#1 TerryB

TerryB

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:48 AM

This may be a long shot (no pun intended) but back in the eighties I had a Savage .22LR semi-automatic rifle with tube under barrel holding 15 rounds (it was viewed as being old then), there was no model number on it so I can not quote that. I only relinquished the gun and licence when I left home to work abroad for a few years and I have recently become interested in the sport again and am trying to find out what the model was and if I can find one again. Wonder if any one can help with this quest, I know the description is rather vague but I wonder if someone out there perhaps could throw some light this way with maybe a photo so I can identify the rifle and say "Eureka that is the model".

Your help would be very much appreciated.
TerryB

Edited by TerryB, 15 March 2008 - 02:58 AM.

#2 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

I don't have a lot of info on Savages semi-autos, but the Model 6 was made for about 30 years, starting in 1938. Had a 24" barrel and shot S-L and LR cartridges loaded from a tubular mag. I believe they may have been similar if not identical to the Stevens 87A. Did it have sloted vent cuts in the left side of the receiver?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#3 TerryB

TerryB

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(Carl @ Mar 15 2008, 12:51 PM) View Post

I don't have a lot of info on Savages semi-autos, but the Model 6 was made for about 30 years, starting in 1938. Had a 24" barrel and shot S-L and LR cartridges loaded from a tubular mag. I believe they may have been similar if not identical to the Stevens 87A. Did it have sloted vent cuts in the left side of the receiver?

Carl, Thank you for replying, I am afraid I do not remember if there were any slots in the receiver, but I would recognise it if there was a picture available, in the mean time I will try and find a picture of the Stevens 87A to compare with my memory.!!!
TerryB

#4 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(TerryB @ Mar 16 2008, 07:54 AM) View Post

Carl, Thank you for replying, I am afraid I do not remember if there were any slots in the receiver, but I would recognise it if there was a picture available, in the mean time I will try and find a picture of the Stevens 87A to compare with my memory.!!!
TerryB

Look on Gunbroker.com under Stevens 87A and there are 3 of them with pictures. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#5 TerryB

TerryB

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(221 Fireball @ Mar 16 2008, 01:10 PM) View Post

Look on Gunbroker.com under Stevens 87A and there are 3 of them with pictures. Barry

Barry,
Took a look and I think the Savage I had was quite a bit more intricate than the Stevens, am I heading for disappointment in this search, surely there are some Savage enthusiasts out there who have held onto their older models??.
By the way have just investigated what it would cost to ship one from the States and the paperwork costs alone are $200, that's if I was to find one over there, so I think I will pass on that route of getting one.
Suppose the one I had must still be around the UK somewhere??. So if there are any other leads that can be thrown my way then please let me know.
Thanks again all.
TerryB.

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Here are some great pics of the Savage Model 6:

http://www.auctionar...itemnum=8519857

and a Stevens:

http://www.auctionar...itemnum=8496346

Patrick Henry

#7 TerryB

TerryB

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Carl @ Mar 18 2008, 01:20 AM) View Post

Here are some great pics of the Savage Model 6:

http://www.auctionar...itemnum=8519857

and a Stevens:

http://www.auctionar...itemnum=8496346

Carl,
Thank you for the reply and that is very similar but there is still something not quite right, there was no model number on it and the only number was I presume the serial number of 467 (know this because it is on the old licence). Also the scope mount does not look right, it certainly was not the Stevens type as depicted earlier in the thread either.
Regards,
TerryB.

Edited by TerryB, 20 March 2008 - 01:58 AM.

#8 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

I guess I had it in my head it was an older rifle than it may really have been. Savage and Stevens also had the later models and their derivatives of the model 60. Might find a picture of one on Auction Arms or Gunbroker. Look for the 60, 88 or 90.

Patrick Henry

#9 Mookie

Mookie

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

savage made a newer version of the same rifle, but instead of having a flat back it was tapered. somewhat cone shaped.

http://www.neaca.com..._Feed_22_1_.JPG

something like these?

#10 Tigerbeetle

Tigerbeetle

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

I just bought a (are you ready for this?) a Springfield/Savage Model 87S semiauto this afternoon. It had to have been made in the early 50's or so because it has the dovetail on top of the receiver for scope mount. Also, it has only two (2) gill slits on the left side of the receiver opposite the ejection port. It does have a serial number (8179xxx), which may make it even newer because some firearms weren't even given serial numbers until the GCA of '68.

It has a really funky cheap hardwood stock, but the barrel is very heavy. Fairly long creep on the trigger, but pretty smooth when it does trip. Haven't had a chance to shoot it of course, but looking forward to it. Didn't put much money into it; just something to fix up a little bit for my grand kid's next birthday (7).
TB biggrin.gif
I must correct myself wink.gif . Upon further inspection, I purchased a Spingfield (Savage) 187. The "1" is struck much lighter than the "87" and I didn't even notice it earlier. but things were not adding up on the information I was gleaning on the model, so I just went back to the gun room and checked it out further. Everything else above stands. dry.gif
TB

Edited by Tigerbeetle, 24 July 2008 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users