17 replies to this topic

#1 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Shooting , Camping , Beer & Women ( :

NRA Life Member , CRPA Life Member , BRRC Life Member , Americana 1800 Adventure Club : Junior Match Director
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just an " FYI ".
Heres a review of a few cool looking " Aluminum Ammo Blocks "
http://bulletin.accu...loading-blocks/
http://www.cncshooter.com/

A member of " Rimfirecentral " has contacted the Company to make a " .22 Rimfire Version(s) ".
They have agreed.., dependant on " IF " there is enough interest to justify his set-up cost !
Aluminum .22 Ammo Holder
http://www.rimfirece...ad.php?t=370025

L.M.

Edited by Louie.M, 18 December 2010 - 08:42 PM.

#2 Jim McCoin

Jim McCoin

Distinguished Shooter

• Consultant / Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Pre 1980 10 speeds, mostly Italian
    All kinds of firearms
    Metal Automotive Impressions

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

I think you could count on one hand the number of folks that re-load .22 rimfire, not trying to be funny, but I don't get it.

Jim
"The large print giveth, the small print taketh away".

Tom Waits

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

I can't see using one for shooting either. Why do anything that could hurt the wax coating or could be a source of grit.

Mark

#4 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

NRA Life Member , CRPA Life Member , BRRC Life Member , Americana 1800 Adventure Club : Junior Match Director

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

I can't see using one for shooting either. Why do anything that could hurt the wax coating or could be a source of grit.

Mark

Well, not to sound stupid myself.. But, I've read many threads over the years where somebody decided to start his/her own " test " i.e: Wiegh Rounds, Measure Rim Thickness, Bullet Reshaping, etc.
I find it's a bit easier to keep them separated, along with a bit more room for my chubby fingers to work around, for final inspection.

I don't recall reading anything about " reloading .22 rimfire " in the threads posted ... ?

Oh well, just trying to share some info .. " We are All Things Rimfire ".

L.M.

#5 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,028 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I use a plastic box right now for my USBR rounds during the match. And have several issues with it. It is too light, easy to dump over, and the lid is springy and wants to keep closing while I am shooting.

For a shell holder while at the bench, I think this is a workable solution. I have seen a few guys with the pretty walnut cases but I am sure they are a good bit more than the $25 for aluminum.

I think I am going to look into it for our use at the bench.. Unfortunately, here at my messy shooting bench in my office, NOTHING else I have is that well organized, so it may be a lost cause for my desk, but I do not like to be so unorganized at the matches, so it may have a place in my shooting bag..... :rolleyes:

#6 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 3,847 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I think many may find a place for one of these.

I don't like to handle ammunition used in BR save for the single removal from the original box. But, I have one of the nice wooden boxes and love to use it with medium quality ammo in our local offhand silo match to single load from. Especially, with my two sporters that have poor feeding qualities. Those would be my Kimber Hunter and Remington 541-THB (due to their poor magazine designs).
Avatar: I pulled the T-36 off of my Kimber Hunter about two years ago and mounted a more flexible glass on it. The Sightron HBR II 6X42 got the nod. I sighted it with some SK Std Plus that I ordered from Midway. The combination was grouping very well. I was using some 3 inch Birchwood Casey dots for aiming points. They have a small half inch diamond in the middle that the crosshairs didn't quite obscure. I had almost forgotten what good shooting one can do with a fixed 6 power scope.

#7 DupeDirty

DupeDirty

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

i have been throwing something similar to this around in my head the last year. But my concept seemed to bit more directed to making round more accesible out of the original plastic boxes they already come in. Most of the better quality rimfire ammo comes with those little black plastic trays. I am planing on makeing some to set one of those on and lift every other round out and reversible to get the rest of them out. I have seen things similar to them around but never for sale. I agree with Mr. Sheffieldshooter that i really dont like to handle the ammo to much, as to wear off the lubrication. But Some people may find this suitable for there needs, nice info. I am would be interested in how many he has to sell at 25 bucks a pop to start making money on them. aluminum is kindof expensive these days in bar form.

#8 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,778 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

I've read many threads over the years where somebody decided to start his/her own " test " i.e: Wiegh Rounds, Measure Rim Thickness, Bullet Reshaping, etc.

From the material I've found sorting may eliminate a few bad rounds, but it does not appear to turn $3 per box ammo into $6 ammo, or $6 into $12. I am running tests to see if weighing can be used to measure the quality control difference between two lots, hoping to minimize the group vertical. In sorting 600 rounds, from six lots, I went out of my way not to disturb the wax.

I don't recall reading anything about " reloading .22 rimfire " in the threads posted ... ?

Quality 22 mag ammo that will shoot under 1 inch at 100 is hard to find. Some reloaders pull the bullets, throw a new charge, and seat a match bullet.

Mark

#9 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

From the material I've found sorting may eliminate a few bad rounds, but it does not appear to turn $3 per box ammo into $6 ammo, or $6 into $12. I am running tests to see if weighing can be used to measure the quality control difference between two lots, hoping to minimize the group vertical. In sorting 600 rounds, from six lots, I went out of my way not to disturb the wax.

Quality 22 mag ammo that will shoot under 1 inch at 100 is hard to find. Some reloaders pull the bullets, throw a new charge, and seat a match bullet.

Mark

Well, to be pefectly honest.. I've played with a bit of " Bullet Reforming/Modifying " in the past.
http://www.rimfirece...t=243157&page=8
http://www.rimfirece...t=203447&page=9

I was also requesting a " Loading Block ", to be utilized for my " Junior Shooters ", which I haven't seen comercially made @ an affordable price !!

" Just an afterthought .. Someone made-up a wooden " Loading Block " ( approx 3 " x 4 1/2 ) for our Clubs Juniors Smallbore 4- position, which are spaced to duplicate the " target ".

We provide (control) the Rounds per position & it really helps keeps the kids on Track.. ( I use one also ).. :o

I don't have one with me to " Photograph ".. So you will have to visualize a " Small block ", with " five Sighters " & one round per Target ( Bulleyes).
Posted Image
I.E :
Five inner Sighters ( Black Dots )
Ten Recorded

Maybe ; 4" x 6 " Loading Block .. ?

I've had a few of my " Members " make offers (Wood) .. However, none seem to follow-thru with a finished " Product(s)" (12).

L.M.

Edited by Louie.M, 22 December 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#10 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

Well, to be pefectly honest.. I've played with a bit of " Bullet Reforming/Modifying " in the past.

Did you measure the effective BC out to 100?

Mark

#11 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

Did you measure the effective BC out to 100?

Mark

" NO ".

I didn't get past the " 50 Yard " Target Shooting phase. Although, I'm hoping on playing with some more " Modified Bullets ", in the future..?

Just clarifying my particular use (projects) for a " .22 cal Rimfire; Aluminum Ammo/Loading Blocks ".

L.M.

Edited by Louie.M, 22 December 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#12 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,450 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

" NO ".

I didn't get past the " 50 Yard " Target Shooting phase. Although, I'm hoping on playing with some more " Modified Bullets ", in the future..?

Just clarifying my particular use (projects) for a " .22 cal Rimfire; Aluminum Ammo/Loading Blocks ".

L.M.

Hey Markbo, I remember you from the old days at RFC. Thanks for becoming a member here....those blocks are snazzy.

Dwight
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

#13 Mark W.

Mark W.

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Shooting sports, Hunting, Photography and camera collecting, Vintage Stereo and Music collecting. Being a Grandpa and working on my house.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:17 AM

I use one I made from Oak with neoprene foam rubber in the holes to hold the bullet end of the shell. I love it for working either single load or to help when loading clips on the bench. Never had any trouble with WAX being messed up but then I tend to stay away from sticky gooey bullets.

#14 Mwieczorek

Mwieczorek

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Guns and fast cars!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

I have one of the wooden blocks from Champion Shooter's Supply. I also have a wooden block that I drilled to hold 50 rounds that I attached to the top of my offhand stand. I used this stuff extensively when I was shooting 3 position indoor matches. It's really inconvenient to have to dig one's cartridges out of the factory box when one arm is locked up in a sling in the prone or kneeling positions.

I'll probably buy one or two of these (50 rounds, bullet down). I could do a little more machine work to attach one to my offhand stand, and it would be a snazzy upgrade from my homemade wooden one.

Matt

#15 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

I have one of the wooden blocks from Champion Shooter's Supply. I also have a wooden block that I drilled to hold 50 rounds that I attached to the top of my offhand stand. I used this stuff extensively when I was shooting 3 position indoor matches. It's really inconvenient to have to dig one's cartridges out of the factory box when one arm is locked up in a sling in the prone or kneeling positions.

I'll probably buy one or two of these (50 rounds, bullet down). I could do a little more machine work to attach one to my offhand stand, and it would be a snazzy upgrade from my homemade wooden one.

Matt

Just an " FYI " update !

The gentelman making the " Blocks " is currently waiting for orders.
I'm ordering two 50 rounds / Bullets Down.

Rimfirecentral: Aluminum .22 cal Ammo Holder

Ok Gang,
Here is the deal. Tom is still extremely busy making centerfire blocks but I let him know that we want to get this one rolling.
So here is the deal.
Tom is going to make the 50 block and the 100 long block only at this time. NO 100 SQUARE!
He will make bullet up or bullet down your choice.
He is going to do a "group buy" until Monday January 24th, possible longer.
He would like a minimum of 10 of each unit so that he can set up his equipment and start machining.
Pricing is going to be: $15 each/50 block and $25 each/100 block.
Please email Tom Sziler(tom.sziler@gmail.com) with your order and title it ".22 Bullet Holder". Tom will get with you on payment options.
Thanks for your patience on this matter and hopefully we all can enjoy some blocks for the bench.
Take Care
Tony

" So far the order is up to 5. He wants at least 10 before he starts. Come guys what happened to all the interest?????
Tom's email is tom.sziler@gmail.com. 22-3P "

Louie.M

Edited by Louie.M, 24 January 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#16 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Just an " FYI " update !

The gentelman making the " Blocks " is currently waiting for orders.
I'm ordering two 50 rounds / Bullets Down.

Louie.M

Just a fleeting thought ..

I ordered (2) Bullet pointed up & (2) Bullet pointed down ...

I'm now wondering,..... " IF " , I stack one on top of the other (with Ammo pointed Up), will it workout, as a lid or cover, ... HMMMMMM ???

L.M.

#17 Louie.M

Louie.M

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

Just a fleeting thought ..

I ordered (2) Bullet pointed up & (2) Bullet pointed down ...

I'm now wondering,..... " IF " , I stack one on top of the other (with Ammo pointed Up), will it workout, as a lid or cover, ... HMMMMMM ???

L.M.

Just an update: " Photo "
Posted Image
" These will be come permanently available March 1, 2011 if anyone wants any additional."

L.M.

#18 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,450 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Wow thats prettyPosted Image
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users