19 replies to this topic

#1 swifter

swifter

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

I am new here and I typed in- 22 mag. accuracy- and got no results. Could someone tell me what is reasonable to expect, as far as accuracy goes, from a 22 Magnum rifle? Bolt or auto? Thanks in advance.

#2 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I am new here and I typed in- 22 mag. accuracy- and got no results. Could someone tell me what is reasonable to expect, as far as accuracy goes, from a 22 Magnum rifle? Bolt or auto? Thanks in advance.

If you get a bolt action to consistently shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards, you would be doing very well. Below is a link from the Benchrest forum that will answer your questions. I glassed a Marlin bolt action 22 mag into a Fajen varmint stock over Christmas out of curiosity, but have not had a day without wind to tune the barrel pressure bedding. The round is more wind sensitive than the 22 target due to the increased velocity. There are even some folk's hand loading the factory ammo to improve the performance. As far as getting an auto to shoot it would probably be a poor use of time and money.

Mark

http://www.benchrest...light=22 magnum

#3 Guest_Jon_*

Guest_Jon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

Volquartsen has a 1'' at 100 yards guarantee, I believe cooper has something along those Lines as well.

I have a CZ varmint with above average accuracy, Mine will do a 1 inch average on a calm day.

The 22 mag is no competition grade cartridge, it's just a nice hard hitting small game cartridge, I love it and will never be without one.

#4 swifter

swifter

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

Thanks again for the replies.

#5 gmcfixer

gmcfixer

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

swifter,

I have shot my 22 mag cheapie at 100 yards a few times and have got sub 1" most of the time, and yes as the fellow said they can be quite wind sensitive.

Posted Image

This is the best mine has ever done at 50 yards which I feel is quite impressive. I don't recall its best at 100 but it was somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4". Let us know how your's does!

Dave Z

#6 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

. There are even some folk's hand loading the factory ammo to improve the performance. As far as getting an auto to shoot it would probably be a poor use of time and money

I had no idea that you could reload rim fire shells. Are you sure ??
too

#7 swifter

swifter

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

That is a nice group gmcfixer. If I could get a rifle that would group 1" groups at 100 yds most of the time and 1 1/2 groups all the time I would buy one, and it looks like I can. I do know that would be in perfect conditions. What brand is your rifle gmcfixer? I have heard of people handloading the 22 Mag. They pull the bullets and put their own brew in and seat a new bullet. I have also heard that quite a few of the cases detonate when they seat the new bullets. Not a project for the weak of heart, and my heart is very weak. I wouldn't do it for love nor money. I have even seen, in some of the magazines where people write in for their Christmas wishes, ask for the loading companies to sell primed 22 Mag. CASES. That will NEVER happen. Each to his own though.

#8 38super

38super

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Steel Challenge (CF/RF)<br />IPSC/USPSA<br />3 Gun<br />Airguns (BR, Silhouette)<br />Home Machining

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

I thought we shot rimfire so we didn't have to pick up brass;)

#9 gmcfixer

gmcfixer

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

That is a nice group gmcfixer. If I could get a rifle that would group 1" groups at 100 yds most of the time and 1 1/2 groups all the time I would buy one, and it looks like I can. I do know that would be in perfect conditions. What brand is your rifle gmcfixer? I have heard of people handloading the 22 Mag. They pull the bullets and put their own brew in and seat a new bullet. I have also heard that quite a few of the cases detonate when they seat the new bullets. Not a project for the weak of heart, and my heart is very weak. I wouldn't do it for love nor money. I have even seen, in some of the magazines where people write in for their Christmas wishes, ask for the loading companies to sell primed 22 Mag. CASES. That will NEVER happen. Each to his own though.

Well to start the rifle is simply a Savage 93FVSS. I did install a Rifle Basix sear and stiffened the stock and bedded the action. I use a Simmons WTC-18 scope on it and since shooting that group I have also treated the barrel with Moly Fusion. I haven't had a chance to shoot it since the treatment to the barrel but figure I can get better consistancy. One day it would shoot extremely accurate and then another day it will shoot on average with most 22 mag bolt guns.

If you want some serious 22 magnum ammo there is some from a company called O.S.S.I. that made some handloaded 22 mag ammo that folks used to swear by. I'm not sure where to get it and if I recall it was somewhere around $25 a box, but one fellow I knew talked about almost always shooting sub 1" at 100 yards with his 10/22 mag and even better out of his VQ 10/22 mag.

38super yes I agree who wants to pick up rimfire brass!!! :D

Dave Z

#10 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,892 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

too

It seems crazy to me, but they claim to be pulling the bullets from unfired rounds. See the link I listed above.

Mark

From the Benchrest Forum:
As for reloading the 22 mag rimfire; No, you don't reprime the case. In a nutshell, you pull and discard the factory bullet, remeasure the powder or replace it, ream the case mouth, and use a 22 Hornet seater die to seat a new 224 bullet into the case.

Edited by patriot, 20 February 2007 - 10:14 PM.

#11 gillchaser

gillchaser

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 1,782 posts
  • Interests:Anything shooting ; fishing ; camping; hunting

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

I have a CZ Varmint that shoot MOA most days when I can :mellow: with CCI total metal jacket. and shoots the Remington V-max real good also . I'm looking forward to the new V-max load from CCI that's coming out this year. I think the best thing about the .17 CAL. introduction is the better .22 mag. ammo. kirby
>}}}}}> ------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>------->}}}}}>
SO MANY FISH , SO LITTLE TIME ............................. >}}}}}>
>}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}> ........ >}}}}}> ....... >}}}}}>

#12 guypike

guypike

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

My AMT Magnum hunter shoots just under an inch at 100 yds. with Federal premium ammo 30grns. By weighing and sorting by rim thickness I can get my Marlin 25MNSS under an inch most times. It occurred to me after sorting my 17hmr rounds that rimfires are rimfires and lo and behold I find significant inconsistancies in both weight and rim thickness! Who'd a thunk it,eh?

#13 Red

Red

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

My 10-22 magnum shoots just over an inch on average. On occasion I'll get a group that'll be around 3/4" but that's not the norm. Generally 1.xxx" - 1.3xx"....somewhere in there and I don't recall ever getting one over 1.5" when I use the ammo it likes. That's with a thick crosshair 3-10 power budget scope, not the best for 100 yard paper shooting.

#14 Rickster

Rickster

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

I would agree with Patriot that 1 inch accuracy at 100 yards is fine accuracy from a bolt action rifle. This would be with ammo the rifle likes under calm wind conditions. It is even more difficult to achieve with the inexpensive rifles (say under $400 retail) many of us use for varmint busting or small game hunting. Off the top of my head I can only think of the Savage and Marlin rifles (with a little tinkering) and preferably with the heavy barrel option. My Marlin SSHB shoots into 5/8 to 1 inch groups consistently with AMMO IT LIKES. The cheapest sub MOA ammo I've found for my rifle is the Winchester 40 grn JHP. It is very effective on small varmints as well. Truth be told I shoot more of the CCI Maxi Mag 40 grn HPs than anything else. I've picked up a couple thousand rounds locally on the cheap and they are the only CCI WMR round I've tried that group inside 1 1/4 MOA from my Marlin. I do have high hopes for the latest CCI fodder loaded with 30 grn Hornady V-Max bullets to 2,200 fps which I haven't yet tried. Good luck with your testing. I've found the 22 WMR cartridge to be a very useful, effective, and just plain fun round to shoot....

#15 Vern Humphrey

Vern Humphrey

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

My 77/22M Ruger (stainless with synthetic stock) will group under an inch at 100 yards all day long with ammo it likes.

#16 ruger22com

ruger22com

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

Of all my rifles (all types and sizes) my 10/22 magnum is the most fun to shoot, and is almost boring it is so damm accurate. I shoot at paintballs at 100 meters with no problem...and at small targets at 200 meters. This is only one of two (I have about 30 now) rifles that I would not even consider selling or trading (the other is an m1 garand I shoot competition with).
Visit http://Ruger22.com for 10/22 help, or http://CheapGunParts.com for 10/22 parts!

#17 Bull's-Eye

Bull's-Eye

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I also love my .22 Magnum.

Here is a pic of it and what it does at 50 Yards using Winchester Super -X rounds.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Claybuster

Claybuster

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Currently .22 Benchrest Shooting. Old Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays &amp; Silhouette (Pistol, Rifle &amp; Airgun) shooter. Amatuer Gunsmith, Hunter &amp; Fisherman.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

too

Yeah, it can & has been done, 2P. Years ago when I was shooting Hunter Pistol silhouette several of us were using TC Contenders in .22mag in the "centerfire" version of the game. The low recoil allowed the use of short eye relief rifle scopes on the pistols. But only 40 gr. loads were offered then (this was in the mid 80's)& they were not that relable in taking down the 100 meter rams; sometimes you'd just rock them. I had a set of dies made to reseat & crimp the bullets (50 gr. Sierras) after using a collet to pull the original bullet. (I recently sold the dies on RFC). We tried both using the existing powder charge & replacing it w/ a different powder. They did carry more energy to the rams & took them down more reliably (if you hit them!) - but we could never get the accuracy level of the factory ammo. I (& most other experimenters) abandoned the idea after a short time...

#19 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Clay, good explanation. This is new too me .
too_

#20 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

For you guy's that are getting good accuracy at 100 yards, are your rifles stock, or have aftermarket stock, or barrels , triggers ect. ? Some of your guns are pretty known to not be very accurate out of the box. I am thinking about buying a Rems #5 in .22 mag.
too_

Edited by toopointer, 21 May 2007 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users