• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

So I after I did some fine tuning on my Ruger 10/22 bedding, started to wonder what other length barrels were being use out there. I realize the concept of the Ruger 10/22 is a "carbine" and all that goes with the description of a carbine. I thought about maybe going to a 20 or 22 inch long barrel but no longer than that. Regardless of what length I might change to, I'd still be using a scope so no pro or cons of sight length for me here. What length barrel do you folks use on your 10/22's and what are your thoughts on barrel length for this particular rifle?

#2 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,544 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

So I after I did some fine tuning on my Ruger 10/22 bedding, started to wonder what other length barrels were being use out there. I realize the concept of the Ruger 10/22 is a "carbine" and all that goes with the description of a carbine. I thought about maybe going to a 20 or 22 inch long barrel but no longer than that. Regardless of what length I might change to, I'd still be using a scope so no pro or cons of sight length for me here. What length barrel do you folks use on your 10/22's and what are your thoughts on barrel length for this particular rifle?

I use a GM Heavy taper barrel cut down to 16.25 inches to make CMP Sporter weight. Works great.
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#3 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Mine is a 20" SS Green Mountain, fluted barrel. Shoots great. I like the extra weight out front, slows down the swing for me.

#4 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

I use the 22" running boar Green Mountain barrel on my 10/22 and a 20" Green Mountain fluted bull barrel on my charger. :rolleyes:

Walt
Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#5 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Walt.... on a Charger??????? I would love to see that!!! :rolleyes:

#6 Walt

Walt

USBR Administrator

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting,woodworking,
    gardening.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Here ya go.

Attached Thumbnails

• Charger.JPG

Walt Miller

All is not butter that comes from the cow. ~Proverb

Saving just one dog won't change the world....but surely the world will change for that one dog.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...Be grateful you have a glass, and there is something in it...

#7 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Walt, now thats a Charger I could wrap my hands around!! I do like that. My local gun shop has a charger with some kind of electronic sight on it in his place. I think he wants $330 for it. I might go take a second look now. I could get a 20" bull barrel just like on my 1022 and mount it then....

It never occurred to me that you could put long barrels on these!!

Thanks for the Pic...

#8 RustyNut

RustyNut

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking
    Hiking
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Reloading

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

Here is one I've been waiting for. It's been out of stock for awhile and is finally back. Just ordered one.

http://shootersdisco...d&productId=137

#9 rich56

rich56

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

I like the look and feel of longer barrels. I currently have a &&/22 VBZ 24" varmint barrel on one rifle, A 20" hvy taper barrel off a 10/22 LVT a nd a 24" GM bull barrel. I also like the stainless 22" Wally World barrel with sights

#10 ruger22com

ruger22com

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

Any barrel over 19 inches will not improve accuracy. Also, remember that barrel tuning can be very important. And if you are having accuracy issues, before you swap out your barrel or buy an expensive tuner, simply remove the barrel band. That band is for looks only and usually screws up the barrels vibration dynamics, so removing it will increase accuracy by at least 50% on most barrels.
Visit http://Ruger22.com for 10/22 help, or http://CheapGunParts.com for 10/22 parts!

#11 secondamendment

secondamendment

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Rifle Making
    Small game hunting
    Archery

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

My first post! I have a 24" "factory" taper barrel on my 10/22 and LOVE the way it shoots - Also have a 24" of my Remington 541-S Custom Sporter and the squirrels dislike it. I agree a barrel over 19" if pretty much wasted but I've always like longer barrels. Besides, they look awesome!
Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

#12 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,544 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

My first post! I have a 24" "factory" taper barrel on my 10/22 and LOVE the way it shoots - Also have a 24" of my Remington 541-S Custom Sporter and the squirrels dislike it. I agree a barrel over 19" if pretty much wasted but I've always like longer barrels. Besides, they look awesome!

I agree, welcome to RFS 2nd Posted Image

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#13 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Welcome to the forum SecondAmmendment... And I also am a big fan of longer barrels. And for a lot more reason than what if any assistance they are to either velocity or accuracy per se....

I like them because they put weight out at distance from the pivot point your hand provides in off hand shooting. Weight at the end of a long barrel due simply to physics, slows down the movement of the barrel tip and therefore aim point. Just as an ice skater spinning, spins slow with the arms extended (at length from the center) and much faster with arms tucked in to the torso(ie short barrel, close to the center/pivot point), the speed of motion is much more controlled with the longer barrel.

I have a CZ ultra lux that is outstanding as a silhouette rifle for me as it does make the motion slow down enough to keep my nerves calmer and allows me to concentrate on breaking the shot.

#14 Que

Que

Legendary Shooter

• RFS Benefactor
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

I think I have everything from 17" to 24" barrels mounted on 1022s. I like the wt of the bull 24" for sure as it rides the bags well but I certainly wouldn't want to get in the field with it and walk around all day. I'd pick a lighter wt one for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users