stock ?

I had one made for myself (target model), and put it on last year, awesome wink.gif I enjoyed reading

the posts and progress, welcome to the site.

too

#11 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(toopointer @ Apr 16 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post

I sure agree with you on making accu-trigger adjustments. I kinda thought you might be taking more spring off than you needed. In fact, you cut more off than I have heard before. I cut 1 1/2 coils of my 93 trigger, and I believe it is around 1 lb., no guage. Like yours, took all the creep out of it also. Besides some range fun, I like to hike around the woods with mine. I think I read something about you getting an SSS stock ?

I had one made for myself (target model), and put it on last year, awesome wink.gif I enjoyed reading

the posts and progress, welcome to the site.

too

Well I got to shoot my savage on sat. Morning. I shot a 202 in heavy wind #3 in my class, of course Danny was 1'st Dwight 2'nd me 3'rd it was close (go to www.nasaclub.com for the rest of the scores)... i'm happy with my score maybe next month this spring wind will be died down . All in all i

Attached Thumbnails

• gallery_1779_17_26843.jpg
  • gallery_1779_17_26843.jpg

Attached Images

• ColorSamples3.jpg

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 21 April 2008 - 02:42 PM.

#12 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 21 2008, 01:53 PM) View Post
Well I got to shoot my savage on sat. Morning. I shot a 202 in heavy wind #3 in my class, of course Danny was 1'st Dwight 2'nd me 3'rd it was close (go to www.nasaclub.com for the rest of the scores)...

Correction, Dwight got first with that Russian Biathlon Basic in sporter class. Weaver V-16 and Wolf ammo he shot a 216-0X in like six minutes.

#13 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 21 2008, 01:53 PM) View Post

Well I got to shoot my savage on sat. Morning. I shot a 202 in heavy wind #3 in my class, of course Danny was 1'st Dwight 2'nd me 3'rd it was close (go to www.nasaclub.com for the rest of the scores)... i'm happy with my score maybe next month this spring wind will be died down . All in all i
Barry A. Holmes

#14 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Keep in mind Tony that the replacement stock will knock you out of Factory Sporter Class. I have cut and pasted the relevant sections of their rules for you to review. However, this would give us three shooters (Tony with SSS stocked Savage, Danny with 8 lb 10 0z Ruger 77/22, and David with Brookes Kit CZ 452) that could compete in the Custom Class and not have to go against the really heavy unlimited rifles.

From USBR rules:

2. Sporter Class

Unmodified factory rifles. Trigger work, bedding, and/or recrowning is acceptable. Trigger work must be limited to polishing of surfaces and normal adjustment of the assembly, such that a factory trained technician would not be able to tell that the assembly had been modified in any way. A recrowned barrel may be no more than 1/2 inch shorter than original length, and the owner is required to provide any documentation necessary to verify that this is the case. Pillar and/or glass bedding is acceptable, and the forend of the stock may be "opened up" in order to free-float the barrel.

Barrel: Unmodified factory with manufacturer's name or logo stamped into the metal of the barrel.
Weight limit: 8.5 lbs. including sights.
Scope: No limit.
Stock: Unmodified factory, convex on all bottom surfaces.

2a. Additional Sporter Class Comments

Sporter Class is intended for non-custom factory made guns. If a gun can be ordered by a catalog number (i.e.: Acme Model XXX-XX), and it meets the other qualifications, it is legal in Sporter Class. If modifications are made, such as ordering or installing a different barrel or trigger than the model of gun came with, then it is deemed to be customized, even if the modification came from the factory or was standard on a similar model, and even if done (whether required by the manufacturer, or not) as part of the original order. An example would be a case where, when you place your order for a firearm you must specify what components are to be used... this would not qualify as a Sporter Class gun.

We do allow trigger work, bedding, and re-crowning.

Trigger work is defined as light polishing of surfaces and tuning using existing adjustment screws. A reworked trigger should look and operate identical to the original, to the point that it would be difficult for a factory technician to be sure that the trigger had been altered.

Bedding work, both "glass" and pillar, is allowed to provide a better mating surface between the action and/or barrel and the stock. This also covers "free floating" the barrel and/or action, and additional bedding of the forend to create a "pressure-point" between the stock and barrel. It does not allow the addition of tuning devices that did not come standard with the rifle. "Glue-ins" are not allowed unless it was standard on that model of gun.

Re-crowning may be desirable if a barrel is damaged, but we do not allow the barrel to be shortened more than

#15 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Danny Creasy @ Apr 21 2008, 08:37 PM) View Post
Keep in mind Tony that the replacement stock will knock you out of Factory Sporter Class. I have cut and pasted the relevant sections of their rules for you to review. However, this would give us three shooters (Tony with SSS stocked Savage, Danny with 8 lb 10 0z Ruger 77/22, and David with Brookes Kit CZ 452) that could compete in the Custom Class and not have to go against the really heavy unlimited rifles.

From USBR rules:

2. Sporter Class

Unmodified factory rifles. Trigger work, bedding, and/or recrowning is acceptable. Trigger work must be limited to polishing of surfaces and normal adjustment of the assembly, such that a factory trained technician would not be able to tell that the assembly had been modified in any way. A recrowned barrel may be no more than 1/2 inch shorter than original length, and the owner is required to provide any documentation necessary to verify that this is the case. Pillar and/or glass bedding is acceptable, and the forend of the stock may be "opened up" in order to free-float the barrel.

Barrel: Unmodified factory with manufacturer's name or logo stamped into the metal of the barrel.
Weight limit: 8.5 lbs. including sights.
Scope: No limit.
Stock: Unmodified factory, convex on all bottom surfaces.

2a. Additional Sporter Class Comments

Sporter Class is intended for non-custom factory made guns. If a gun can be ordered by a catalog number (i.e.: Acme Model XXX-XX), and it meets the other qualifications, it is legal in Sporter Class. If modifications are made, such as ordering or installing a different barrel or trigger than the model of gun came with, then it is deemed to be customized, even if the modification came from the factory or was standard on a similar model, and even if done (whether required by the manufacturer, or not) as part of the original order. An example would be a case where, when you place your order for a firearm you must specify what components are to be used... this would not qualify as a Sporter Class gun.

We do allow trigger work, bedding, and re-crowning.

Trigger work is defined as light polishing of surfaces and tuning using existing adjustment screws. A reworked trigger should look and operate identical to the original, to the point that it would be difficult for a factory technician to be sure that the trigger had been altered.

Bedding work, both "glass" and pillar, is allowed to provide a better mating surface between the action and/or barrel and the stock. This also covers "free floating" the barrel and/or action, and additional bedding of the forend to create a "pressure-point" between the stock and barrel. It does not allow the addition of tuning devices that did not come standard with the rifle. "Glue-ins" are not allowed unless it was standard on that model of gun.

Re-crowning may be desirable if a barrel is damaged, but we do not allow the barrel to be shortened more than
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#16 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ Apr 21 2008, 10:23 PM) View Post

Hey if we got nice folks to shoot Rimfire with us it fine with me......everyone knows that I have "No Class" biggrin.gif

See this is why I love this club, always willing to lend a helping hand and a word of friendly advice.
Yeah I was looking at that the other day, I decided that im building 2 identical mkII

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 21 April 2008 - 10:37 PM.

#17 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(TONY Q.C.I.S. @ Apr 21 2008, 11:34 PM) View Post

See this is why I love this club, always willing to lend a helping hand and a word of friendly advice.
Yeah I was looking at that the other day, I decided that im building 2 identical mkII's (save stocks), im starting on another one as soon as it arrives late this week or early next week for Anedra to shoot. I have been working with her off the benches. She has a lazy left eye that she has had 2-3 surgeries on and it still doesn't work. She sees 2 of every animal on the rack when she trys to shoot and has worked her @#$ off and poor thing just cant see. So I took my Remington 597 and put a scope on it and she can shoot it 1 eyed and close the bad one...so im gona have 1 savage with SSS stock and im putting my wood stock on her plastic model (out of wood and $50 cheaper) I figured what the heck im taking mine off anyway. Any way thanks guys see ya sat morning. I think im shooting my some times 3shot burst (only on the bench) Remington 597, i guess me and Keith will be doing the Remington thing for CMP."T"

Hey Tony, I don't know if you know it or not but I only have 1 good eye. My left eye has less than 15% vision in it . I wear a eye patch over it during shooting...these can be had at any pharmacy or Wally World for a buck, It takes the eye strain off the left eye, This might help Anedra.

Dwight

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#18 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Pdwight @ Apr 22 2008, 12:03 AM) View Post

Hey Tony, I don't know if you know it or not but I only have 1 good eye. My left eye has less than 15% vision in it . I wear a eye patch over it during shooting...these can be had at any pharmacy or Wally World for a buck, It takes the eye strain off the left eye, This might help Anedra.

Dwight

You was telling me about it Sunday afternoon. For you or me that would work, but remember were talking about a 29 yo. Woman. Not exactly a "fashion statement

#19 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

This is just too dam funny ! but I do want 1.

Attached Thumbnails

• AssaultWeapon_1.jpg

#20 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

Well I have decided to try a seemingly easy job on my BR project; I tried and succeeded in bedding my first stock. This all started when my rifle seemed to be making a u shaped group and SSS is backed up.well after disassembly I found that the factory recoil lug (1/2

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 23 April 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#21 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting- anything that walks or flies, punching paper at the range, IDPA or other matches when time allows.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Great project, Tony. It will be interesting to see how the bedding affects the consistency and accuracy of your rifle. Good luck.

Jay

#22 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(jbird @ Apr 23 2008, 07:07 PM) View Post

Great project, Tony. It will be interesting to see how the bedding affects the consistency and accuracy of your rifle. Good luck.

Jay

Thanks man, I stopped in the Gun Runner yesterday and stocked back up on gold medal, might need to order some more, I got the last brick there were like 2/3 of a brick left... I can't wait i'm going to the range early in the am. To simulate morning range conditions and give it a run. I shot 1 clip thru it from a vice today 1 small hole @ 40 yd. no time to re zero my scope. After bedding and fixing the recoil lug falling off problem my scope was way, way, way off. The windage cross hairs were @ about 2 o'clock. I had a friend check my barrel at his work today it is only out .0002 on the outer dia. not bad @ all and my bolt face is perfect now, I used a crush gauge to check it and it was symmetrical as you can get without having it blueprinted. It still loves Federal 711B, and I got the action centered in the stock now with the barrel fully floated (2 biz. cards will fit between the barrel & stock) . I can feel a difference in the way it feels when fired and no more stock popping when you shoot a few rounds and warm it up. I know just the recoil lug falling off had a huge effect , every

#23 Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*

Guest_TONY Q.C.I.S._*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

Well I took the Savage out today and gave it a run @ 100yds,it did ok by me. This is the first time @ 100yd,
after bedding, trigger work, ect. I will be using it on the RAPTOR Saturday and I finally found out a good use for the FIOCCHI Biathlon SM 340 Super Match, it is not impressive on the bench @50yd. but @100yd. my rifle and I like it ALOT.When Fiocchi gave me this stuff and said try this I was less than pleased for a $80 a brick ammo, I thought well I will keep it (it was free) and try it along the way and I finally found out what it's good for. I tried Federal 711b, 714,510,Winchester Suppreme, Aguila, and 2 kinds of ELEY nothing was that great @ 100yd.This stuff is good IMO for long distance, but not much good in any of my other rifles (my Suhl hates it), normally I would use Fed.714b but I

Attached Thumbnails

• 52908.jpg

Edited by TONY Q.C.I.S., 29 May 2008 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users