6 replies to this topic

#1 tarheeler

tarheeler

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thinking about buying this rifle, but have questions. Know that it used Unertl style scope, but this 1 has D&T base mounting holes in both front and rear of receiver, along with mounting holes in barrel. Barrel marked X along with DOD stamping on stock. It is not marked Savage 416T. Comes with correct front and rear sights. What's up

#2 graycrait

graycrait

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I realize this is a Ranger (rebadeged 416 with minor differences) I am picking up tomorrow, circa '47/'48, but is the 416 your looking at set up like this one?

Posted Image

Here is a thread that may shed some light on "your" 416.

http://www.milsurps....ead.php?t=21843

Edited by graycrait, 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#3 tarheeler

tarheeler

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes, with the exception of 2 holes in front part of rec. How bad does this hurt value? Know it kills Rem 37's and Win 52's values

#4 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

My brother paid $400 for a 416 with that scope mount and sight set up recently.It lacks the DOD markings.The rear sight was worn to the point of being sloppy.He bought bases from Brownell's that fit the existing screw holes and accommodate Weaver style rings.He mounted a vintage Weaver K10 w/AO.A very accurate combo.It's the rifle he used to shoot cleanly through the hole in the Lifesaver candy I posted of a little while back.He is very well pleased with the rifles' performance.

#5 Rim Noob

Rim Noob

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Day-to-day life is interesting enough. Sure like this rifle collecting and shooting.I have a wife and I have a 24/7 dog companion and a lot of time to devote to both.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

My brother paid $400 for a 416 with that scope mount and sight set up recently.It lacks the DOD markings.The rear sight was worn to the point of being sloppy.He bought bases from Brownell's that fit the existing screw holes and accommodate Weaver style rings.He mounted a vintage Weaver K10 w/AO.A very accurate combo.It's the rifle he used to shoot cleanly through the hole in the Lifesaver candy I posted of a little while back.He is very well pleased with the rifles' performance.

What would a government marked one be worth?

#6 planeflyr

planeflyr

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Collecting, Target and Silhouette shooting, restoring vintage stereo equipment - and of course - Flying

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

The "Ranger" was a "Brand" name used by Sears for a large number of different rifles they OEM'd and marketed (kind of like Kenmore for appliances). The 416 was a Stevens rather than a Savage, but
later became Savage-Stevens-Springfield adding to the confusion.

First of all, this is a very good rifle. The Stevens 416 was purchased in the 1940's as a Military training rifle as illustrated in Army Technical Manual TM 9-280. Of course, those with a military heritage
command a higher price since they are marked "US PROPERTY". It is good that the rifle pictured has the correct rear micrometer sight. These are extremely hard to find by themselves. What front sight does the rifle have? Is it the "tombstone" front sight? If so, inserts for these are also difficult to find, but still proper.

If you have 2 sets of holes in the barrel approx. 7 inches apart, these would be for the mounting blocks for a Unertl, Lyman, Fecker, etc. scope. The Army did not use scopes for general training, excepting for snipers. The holes drilled into the receiver may have been gunsmithed later depending on when the rifle was manufactured. (short, receiver mounted scopes did not begin to come into vogue until the late 1950's. "Long" scopes were the norm.

The stock may be a replacement by someone who wanted to create an ersatz military 416. I've never encountered one marked DoD as in WWII we still had the Department of War.

If the price is right, then buy it. You'll thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

Good luck.

Planeflyr
Corey

"Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality"
-Dustin Hoffman

Those who do not remember the Pasta are condemned to Reheat it.
-Mama Leone

Arguing with an elite liberal is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  Both get dirty...  and the pig loves it.

-wish I knew who to attribute this quote to

#7 tarheeler

tarheeler

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Looking over rifle now, it has scope mount holes on left side of rec. Holes on top of rec both front and rear of chamber. Barrel marked Stevens X in circle barrel. Has globe front sight , probably Lyman or Redfield, not marked. Mag release looks like a repair was done (brazed). Circle cannons on stock. Not sure if DoD or DoW. Correct rear sight for sure. Going rate, bluing 85% trigger guard looks flat finish( parked)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users