• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

I like many of us have many leather holsters, gun belts, rifle slings all made of leather..Living here in the south or as some do near the oceans or gulf have a particular problem with mold due to the humidity. I use saddle soap to keep my leather goods supple and prevent drying out..However, I have a devil of a problem with mold, which by the way is dangerous if inhaled
Does anyone have, or know of a product or a solution that can be applied or worked in to eliminate the mold problem. Thanks Dave
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#2 Magical

Magical

Distinguished Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have noticed the lub on SK ammo smells very similar to old military surplus stuff years ago. I never did see any mold on any of the surplus stuff.
I think a main ingredient in the lub is Bees wax.
So I might suggest you mix up something with Bees wax that would make it easy to work into the leather.

I did not see any other replies so hope this helps.

Magical

#3 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,371 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Magical, thanks. If someone doesn't have a magic elixir that is proven I had thought about using bees wax. I was hoping there was something that would do the job in a single step, instead of..saddle soap, then bees wax, then buffing.. Thanks buddy, hope somebody may have a solution or maybe an ole family recipe. Hope your 4th was enjoyable..Dave
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#4 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have noticed the lub on SK ammo smells very similar to old military surplus stuff years ago. I never did see any mold on any of the surplus stuff.
I think a main ingredient in the lub is Bees wax.
So I might suggest you mix up something with Bees wax that would make it easy to work into the leather.

I did not see any other replies so hope this helps.

Magical

Come to think of it..cosmoline is nothing but bees wax and a petroleum product..I would hesitate to use a petro base though. Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#5 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,542 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I would think if you had a mold problem you would have a rust problem also. We get plenty of moisture in the winter and most of the guys up here have a dehumidifier in the rooms that they keep there guns in.
Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#6 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

I read somewhere that a mild spray of vinegar

http://www.ehow.com/...ld-mildew_.html
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#7 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,542 posts
    gardening.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

I read somewhere that a mild spray of vinegar

http://www.ehow.com/...ld-mildew_.html

Thanks Dwight that was a interesting read.

Walt
Walt Miller

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#8 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Dwight. I'll give it a try..Beats having to buy food sealing system and encapsulating everything....Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#9 Old Coach

Old Coach

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Have you tried the product "Ballistol"? It works well on leather but not sure if it would prevent mold. Worth a try since the product can also be used on your guns.

#10 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,698 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Armorall make a couple leather protector products.... don't know much about them except you don't want to use them on a leather steering wheel... wife used them on her Continental steering wheel when she had that car and man was it slippery. Then she read the instructions :unsure: !
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#11 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

I have enjoyed good results with Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing.They offer other products but the leather dressing is the only one I have tried.I use it on boots,belts,holsters,slings,watch bands,all sorts of leather goods except suede.A four ounce jar goes a long way.
http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

#12 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have enjoyed good results with Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing.They offer other products but the leather dressing is the only one I have tried.I use it on boots,belts,holsters,slings,watch bands,all sorts of leather goods except suede.A four ounce jar goes a long way.
http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

Kizo, thanks. According to their product description it will prevent mildew and also keep it supple...With all the leather holsters, slings, belts etc., around here I will probably need 2 of the tins.. Thanks so much....Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#13 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

You are very welcome.In my use it does keep the leather supple,and will restore suppleness.(Is that a word?) It does not soften the leather as an oil will.Thus the item treated maintains its integrity.Important with holsters especially,and to boots also.
Awhile back I sent a five year old pair of Red Wing 402's to Red Wing for reconditioning.Their work was excellent and saved me $200+ compared to buying a new pair.However the leather on the refurbished boots was dry and hard,almost brittle.I assume some chemical in the factory cleaning process caused it.Two treatments of MPB Leather Dressing a week apart brought the leather back to near new condition.I am completely sold on the product and can not think of a single negative thing to say about it.Even the jar that it comes in is Made in the USA!

#14 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,542 posts
    gardening.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Even the jar that it comes in is Made in the USA! :tumbs:
Walt Miller

#15 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

WHich did you guys go with the tin paste or the bottle of liquid...I need some of this stuff as well.
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#16 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I use the paste called "Leather Dressing". The jar is actually made of plastic.

#17 twoxover

twoxover

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

for mold...
the best solution is to first use a solution of bleach and water to wipe down the leather. then, use a good leather cleaner. lexol is a tried and true cleaner, as is any brand of glycerine or saddle soap. you wipe on, then wipe off. if the leather is stiff...use something like neatsfoot oil. this can either be brushed on and then rubbed in, or applied with a rag and rubbed in. you let sit for several oil and then wipe off the excess.

if you have something that is SUPER stiff..ie from age, or non use....i'll give you what we horsepeople do. put the item in a ziplock bag, fill up with neatsfoot oil and squish around. let it sit in the sun (no, i'm not kidding). for like a day. when you take it out, you will have to spend hours wiping it down. (we do this with new reins...you soak them in neatsfoot in the sun for the day, take out, and strap it around a fence post and run it back and forth to condition the fibers and get them drapey). you should be aware this WILL darken the leather.

to store...long term storage you can rub in wax...but i have not seen anyone do this in a looooooong time and if your leather goods have been carved and/or stamped...it's a pain. what i do is buy some warm and natural batting (100% cottong batting quilters use) and wrap in that.

the best way to keep leather from mold is to use it.

Betsey

#18 Kizo

Kizo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Off topic as we are discussing old holsters.But thought this might be of interest to those breaking in a new holster.
http://www.brommelan...er.com/care.htm

#19 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,542 posts
    gardening.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

Off topic as we are discussing old holsters.But thought this might be of interest to those breaking in a new holster.
http://www.brommelan...er.com/care.htm

Thanks Kizo, that was a interesting read.
Walt
Walt Miller

#20 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have some holster questions.

I have a Bianchi #1 Lawman that I bought for a 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk. But it is now a 5 1/2" barrel. I entertained the notion of taking the bandsaw to the holster but it seems the stitching would come loose and unravel. The bandsaw was 'my way.' What would be the correct way to shorten that holster? It has to be fairly inexpensive because (see next paragraph).

Has anybody got any experience with Lobo Gun Leather holsters? They look to me like good holsters and reasonably priced, too. In fact, they're about the same price as a Hunter holster, which, in my salad days, was the benchmark for cheap. http://lobogunleather.com/
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#21 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have some holster questions.

I have a Bianchi #1 Lawman that I bought for a 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk. But it is now a 5 1/2" barrel. I entertained the notion of taking the bandsaw to the holster but it seems the stitching would come loose and unravel. The bandsaw was 'my way.' What would be the correct way to shorten that holster? It has to be fairly inexpensive because (see next paragraph).

Has anybody got any experience with Lobo Gun Leather holsters? They look to me like good holsters and reasonably priced, too. In fact, they're about the same price as a Hunter holster, which, in my salad days, was the benchmark for cheap. http://lobogunleather.com/

Charles, just a thought..My local gun store/pawn shop usually has oodles of holsters just laying around in boxes that were not "nice" enough to display with the guns that came in with them..Usually they will just about give you a holster...That is how my holster for my Buck Mark Hunter came about...Free and fit perfectly...Wasn't leather but at that price with an extra mag pouch sewn in.....so what..Dave

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

#22 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,963 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I picked up a like-new Don Hume holster for my Colt 1911 at a flea market for $5. At the time, they didn't know what gun it was for and I didn't either but guessed that it might work for my S&W M15. Talk about being wrong. But I had a 1911 that needed a holster, too, so I got lucky. It's the best holster I own and I paid the least for it.

You're right. I need to check around for used holsters first.

Edited by cp1969, 25 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users