• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I had been wanting a "food saver" for some time, well today while shopping at Sams Club I purchased one. I had no idea how great they worked. I learned a lesson from a buddy's house fire that anything not sealed even if it looked fine and the boxes were untouched were still ruined. I started tonight vacuum packing some CCI SV I recently got in. You cut the bags to any size you need and then it draws an incredible vacuum and seals whatever you put in there. The bags are really thick and robust (think freezer bag X2)

I decided to do two bricks at a time, under normal conditions this is about a months shooting for me , I was able to repack the sealed ammo back in the original cardboard cases it came in and re-tape it . If you look close the vacuum is so great it actually forces the box to slightly cave in on it's self.... these should be fine for some time to come. This puppy was not cheap, but given sealing up ammo and even occasionally food it was $150 well spent.

Posted Image
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#2 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,388 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Great idea Dwight...I didn't go the route of the food saver...Instead I bought one of the cheapie hand held models that you buy pre-sized bags...quart, half gallon, etc., Only cost about $12 and is battery operated...Bags made for the model are a little high in my opinion but they have come out with some generic bags that are a whole lot cheaper. I use mine to take advantage of the "family size" price discounts on various meats and just divide it up into meal size for Joe and me..We also use it to seal loose bulk ammo into handy amounts and all those non descript 22's laying around to be used for tin cans or steel plate shooting. As we all know brass is going to corrode over time due to moisture and by doing this that problem is completely eliminated. The one good thing about the pre-sized bags we use is that they can be re-sealed....Thanks for bringing the preservation of our ammo to light..For in the ground storage though :rolleyes: I would double seal....Dave

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 27 January 2013 - 05:13 AM.

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#3 twoxover

twoxover

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

i have two food savers...a big one and a little one. i'm not sure i want the hubby to see this topic. i have a feeling one might go missing....

#4 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,548 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I also have one that you can buy either pre-sized bags or the cut your own size. Just never thought about sealing ammo.

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#5 Raven

Raven

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Woodturning, Reading, Animals, Nature

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hmmm...good idea. Right now I have all of mine in the safe (with a dehumidifier), but I don't think that will work very well over time since I open the safe fairly often. I seem to have more trouble with shotgun shells corroding than I do wit other ammo.

#6 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,978 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I keep mine in military ammo boxes.

#7 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,377 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I keep mine in military ammo boxes.

Me too!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#8 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,729 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

AND, the way things are headed these days, you may want to bury your ammo and this looks like it will help if things go in that direction. Get some 4" or bigger PVC pipe, put your sealed up ammo in it, cap and seal it... should be safe for years.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#9 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,530 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Me too!

You should still seal it in this before you put it in the ammo box, trust me Jim had some stuff in GI Ammo Boxes that was ruined as well
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

#10 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Vac-packing works well, as will any truly airtight container.
Always place a dessicant into the storage pack to pull moisture away
from the primer, powder and metals. You'd be surprised how much
moisture is found in the cardboard packaging the ammunition is sold in.
I drop a silica gel packet or two into my canisters to deal with hidden moisture.
I like the new silica gel packs that change colors as their level of effectiveness drops.
jaia...just another interested amateur

#11 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Just a thought. Does anybody know what effect being in a prolonged vacuum enviroment would have on the powder? Are there any volitiles that could be drawn out? Sure wish I was a chemist at times.

MMM

#12 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

JimW where are you

#13 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Just a thought. Does anybody know what effect being in a prolonged vacuum enviroment would have on the powder? Are there any volitiles that could be drawn out? Sure wish I was a chemist at times.

MMM

Good question. Hopefully, the ammo is sealed tight enough (around the bullet and primer) that the powder won't BE at reduced pressure and therefore outgassing. These types of vacuum sealers don't really pull all that hard of a vacuum. I would be surprised if they reduce pressure more than a few inches of mercury.

Generally, the way to protect metal parts is to pull a good (< 1 Torr range) vacuum, then back fill with an inert gas such as nitrogen or argon. Repeat that two or three times and you'll be in pretty good shape. Otherwise, it's very hard to get water vapor out; it's the last thing to leave.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#14 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,548 posts
    gardening.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Vac-packing works well, as will any truly airtight container.
Always place a dessicant into the storage pack to pull moisture away
from the primer, powder and metals. You'd be surprised how much
moisture is found in the cardboard packaging the ammunition is sold in.
I drop a silica gel packet or two into my canisters to deal with hidden moisture.
I like the new silica gel packs that change colors as their level of effectiveness drops.

Where do you get your gel packs Jaia?
Walt Miller

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#15 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 912 posts
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I order from Amazon.com

or direct from: http://www.silicagel...ca-gel-packets/

#16 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,548 posts
    gardening.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Jaia, I've been thinking of getting some to throw in the gun cases.

Walt
Walt Miller

#17 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

If you pull vacuum after a fairly short time, the inside of the bullet casing will be at a vacuum also. They are not sealed that well. The volitiles in powder are only there as carriers from the crystallization step. They are dried as well as they can be on a fast production line. So the makers are trying to remove them even before they are put into our bullets. I would not worry about them at all. The performance is from the solid parts of the powder not the volitiles. As for removal of water, yes it will likely be one of the last to leave. 3 cycle vacuum / purge with Nitrogen is a proven performer and should get the moisture levels down to the very low PPM levels.

The other thing this method does is gives you a quick answer to the question about whether the ammo has had any contamination by air or water. Once the seal is broken, it is obvious from a simple glance at the package that the vacuum is lost. If you check on it monthly, and see a bag not tight with some air in it, a simple replacement can be made. It is very obvious just by looking. This should make our ammo good almost indefinitely. Only thing left to protect against is prolonged heat.

Edited by LongPlay, 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#18 MarlinMountyMan

MarlinMountyMan

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:refurbishing abused weapons systems. Designing specialized tooling. Reducing the spotted paper plate population.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

As usual, the good folks here come through. Never though about backfilling with N2. If it is good enough for scopes it's got to be good for ammo. And it is cheap, too. Argon not so much.

The hardest vacuum I worked with was only down to 1 micron, just a fore pump, no vapor pump.

(MICRON? Shows you how old I am. Always though a Torr had something to do with bulls and matadors)

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Good shooting.

MMM

#19 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 912 posts
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Had to run to the pet store to pick up a bag of food for my hounds.
Standing in line at the counter, waiting to pay, noticed a bag of cat litter
on sale. What got my attention was the contents, pure SiO2, silicon dioxide
or as it's also known, silica gel. 4 lbs of silica gel for $14. That's enough
to keep about 128 cubic feet of bulk ammo dry, cheaply.

Edited by jaia, 17 February 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#20 Raven

Raven

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Woodturning, Reading, Animals, Nature

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

That silica cat litter is what I have used in my tool drawer for about 10 years to keep tools from rusting. Put it in an old piece of stocking. But...if you don't have some sort of reasonably closed container, all it does is draw moisture from the room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users