22 replies to this topic

#1 Sundance

Sundance

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Iam in the process of ordering either a 17 HMR or a 22LR. Are the 17 HMR more accurate than the 22's. Iknow nothing about them at all. Thank you

#2 RustyNut

RustyNut

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking
    Hiking
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Reloading

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

I don't have a .17 but everything I read about them says their are more accurate.
Someone that has a .17 should be along shortly.

#3 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

From the ones I have seen and shot, the .17HMRs seem to be very accurate, but are more affected by the wind.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#4 longrifle

longrifle

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Shooting , Hunting, especially Coyote,Fishing ,Harley Davidson Motorcycles ,Family

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

I have a Savage 93 r 17 Heavy Bbl with an Intensity 4-12 It is Absolutly the most accurate rimfire rifle I have ever fired, 5 rounds under a dime at 100 all day long, Deadly on crows out to about 175 .Never a 22 mag again after shooting a 17 I call it my Micro Sniper. Buy a savage ,For the money they can't be beat.

#5 Jim McCoin

Jim McCoin

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Pre 1980 10 speeds, mostly Italian
    All kinds of firearms
    Metal Automotive Impressions

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

My CZ 452 .17HMR does seem a little more accurate than my 452 FS, but it weighs a little more and has a 3x9 scope and it depends on the day and how much work I want to do.

I like them both.

Jim
"The large print giveth, the small print taketh away".

Tom Waits

#6 longrifle

longrifle

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Shooting , Hunting, especially Coyote,Fishing ,Harley Davidson Motorcycles ,Family

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

The 17 hmr is less affected by wind than a 22 mag simply because the bullet is not in the air long enough ,besides is a ferrari or a mini van more efficien?.

#7 brbtx

brbtx

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have a Savage HMR that will shoot sub 1/2 moa under good conditions, out to 300 yards. Dont have a .22 lr that will do that past 50 yrds.

#8 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,740 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

The 17 hmr is less affected by wind than a 22 mag simply because the bullet is not in the air long enough ,besides is a ferrari or a mini van more efficien?.

If time in the air meant everything, high velocity .22LR rounds would be less affected than standard or sub-sonic .22LR rounds, and they are not. There must be other factors involved. Everyone I know that shoots a .17HMR says they are highly affected by the wind, but then I live in Kansas.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#9 wildwood

wildwood

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

My T/C Contender carbine 17 HMR is the most accurate gun that I own. It is a stock rifle, with no trigger or barrel modifications, and it consistently shoots groups smaller than a dime at 50 yards. And I am not all that good of a shot. :)

#10 Vibe

Vibe

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

http://rimfireshooti...hp?showtopic=76

#11 madmax17

madmax17

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

I own 3 .17's... one of Wich can be changed to a. 22mag. That model is the Cz 455. Love that gun. I also have a savage 93r17... and a marlin xt-17.... priced high to low......the Cz is the highest price. Then surprisingly the savage followed by the marlin.. personal opinion ...the marlin is the best bang for the buck gun I have ever bought. It is just as accurate as the higher priced Cz. I use the same center point 3x9x32 scopes on all 3. Same rounds, shooting in the same area. I have made some slight adjustments to all the triggers but every gun is dang near bone stock. I am in pure awww of the 17's. A well placed shot can bring down a lot bigger game than u think. If u want a solid. 17, I say go with the marlin xt-17.... comes with a bull barell and accu-trigger. Awesome rifle!

#12 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Boats, outboards,
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms
    recurve bows, good coffee

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I use the same center point 3-9x32 scopes

I tried the CenterPoint 3-9x32, parallax was fixed at 35 yards. Fine for my semi-auto,
but for my bolt actions I use the CenterPoint 4-16x40, parallax is adjustable from 5 yards to infinity.
Much more gooder for use with the .17 hmr. :)

Posted Image Posted Image

Compare the .17 hmr to the 22 and you can see the reason for the difference in accuracy.
The 22 is barely a step up from the original Minie ball, used in the Civil War, shown below.

Posted Image

The hmr is a more efficient round. Simply a better design. Check the data provided by Federal
in their 2011 Ammunition and Ballistics catalog and you can see why. Flatter trajectories,
less wind drift, higher velocities across the page. You pay for that improvement though. The hmr cost per round
is the same as the cost for match grade 22lr, but providing better accuracy. I'd rather be shooting the .17 hmr
at that round per round basis. At short range though, 50 yards or less with the kids, I'll keep shooting bulk
Federal at 3 to 4 cents a round. For serious rimfire shooting, the .17 hmr is the ammunition of choice.

Check for yourself

http://www.federalpr...pplication.aspx

Edited by jaia, 25 August 2011 - 12:10 PM.

jaia...just another interested amateur

#13 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:speaker building.woodworking.photography and motorcycles<br />not to mention firearms

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I picked up a Savage 93 SS at Dunhams on sale for $349, it is the most accurate rifle out of the box I have. This target is the very first after sighting in the scope so there were only about 15 rounds down the tube and it only seems to be getting better. Shoots so well at 50yrds that I feel like taking out a few trees and stretching my range to a 100yrds.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Everyone that shoots it loves it.

Arjay

#14 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

Nice looking rig Arjay. And I would say you can't go wrong at $349.00. My Thumbhole 452 is very simular. I have the Mueller 8-32x44 for glass. So far I have only shot it at a 100 yards, anything less seems like a waste to me. I think I shot my first three rounds at 50 and I swear it looked like two rounds, two went in the same hole :unsure: or maybe I missed the paper. :lol: Anyway enjoy your new Savage, I just wish the HMRs ammo was a little less expensive. I own two HMRs, a thumbhole and a fullstock, probably haven't shot more the three boxs of ammo, both combined. :blush:

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...

Edited by chance_of_rain, 25 August 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#15 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:speaker building.woodworking.photography and motorcycles<br />not to mention firearms

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

Nice looking rig Arjay. And I would say you can't go wrong at $349.00. My Thumbhole 452 is very simular. I have the Mueller 8-32x44 for glass. So far I have only shot it at a 100 yards, anything less seems like a waste to me. I think I shot my first three rounds at 50 and I swear it looked like two rounds, two went in the same hole :unsure: or maybe I missed the paper. :lol: Anyway enjoy your new Savage, I just wish the HMRs ammo was a little less expensive. I own two HMRs, a thumbhole and a fullstock, probably haven't shot more the three boxs of ammo, both combined. :blush:

Happy Shooting!!! Chance...

My LGS just had the Hornady .17gr on sale for $9.99/50, Bought a brick wish I could have gotten more. You're right about shooting at 50 it feels like cheating.

Arjay

#16 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 914 posts
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

cheaperthandirt.com is offering .17 HMR Winchester Super-X 20 Grain XTP JHP at $9.51 for a box of 50.
Ordered 20 boxes, shipping was 18 bucks. Cheaper than wally world by 4 bucks a box.
I do enjoy the way those rounds hit where you aim 'em, even way out there.
I go through a box every trip to the range, what a difference compared to a 22lr.

#17 Arjay

Arjay

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:34 AM

17gr Hornady red tip vs a roll if wet charmin, no Mr. Whipple I did not squeeze it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Arjay

#18 aack73

aack73

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:guns of all kinds, motorcycles, my wife and 4 children

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

If time in the air meant everything, high velocity .22LR rounds would be less affected than standard or sub-sonic .22LR rounds, and they are not. There must be other factors involved. Everyone I know that shoots a .17HMR says they are highly affected by the wind, but then I live in Kansas.

they weigh about half what a typical .22 weighs and that is part of it. less weight less forward momentum. less energy/wind it takes to move it off course. imagine if you shot a broom bristle at 10,000 fps on a windy day. do you think it will be more or less affected by the wind? i know there is alot more to it than that but that's close guesstimate. :blink:

if you were going to shoot at 100+ yds i would go with 17hmr, inside a 100 they are pretty close.

Edited by aack73, 30 August 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#19 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 914 posts
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

they weigh about half what a typical .22 weighs, less weight less forward momentum

I'm gonna disagree with this one. Momentum is (mass x velocity) measured at a particular moment in time.
Consider that the muzzle velocity of a .17 hmr is about 2550 fps and a 22 is from 1050 to 1400 fps depending on brand.
(the more accurate 22's being at the low end of the muzzle velocity range)
Momentum at impact is measured in foot/pounds, so looking at the chart provided by Federal
it's easy to compare drift, velocity, and momentum between the two types of rounds.
Excepting the 22 magnum rounds, the .17 hmr has better numbers pretty much across the chart.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jaia, 31 August 2011 - 07:14 AM.

#20 Vibe

Vibe

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Actually drift is proportional to lag time - the difference between flight time in a vacuum and real flight time. Faster bullets, with better ballistic coefficients, lose speed slower than those with poorer drag shapes - so they drift less.
A bullet that loses 15% less speed from muzzle to target will drift about 15% less (give or take a bit - it's proportional, but not necessarily exact). Subsonic bullets do not have the supersonic drag to deal with and usually lose speed at a slower rate - so they drift less. But then they don't go as far either.

#21 jaia

jaia

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 914 posts
    fishing, diving
    small game hunting
    small caliber firearms

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Subsonic bullets do not have the supersonic drag to deal with and usually lose speed at a slower rate - so they drift less.

Comparing calibers in the Federal ballistic charts shows slightly different results.
The subsonic 22lr's show greater drift than the hmr ammunition across the chart.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jaia, 01 September 2011 - 08:49 AM.

#22 Vibe

Vibe

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Comparing calibers in the Federal ballistic charts shows slightly different results.
The subsonic 22lr's show greater drift than the hmr ammunition across the chart.

In reality they are not "different" results. The different bullet shapes have different drag factors. The HMR has a better BC (which is natural since BC is a calculated number derived from the very things that people use BC to predict - sort of circular logic if you think about it). The HMR has a slightly better sectional density - ratio of mass to cross section - than the 22 LR, and a much sleeker shape. this shows up a lot when comparing the 31 grain LR @ 1430 muzzle vel vs the 1080fps 40 grain. the 31 grain bullet loses speed faster, with a similar shape, and drifts more.

Edited by Vibe, 01 September 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#23 montveil

montveil

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing, sailing and canoing, beer & wine making, beekeeping, gardening

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm new to the forum and own a 22 mag and 17 HMR.
I always heard that the HMR is more affected by wind than other rounds so I went to http://www.handloads...calc/index.html to really see the differences.
Here are some values calculated under my conditions at 100 yard zero with a 10 mph cross wind. Velocity values were obtained from the CCI web site

17 HMR = 3.61
22 Mag = 5.26
22 LR @1260 = 5.14
22 LR stinger @ 1640 = 7.42
I was surprised at the results. The bullet shape, weight, BC, velocity really have a great effect on drift
The bottom line seems to be that the 17 HMR is LEAST AFFECTED BY WIND
And to my surprise, the Stinger in spite of its higher velocity compared to the 22 LR, its lower bullet weight, lower BC was the one with the most drift

The handloads site is great and I can even use it for my ML combos
montveil in the NC mountains (Boone area)
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users