#1 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Family, Horses, Handguns

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I have shoot weapons all my life. I have been reading wear S&W uses CCI standard velocity in the S&W model 41 at the factory. Well I have heard nothing but bad things about waxed rounds ( especially Remington). I bought 400 rounds oof the CCI SV Friday. Took it to the range the last two day's. My shots were never consistant, all over the place. Get the Red Dot sighted in then the next thing I know the shots are all over the place again. The wax gums up the weapon and it is a filthy ammo. Just my opinion and observation, but will never buy it again. The last 1000 rounds I just loaded and shot them into the ground to get rid of them. I will buy Federal from now on. Is there a nice Standard Velocity round that some of you can recommend that is not waxed and preferably copper coated?
Thanks for letting me vent, I had to go out of my way to find the CCI and cost me $10.. extra dollars for 150 rounds less than I am used to.
Edit/Delete Message
Aim Small, Miss Small

#2 Bartman

Bartman

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Turkey Hunting , , Boating , Harleys, shooting
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

Most everyone I know shoots cci sv. with good results. In the match's also. federal 510 shoots about as good. Try it. Then its up so some expensive stuff. sk. lapua . eley . But they will really shoot with them

#3 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

I may try the 1230 fps CCI copper plated round nose
Aim Small, Miss Small

#4 Thomas A.

Thomas A.

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

We had this talk at the range this weekend.

I was told the same about S&W and CCI SV.

He told me thats why he runs it in his 41 on 2nd sat. in the 25/25 Pistol match.

TA

Edited by Thomas A., 30 October 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#5 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,490 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Sorry you had such problems with that CCI SV, I would have happily bought that ammo from you. I shoot CCI SV in my 41's, my 10-22, CZ's, Winchester's, Biathlon rifle everything...it is my go to ammo for all around general shooting. No 22LR is copper plated, it is copper washed with the copper on the outside covering a dry lubricant. As for copper rounds I have always had good luck with Mini Mags. Can I ask what gun you were shooting this in ?
Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#6 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,627 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

Most people I have heard of shooting CCI Standard Velocity have had good success with it for the price. It may not be as good as most of the medium to high priced target ammo, but for the money it generally does pretty good. It does well in all the rifles and pistols I have tried it in and in some it has performed better than Wolf MT or ME. Any wax coated ammo is going to eventually gum up things inside a gun, especially a semi-auto, but it's something you live with to gain the accuracy. It should not cause a problem for a few hundred rounds. If you were shooting a sem-auto, I bet yours was gummed up real good by the end of that 1000 rounds :unsure: .
BTW, I kind of understood you were shooting a S&W 41, but you did not exactly specify that.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#7 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 3,965 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Your results are unusual. Check it out. These are our local pistol match results, month, after month, after month. I list the handgun type and ammo used for each competitor.

http://rimfireshooti...hp?showforum=70
Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#8 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

I have had very good targets with Federal Bulk ammo. It seams that everybody on the other forums and this one are very happy with the CCI SV. I put a red dot on it also, I guess it might also be the scope. I will try some federal copper plated round nose this coming weekend and see if it is the scope. I would get it sighted in and then all of the sudden my shots would be every where. I thought it had to be the ammo, we will seee this week end for sure. If I have trouble then I will send the scope in for replacement.It is brand new first time I used it. Never had any problems wit the Mark III's and a red dot on them.
Aim Small, Miss Small

#9 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,490 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have had very good targets with Federal Bulk ammo. It seams that everybody on the other forums and this one are very happy with the CCI SV. I put a red dot on it also, I guess it might also be the scope. I will try some federal copper plated round nose this coming weekend and see if it is the scope. I would get it sighted in and then all of the sudden my shots would be every where. I thought it had to be the ammo, we will seee this week end for sure. If I have trouble then I will send the scope in for replacement.It is brand new first time I used it. Never had any problems wit the Mark III's and a red dot on them.

Almost always with this type of problem it will be mechanical in nature. It will be a loose scope, a bad scope or sight that is shifting or a very, I mean very badly fouled bore. Let us know what you find out.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#10 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

Dwight is right and you said it yourself... "I would get it sighted in and then all of the sudden my shots would be every where." If you kept having to re-sight it in, there is something wrong other than the ammo.

Patrick Henry

#11 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

I thought maybe the wax was gumming up the barrell a little causing the problem, Like I said first time using wax ammo. I am going to send the Red Dot in for repair or replacement. Then I will give the CCI SV another try. everybody seems to Love it.
Aim Small, Miss Small

#12 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

I thought maybe the wax was gumming up the barrell a little causing the problem, Like I said first time using wax ammo. I am going to send the Red Dot in for repair or replacement. Then I will give the CCI SV another try. everybody seems to Love it.

The wax will not "gum up" the barrel as much as the copper wash rounds will foul it. The wax is a lubricant and will only build up to a certain level and that's it. It can "gum up" an action, mainly in blowback semi-autos, but that will not affect accuracy, but can affect the function of the action. Takes a LOT of rounds to do that in most guns... some are worse than others due to the design of the action.

Patrick Henry

#13 Randymac

Randymac

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:i shoot IR50/50 and RBA benchrest.
    I collect and shoot remington rimfires.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Try a box of AE 38gr if you can get it local, shoot's really well in my Ruger MKIII hunter, and most all of my rifle's.

#14 Bartman

Bartman

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Turkey Hunting , , Boating , Harleys, shooting

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Make sure you go back over all your screws. I put a high end red dot on my pistol. but the rings were not so highend. They loosened a couple times.

#15 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

Just an update, I put a reagular 2-7x32 scope on the gun and have shot nothing but CCI SV and it is doing very very good.
Aim Small, Miss Small

#16 22 skidoo

22 skidoo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:.22ing, grouse hunting, birding, grandkids, dog-walking.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

FWIW, I use CCI SV as a practice ammo in my Savage MK II's, a BV and a BTVS, and SK+ when trying for the smallest possible groups. When I'm having a good day and the weather is cooperating, I can shoot touching five-shot groups at 50 yards with the SK+. If I run a snake thru the bore and then shoot CCI SV under the same conditions, I'll typically get groups with four touching and one round hitting 1/8 to 1/4" outside of the group. I don't get wild flyers with the CCI, just that one irritating round out of five that turns a braggin' group into a ho-hummer. It's a matter of quality control, I suppose. When you get the sight problem squared away, you might try Federal Auto Match. It shoots pretty well for a bulk, medium-priced load.

#17 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

22Skidoo, I do use Federal automatch when I can't get CCI SV. I also bought 3 boxes of Federal Gold Metal from Gander Mountain the other day. I liked it very well just high at $5.00 for 50 rounds. But I have gotten amazing groups out of my Savage Mark II FV with them.
Aim Small, Miss Small

#18 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Check this site out. www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-the-week/22lr-rimfire. This web site checked out the accuracy of 55 brands of 22 ammo at 50, 75, and 100 yards in a super accurate highly modified rifle.. Even the lowly Blazer out perfomed some of the "brand" name target ammo. This might come in handy if your favorite flavor of ammo is hard to come by..BUT, even as the article points out. Some rifles and pistols just like one flavor over another.. After all..it doesn't matter to a Zombie whether you bang his noggin' with a 1/4 inch grouper or a 3/4 inch grouper...... Does it...LOL. :rolleyes: Dave Deo Vindice

Edited by dbp1stltartillery, 30 April 2012 - 12:44 PM.

The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

CICERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~55 BC!!

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#19 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 3,965 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Even the lowly Blazer out perfomed some of the "brand" name target ammo.

Blazer shot like a house afire in my CZ 452 Varmint at the last Raptor Match. I have always shot standard velocity in these long range prone bipod matches but I loved watching the little silhouettes fly off their rests with almost no lag time with the Blazer ammo.

March 2012 Rimfire Raptor Match

Place, shooter, rifle , scope, ammo, bi-pod or rest, String 1, 2, 3, Total, Tiebreaker (started with only 5 rds)

Telescopically Sighted Rifles

1st, Danny Creasy, CZ 452 Varmint, Weaver 6-20X40 Grand Slam, CCI Blazer, bi-pod, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

2nd, Keith McBrayer, Ruger 10/22, Barska 8-25, SK Std Plus, rest, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2

3rd, Peary Willard, TC Classic, Tasco World Class 3-12, Federal 510, bi-pod, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4

4th, David Malone, Izhmash Biathlon Basic, Barska 6-24, CCI SV, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Dwight Pilkilton, CZ American, Nikon Monarch 6-24, Federal Gold Metal, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, James Day, CZ 452 Varmint, Barska 6.5-20, CCI Select, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Ulus Farris, CZ 452 American, Weaver 6.5-20, CCI SV, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Robert Patterson, Winchester Wildcat, Barska 8-32, SK Std Plus, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

5th, Scott McGough, Mossberg Plinkster, Firefield 8-32, CCI Std Plus, rest, 0, 0, 2, 2

6th, Mike, Savage Mk II, Bushnell Fixed 4 power, Fed Auto Match, bi-pod, 2, 1, 2, 5

7th, David Hollimon, CZ 452 Silhouette, Weaver 6.5-20, Federal 510, rest, 1, 3, 2, 6

8th, Matt Hollimon, CZ Silhouette, Weaver 6.5-20, Fed 510, rest, 4, 1, 2, 7

Avatar: That is a pic of my Uncle Vernon Creasy hamming it up on the machine gun range in 1943.

#20 Karl

Karl

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:High Power Rifle, Rifle Silhouette, Bullseye Pistol, Bowling Pin Matches, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Can someone tell me about Western Value Pack? Is this the Winchester 555 amo? I would like to buy some but I am not quite sure what it is.

#21 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Blazer shot like a house afire in my CZ 452 Varmint at the last Raptor Match. I have always shot standard velocity in these long range prone bipod matches but I loved watching the little silhouettes fly off their rests with almost no lag time with the Blazer ammo.

March 2012 Rimfire Raptor Match

Place, shooter, rifle , scope, ammo, bi-pod or rest, String 1, 2, 3, Total, Tiebreaker (started with only 5 rds)

Telescopically Sighted Rifles

1st, Danny Creasy, CZ 452 Varmint, Weaver 6-20X40 Grand Slam, CCI Blazer, bi-pod, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

2nd, Keith McBrayer, Ruger 10/22, Barska 8-25, SK Std Plus, rest, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2

3rd, Peary Willard, TC Classic, Tasco World Class 3-12, Federal 510, bi-pod, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4

4th, David Malone, Izhmash Biathlon Basic, Barska 6-24, CCI SV, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Dwight Pilkilton, CZ American, Nikon Monarch 6-24, Federal Gold Metal, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, James Day, CZ 452 Varmint, Barska 6.5-20, CCI Select, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Ulus Farris, CZ 452 American, Weaver 6.5-20, CCI SV, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

4th, Robert Patterson, Winchester Wildcat, Barska 8-32, SK Std Plus, bi-pod, 1, 0, 0, 1

5th, Scott McGough, Mossberg Plinkster, Firefield 8-32, CCI Std Plus, rest, 0, 0, 2, 2

6th, Mike, Savage Mk II, Bushnell Fixed 4 power, Fed Auto Match, bi-pod, 2, 1, 2, 5

7th, David Hollimon, CZ 452 Silhouette, Weaver 6.5-20, Federal 510, rest, 1, 3, 2, 6

8th, Matt Hollimon, CZ Silhouette, Weaver 6.5-20, Fed 510, rest, 4, 1, 2, 7

Thanks Danny, I was about to cross Dave off my friends list.

Dave, What were you thinking when you called my go to ammo, ( 19.99 a brick Blazer ) lowly. All my CZs love this stuff. I will admit, when the sun starts shining and the Caldwell and bag comes out I will splurge for a brick or two of Wolf of SK. I have never tried the CCI SV off the bench with any of my rifles, but it's all I shoot in my M41.

Chance..

PS. Just kiddin Dave, your still on my friends list ;)
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#22 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire silhouette, rifle and pistol. 1 state champonship (GA) smallbore hunter pistol. 2nd place AA small bore hunter pistol Nationals in Texas. If it goes BANG, I love it. Former Artillery Officer. Dealership Sales Manager, and Master Jeweler.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Danny, I was about to cross Dave off my friends list.

Dave, What were you thinking when you called my go to ammo, ( 19.99 a brick Blazer ) lowly. All my CZs love this stuff. I will admit, when the sun starts shining and the Caldwell and bag comes out I will splurge for a brick or two of Wolf of SK. I have never tried the CCI SV off the bench with any of my rifles, but it's all I shoot in my M41.

Chance..

PS. Just kiddin Dave, your still on my friends list ;)

Hey Chance, it was strictly tongue-in=cheek.. I only have 6000 rounds of it. So guess what I shoot mostly..With a lot of the rimfire brands sold out or on ridiculous back order times it looks like I'll be shooting even more of it.. I had a real laser of a rifle, a Kleinguenther K-22 that absolutely loved it. Groups at 50 were UNbelievable... :D
The national budget must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work ,instead of living on public assistance.

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

ONCE THE PUBLIC REALIZES THEY CAN VOTE THEMSELVES MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC TREASURY THE REPUBLIC IS LOST..Ben Franklin and others.

#23 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hmmm, 6000 rounds. looks like I may have to find a load going out your way Dave. ;) Seems we may need to stock up again. I can remember the last ammo shortage. Looked for CCI SV at my usual place the other day and they were sold out. Better get me a case or two of Blazer before people find out how good it shoots.

Chance...

Edited by chance_of_rain, 09 May 2012 - 01:28 AM.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#24 jstanfield103

jstanfield103

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:36 AM

Around my little city CCI SV is really hard to find. 1 store carries it for $8.00 for a 100 rounds. But they are selling it out constantly, gets a little irritating.
Aim Small, Miss Small

#25 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Around my little city CCI SV is really hard to find. 1 store carries it for $8.00 for a 100 rounds. But they are selling it out constantly, gets a little irritating.

You should consider ordering a case from Shooters Supply or Champion's Choice and take note of the fact that it is often less expensive if you order it in the card board boxes instead of the plastic trays.

#26 dbp1stltartillery

dbp1stltartillery

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

We had a fun shoot with some church members at our family range Saurday with most guys shooting pistols so we stayed at the 25 yard stand up rail. My brother Joe and I had a couple of rifles that we had not even sighted in, his Rem 552 Speedmaster and my newsed customised( woodwork and accoutrements only) Rem 581S. Joe got his speedmaster sighted in and was hitting push pins about 4/5 shots..My 581 mounted with the Barska 6.5X20 was sighted in with our, ahem, cough, cough, lowly Blazer(this is for you Chance :D ) and was able to put 5 shots into one hole about 3/8th in size. I can't wait to get my new shooting bench over there with a good set of bags and back it up to 50 and 100 yards to see what it really is capable of. Oh, by the way, we shot some Armscor and it did really well(groups hung tight with only a couple 1/4" away flyers). During the entire morning shooting Blazer and Armscor we had ZERO FTF or FTE with either rifle or ammo. Dave Deo Vindice

Things never change.
And Rome Fell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users