• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bustabuck

bustabuck

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, target shooting, gun tinkering...the usual stuff.

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

So, am I the only one here with a 77/22? :unsure: A few years ago, I picked up a used all-weather 77/22 for a good price. I had Birdsong coat it with his Black-T coating to kill the glare of the stainless, worked over the trigger to have it break at a nice, crisp 2.5#, and have obtained a factory walnut stock. I like the shadowbox stock, but it just can't compare to real walnut.
Now, I'm in the process of converting it from .22 lr to .22 mag. I've got everything but the barrel and magazine. I'm trying to get by as inexpensively as possible and still have a decent shooter, so I'm waiting on getting a barrel until I can find a deal. I'll probably go with a take-off factory barrel.
Anyway, just thought the Ruger rifle section needed something about a 77/22.

#2 Red

Red

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

They're Great rifles, at least mine is. I'd never convert mine to the magnum cartridge though. I could see buying another already chambered for it.

Posted Image

#3 9x19

9x19

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

At one time, I had one in each caliber (.22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, .22 Hornet, .44 Magnum). They were good rifles and never left me wanting for more accuracy, but I eventually sold them all in favor of my semi-autos (10/22, 10/17, 10/22M, 10/17M, 99/44 and Mini 30).

I just like semi-autos so much better... yes, I know I'm a bit "off". :D

Edited by 9x19, 27 October 2006 - 05:35 PM.

#4 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Well, I have been wanting to try one of these for years. Finally picked one up today. I hope it is a shooter.

Posted Image
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#5 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,530 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

And in the background the dual cassette deck plays the same Mantra all day "Stay Home from Work.......Clean your Guns" :D
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#6 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

Ha Ha.
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#7 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

Well, I have been wanting to try one of these for years. Finally picked one up today. I hope it is a shooter.

Posted Image

Sharp rifle, what calibur do you have it in ?
too

#8 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

Its a .22 LR model.

I decided to mount the T-36 on it for testing. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow.

Posted Image

#9 Brad Clodfelter

Brad Clodfelter

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest target shooting for groups and score. I like to turkey hunt and deer hunt. I also like to fish.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

Danny,

I had a 22Mag Ruger just exactly like that. It would shoot 5 shot groups around .5ctc most of the time at 50yds.

It was a very good rifle.

I wished I still had it.

#10 Jordan F.

Jordan F.

Distinguished Shooter

• Junior Team Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy shooting, fishing, photogrpahy, and nature

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Danny: That 77/22 is very sharp looking :)

I don't own a 77/22, only a 10/22

#11 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Jordan.

Glad to say, "it shoots"!

I ran the Rapid Fire Rimfire Match this morning and then we had a membership renewal session at 1:00 PM. So, I only had about half an hour to test the new Ruger. The upper left hand group was the last one I tried and it was fired with SK Subsonic HPs. It measures .23" ctc.

Posted Image

#12 Brad Clodfelter

Brad Clodfelter

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest target shooting for groups and score. I like to turkey hunt and deer hunt. I also like to fish.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

Danny,

That first group is mind boggling to me for a box stock factory Ruger.

That's what I call getting the most from the gun in my opinion.

You are a very good shooter.

No doubt in my mind.

Brad

#13 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

Thanks Brad. I can't wait to see what it will do on a USBR target (the ultimate test in my opinion). The rifle's weight and flat forearm really help in holding it steady.

#14 Khornet

Khornet

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Bought a 77/22 in early 1989 from the Marine Corps Exchange Camp Lejeune. It had a laminated stock in green-brown camo colors. Shot pretty well. I decided it needed checkering in the grip area, so I took the stock off and put it in the checkering cradle and proceeded to put a nice clean simple point pattern on it. When I reassembled the rifle it wouldn't shoot worth a damn; 1" 50 yard groups are not acceptable for a squirrel rifle in my book.

Now, glass-bedding a 77/22 is a little different from the centerfire rifles I'd done before. What to consider the 'recoil lug' for example. I bedded that thing about four times, changing this and that. Finally I got it to shoot into a half inch with the right ammo, of which I promptly bought a couple of bricks.

But the most interesting lesson from the whole exercise was that these rifles are very sensitive to stock-screw tension. Too much or too little, they shoot poorly.

A most handsome rifle. They have great lines. I put in a Dayton-Traister adjustable trigger after a few years, and I'm happy with it.

Edited by Khornet, 26 January 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#15 cheygriz

cheygriz

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, knives, classical music, ballet, politics, writing, volunteer work.

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

That group looks SWEET!!! :heartpump:

Now, if only they'd offer it black phosphate coated, with a 16 inch barrel, and synthetic side folding stock! :D

#16 Papabear

Papabear

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, fishing and most of all teaching my twin granddauthers to shoot safely and shoot often.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

I've got a 77/17 and I'm thinking of finding a 22mag barrel so I can have a switch barrel gun. Would some day like to get a 77/22.
Papabear

#17 mossback

mossback

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking & backpacking

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

Here's my 77/22. VQ barrel and stock. Shoots 10shot groups in the .3's with Wolf MT at 50 yds.
Posted Image

#18 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

I finally got around to asking Educator if he could do something about the 5.5 lb trigger on my 77/22. It now has a sweet 2.5 lb pull. Thanks Dwight.

Can't wait to see how it does on paper next weekend.

The rifle simply shot too well to deserve that heavy a pull.

#19 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

Nope, you're not the only one. I have three, and about 9 additional barrels to go with them (everything from .22Short on up). Great rifles, but absolutely crap triggers from the factory...

#20 Red

Red

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

They're Great rifles, at least mine is. I'd never convert mine to the magnum cartridge though. I could see buying another already chambered for it.

just searching around and found this old thread. LOL ~ Never say Never :lol:

#21 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

Well, the accuracy is about the same. But, it sure is easier to shoot with that lighter trigger.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users