10 replies to this topic

#1 softreset

softreset

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

I purchased a gently (if hardly much) used 540XR from my local range safety officer today and it's a real beauty. It's going to be great "welcome to position shooting" rifle that my girlfriend and I can with together.

I had a few questions for the Remington community however before I started tackling the rifle.

1.) The bolt looks like it could use a disassembly and cleaning. However I really don't know where to begin on proper disassembly. I was unable to locate a walk-thru, FAQ or resource that specifically discussed this on the 'net.

1a.) Follow up, are there any guides/manuals/etc for total rifle disassembly out there?

2.) It came with a nice aperture site set but only a single, very tiny front insert. Not ideally for 50 yard shooting on an A/23 target. I've attached a photo of the front globe that came with the rifle but I'd love some insight on what it is (who made it) as it's unmarked. It sounds like this rifle came with a Lyman 93 front globe. I've enclosed a photo and happy to take more if necessary:

Posted Image

If that is the correct front globe then it looks like I can buy additional inserts from the manufacturer -

http://www.lymanprod.../20-inserts.php

3.) I don't have access to a caliper but I suspect acquiring a decent one is in my near future. In the mean time, however I'm curious about the following:

- The front dovetail mount appears to be removable but appears too wide for my BRNO front globe (as an interim solution) from my CZ. Furthermore my Anschutz requires significant force to get it started on the rail and given the value of the globe I'm not thrilled about taping it with a mallet to get it to go all the way. Should it fit just fine? My understanding is that it's a 'standard' dovetail mount.

- The accessory rail on the stock, does not appear to be Anschutz friendly as my Anschutz bipod doesn't slide in. Normally I'd assume it's a Freeland rail, especially consider it's a US manufactured rifle. However, as I discovered with my CZ's Klinsky stock not all rails are created. The rail on that stock fits neither Anschutz or Freeland accessories without modification.

4.) My NPA doesn't line up perfectly off hand with the current sight configuration so I was going to explore some risers which would require some reconfiguration of the sights on the rifle. It would appear that the receiver is grooved but was wondering if anyone has tried mounting a rail on the receiver and then a more traditional aperture sight set and how well it worked for them.

Thanks in advance for your response(s)!

#2 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Softreset...First welcome to the greatest rimfire forum around..Lots of folks here with a vast knowledge to glean info from..Congrats on your new "toy" may it be one of many more...I have found parts and owners manuals for many rifles can be found at Steves pages..Just type in stevespages and it will show several entries to chose from..If he doesn't have the exact manual you need we have many Remington collectors here that can more than likely help you with any question you may have..Some of our collectors will probably have additional web pages for your research to give you a hand...Come on in..the water is fine.....Dave
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,442 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

First off, congratulations on the 540-XR. Should be a fine shooting rifle for you.

According to the Remington parts breakdown, the front should be a Redfield #63, but your picture looks just like a Lyman 17a. rear should be a Redfield 75. Looks like you need to find a measuring devise of some kind to be certain of the inserts. I don't have the dimensions handy for either, but as I recall, the Lymans are slightly under 1/2" (about .470" or close) and the Redfields are just over 1/2" (I think .550"). The Lymans have the locating tabs at 180 degrees from each other and the Redfields are slightly above center. If you can get a measurement, Brownell's tech service (not sales) may be able to help ID it.

Bolt breakdown is simple in theory, but tricky in it's execution. If you are familiar with most bolt action centerfire bolts, it should be easy, as it takes down much like a centerfire: Grip the "underlug" of the striker head (the shiney thing that slides up the cocking ramp) on a sharp hard edge, like a vice jaw or edge of a steel bench. Be sure to hold it firmly as it will try to slip. Push forward on the end cap of the bolt and unscrew the front part of the bolt. After a few turns the lug will no longer contact the notch of the cocking ramp and it's easy from there to unscrew it, but it's still under spring tension so be careful. Separate the front two halves by drifting out the small cross pin. if you are taking the extractors out, take a small screwdriver and carefully pry the "C" clip off (just pry it enough to slip off because if you get too rough, these have a tendency to break). The extractors slip out and the firing pin can also be removed. You might try a good soak with Kroil and blow it out with brake or carb cleaner and relube with a light oil first and maybe you don't need to take it apart.

I don't know about accessories for the rail or what size it is.

Good luck with the "new" rifle.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Congrats on the 540-XR. (I have a 540-X in my collection)

In answer to question #3, you may have difficulty in using accouterments designed for Anschutz on your Remington. Anschutz, being European is dimensioned in metric, (aklthough British Parker Hale is in inch) while Remington is in English (inch).

For your 2nd question, Lyman 17 and 77 series globe sight inserts are 0.475 inch outer diameter (OD), Redfield 60 series are 0.550 inch, Redfield Olympic are 0.700 inch, and Redfield International are 0.775 inch. Anschutz falls between the Redfield 60 series and Olympic at 0.625 inch(16mm).

Planeflyr
Corey

"Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality"
-Dustin Hoffman

Those who do not remember the Pasta are condemned to Reheat it.
-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

-wish I knew who to attribute this quote to

#5 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,461 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Welcome to the forum softreset. Lots of good folks and interesting topics. I see help has already arrived for your questions. Hope it answered all.

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#6 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I purchased a gently (if hardly much) used 540XR from my local range safety officer today and it's a real beauty. It's going to be great "welcome to position shooting" rifle that my girlfriend and I can with together.

I had a few questions for the Remington community however before I started tackling the rifle.

1.) The bolt looks like it could use a disassembly and cleaning. However I really don't know where to begin on proper disassembly. I was unable to locate a walk-thru, FAQ or resource that specifically discussed this on the 'net.

1a.) Follow up, are there any guides/manuals/etc for total rifle disassembly out there?

2.) It came with a nice aperture site set but only a single, very tiny front insert. Not ideally for 50 yard shooting on an A/23 target. I've attached a photo of the front globe that came with the rifle but I'd love some insight on what it is (who made it) as it's unmarked. It sounds like this rifle came with a Lyman 93 front globe. I've enclosed a photo and happy to take more if necessary:

Posted Image

If that is the correct front globe then it looks like I can buy additional inserts from the manufacturer -

http://www.lymanprod.../20-inserts.php

3.) I don't have access to a caliper but I suspect acquiring a decent one is in my near future. In the mean time, however I'm curious about the following:

- The front dovetail mount appears to be removable but appears too wide for my BRNO front globe (as an interim solution) from my CZ. Furthermore my Anschutz requires significant force to get it started on the rail and given the value of the globe I'm not thrilled about taping it with a mallet to get it to go all the way. Should it fit just fine? My understanding is that it's a 'standard' dovetail mount.

- The accessory rail on the stock, does not appear to be Anschutz friendly as my Anschutz bipod doesn't slide in. Normally I'd assume it's a Freeland rail, especially consider it's a US manufactured rifle. However, as I discovered with my CZ's Klinsky stock not all rails are created. The rail on that stock fits neither Anschutz or Freeland accessories without modification.

4.) My NPA doesn't line up perfectly off hand with the current sight configuration so I was going to explore some risers which would require some reconfiguration of the sights on the rifle. It would appear that the receiver is grooved but was wondering if anyone has tried mounting a rail on the receiver and then a more traditional aperture sight set and how well it worked for them.

Thanks in advance for your response(s)!

You might want to check with Lee Shaver for inserts as well-he makes his own and they are very fine. I'm pretty sure he has them in the lyman 17 size and I think the .550 size too. He is a very nice person to work with.. He would probsably know at a glance what kind of globe sight that is

#7 softreset

softreset

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

dbp1stltarllery,

Thanks for the invite. I'm a regular over at RFC having joined the CZ crowd but I saw that the Remington crowd over here looked to be top notch. I took it out to the range today and was extremely pleased with how well it handled at 50 yards, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to have many happy years enjoying the timeless American craftsmanship offered in my hands.

Good tip on the Steve's pages. I wasn't able to find exactly what I was looking for but the Google search got me pointed in the right direction to get an exploded view so I know what goes where during my re-assembly.

I appreciate the welcome!

Carl,

I'm off to get a micrometer today as for the cost of obtaining one it's probably time, this isn't the first time that I've gone to do a project or something and regretted not having one (or something like it).

You make a great point about the c-clips, I'm deathly afraid of working them. I was a field tech for a paintball marker (almost 6 years) and one of the pressure valve assemblies had one that held the guts in place. I can't tell you how many times I'd break them with the gentlest of force, whereas other ones required titan-like strength to move and never flinched.

Sadly my hubris got the best of me already as I ham handed the loading plate. Not realizing it was threaded plastic I worked the guide screw too fast and stripped it clean off the part. The good news, I'm done shooting for today. The bad news, it's free floating at the bottom of the breech/chamber area when the bolt is racked back. I do see that there are a few places that have them listed as available so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to get one sent out my way. Sadly it's not a cheap part (almost 10% of what I paid for the rifle). But I'll chalk that up to user error and in hindsight it was probably bound to happen sooner rather than later anyway. Hopefully these replacement parts are not also plastic otherwise I might just buy two.

All that being said, I like your idea about the Kroil soak and purge with brake cleaner. It doesn't look THAT bad, most of the gunk was in the chamber/throat area and I got that all cleaned out and looking spotless. I think I'll leave the bolt alone, I'd be afraid that I'll muck with it too much and I suspect finding replacement c-clips and or bolt components will probably be very difficult.

Planeflyr,

Good point on the rail, it seems unlikely that Remington in the 70s would have used the metric/Anschutz rail size. I suspect it's Freeland then. The rifle came with two nice looking handstops so that'll be enough to get me by for right now.

I suspect it's a Lyman 17/77 series, because they're SUPER tiny. I have the Anschutz ones and they're noticeably larger. I may ultimately just mount a spare adjustable front iris on the dovetail, I'm not in love with the front globe. Just hate to pour hundreds of dollars into a $400 rifle just because I'm comfortable with those other accessories.

Walt,

Indeed, I'm shocked by the quick, prompt and thorough responses so far. I'm well on my way to getting things sorted out.

Rim Noob,

I've heard of Lee Shaver. I was unaware he offered gunsmithing accessories and other parts. I most definitely shall drop him a note with photos for product identification. Thanks for that tip, my previous go-to guy for front apertures doesn't appear to make them anymore (Ray McDougall from Slimline).

#8 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,367 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Enjoy the 540XR softreset. It should be a good rifle to get you started into smallbore/position shooting. I've been using my customized 541X for our smallbore (anysight) league and have a Kimber 82G for iron sight shoots. I've always thought a 540XR would've been a good choice for me too. I've actually thought about looking for a 540XR stock to put my 541 barreled action into but hopefully I'll be upgrading my rifle and won't need it soon.

I agree with planeflyr that your 540XR should have the Freeland sized rail. The link below should give you some measurements to check for sure.

http://www.champions...d=74&Itemid=111

Welcome to Rimfire Shooting!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#9 softreset

softreset

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Enjoy the 540XR softreset. It should be a good rifle to get you started into smallbore/position shooting. I've been using my customized 541X for our smallbore (anysight) league and have a Kimber 82G for iron sight shoots. I've always thought a 540XR would've been a good choice for me too. I've actually thought about looking for a 540XR stock to put my 541 barreled action into but hopefully I'll be upgrading my rifle and won't need it soon.

Thanks, Patrick. It's sort of a funny story. I went from a 10/22 to a CZ 452 UL to an Anschutz 1907/1918 in a little over a year and unfortunately mid-fall last year I realized that I had invested so much money into equipment that I had completely neglected any really solid fundamentals. Though in fairness to "equipment isn't everything" that Anschutz improved my score dramatically with no personal talent improvements just due to ease of adjustment and adjustment options.

So the 540XR is my "let's learn to shoot 3P" rifle that my girlfriend and will hopefully share. Then when the fundamentals are a bit more solid we've got the equipment ready to take us to that next level.

#10 softreset

softreset

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

You might want to check with Lee Shaver for inserts as well-he makes his own and they are very fine. I'm pretty sure he has them in the lyman 17 size and I think the .550 size too. He is a very nice person to work with.. He would probsably know at a glance what kind of globe sight that is

Rim, great tip on Lee Shaver. I sent him an email and he responded first this morning. He believes it's a 60 series Redfield globe based on the more detailed up close photos I supplied him. So now I know what inserts to buy from his web store. Thanks for directing me his way.

#11 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Rim, great tip on Lee Shaver. I sent him an email and he responded first this morning. He believes it's a 60 series Redfield globe based on the more detailed up close photos I supplied him. So now I know what inserts to buy from his web store. Thanks for directing me his way.

Great! Hope they work out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users