• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

A little German 'garden gun' has come across my path and I would like to consider getting it, but it is chambered in .22 CB caps. Is this ammo normally available (I mean when ammo overall is normally avalable)? Or can a gun be rechambered somehow to shoot a different case length?

#2 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,044 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Seems to me they are the same length as a short. I'm pretty sure I've shot these in my Marlin 39M. They're so quiet you can hear the hammer impact.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#3 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Seems to me they are the same length as a short. I'm pretty sure I've shot these in my Marlin 39M. They're so quiet you can hear the hammer impact.

I don't know. Wikipedia actually has a page on these and the photo they show indicates a casing even shorter than a short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

#4 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

They are made in both short and long rifle. I have both in my ammo inventory, CCI. Had some by Rem. Before the drought were readily available. And as cp stated, almost silent.

MMM

#5 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

OK, I made a mistake, didn't pick up on the "cap" part, just the CB. I have CB shorts, not caps.

Sorry 'bout that.

MMM

#6 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

After looking at that picture, I must have had some variant of CB Cap ammo from CCI because that would have never cycled through my gun. At one time, CCI made CB Longs which had the same length case as a LR but the power of a CB Cap so they would feed well and not leave a ring.

edit: Like MMM said, I must have had CB shorts, too.

Edited by cp1969, 17 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#7 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

After looking at that picture, I must have had some variant of CB Cap ammo from CCI because that would have never cycled through my gun. At one time, CCI made CB Longs which had the same length case as a LR but the power of a CB Cap so they would feed well and not leave a ring.

edit: Like MMM said, I must have had CB shorts, too.

Do you know if a gun could be rechambered to shorts?

#8 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I wouldn't see why not. The chamber is 'plus material' right now. The problem would be trying to go the other way, i.e., re-chamber a .22 Short gun to .22 CB Cap.

edit: BUT!.....Is this gun a repeater? If so, it probably won't work with shorts due to the difference in length.

Edited by cp1969, 17 February 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#9 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

J&G Sales has them in stock as of 11:25 17 Feb. Pricy little guys. Listed under "other" in their rimfire section. In the details states they are for smoothbores, which is what I understood the term "garden gun" to indicate.

Have fun.

MMM

#10 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

I wouldn't see why not. The chamber is 'plus material' right now. The problem would be trying to go the other way, i.e., re-chamber a .22 Short gun to .22 CB Cap.

edit: BUT!.....Is this gun a repeater? If so, it probably won't work with shorts due to the difference in length.

It is a single shot, but MMM raises a more important question "...is is smoothbore.." It is called a 'rifle' in the listing but I should really verify it.

#11 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

It is a single shot, but MMM raises a more important question "...is is smoothbore.." It is called a 'rifle' in the listing but I should really verify it.

Wouldn't do you much good having it re chambered if it is a smooth bore.
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#12 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

If It didn't have cloectable value and was cheap enough, it would be worthwhile chambering in long rifle so you could shoot shotshells. Like MoSkeeTo used to be. That was fun in the 70s. The CCI rounds that look like they have Contact capsule in the end are way pricy, but Winchester was still making the crimped ones that were reasonable. Would be useful on carpenter bees.

MMM

#13 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,452 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

If It didn't have cloectable value and was cheap enough, it would be worthwhile chambering in long rifle so you could shoot shotshells. Like MoSkeeTo used to be. That was fun in the 70s. The CCI rounds that look like they have Contact capsule in the end are way pricy, but Winchester was still making the crimped ones that were reasonable. Would be useful on carpenter bees.

MMM

MMM I use my 'don't shoot your eye out" Daisy Red Ryder and try to hit them while the are hoovering around..Those suckers can eat through a board in no time..Lost a good saw horse to them last year..Built the next one out of pressure treated wood..they loved it...Might have to undercoat this one..Dave

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

There is no fine print in a mans word.. or his handshake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users