• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Shooting in all forms
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

Well, I was down at my local dealer today, and I ran across a rather interesting older rifle. A rather nondescript-looking five-shot bolt-action repeater, labeled "Anschutz 1400". I don't really know anything ABOUT this rifle, but they only had it tagged at $175, and it's in halfway decent shape. Only real blemish is that it's missing the front sight, so I decided to not even take the rifle home before I have my smith trim the barrel back to remove the empty dovetail and thread 'er for my can. I was looking for a good suppressor host, and this looks like an interesting place to start. The stock is rather nondescript, some kind of wide-grain light coloured hardwood that has been refinished at one point or another.

I've found a lot of random information about this rifle, half of which contradicts the other half. Cripes, I've seen four different claims for what action it's built on! It has a trigger adjustable for something, not sure what, probably weight, and the bolt cocks in the last half inch or so of travel forward instead of on the twist. Anyone have any info for me on 'er?

Once I get it home, I'll get some photos and stick them up!
Two loudest sounds in the world:

1 - A firing pin on a loaded chamber that's supposed to be empty.
2 - A firing pin on an empty chamber that's supposed to be loaded.

#2 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

A rather nondescript-looking five-shot bolt-action repeater, labeled "Anschutz 1400". I don't really know anything ABOUT this rifle, but they only had it tagged at $175, and it's in halfway decent shape. Only real blemish is that it's missing the front sight, so I decided to not even take the rifle home before I have my smith trim the barrel back to remove the empty dovetail and thread 'er for my can.

Wow, an Anschutz for $175. SCORE!!!

See this link below for pdf's of various 1400's.

I'm not an expert on their sporters, but many of their rifles are designed with the barrel choked at the muzzle. If you cut it off or turn down the end you may hurt the accuracy.

Mark

http://jga.anschuetz...u=224&sprache=1

#3 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Wow, an Anschutz for $175. SCORE!!!

See this link below for pdf's of various 1400's.

I'm not an expert on their sporters, but many of their rifles are designed with the barrel choked at the muzzle. If you cut it off or turn down the end you may hurt the accuracy.

Mark

http://jga.anschuetz...u=224&sprache=1

That was more or less my thought as well, and why I grabbed it without actually doing any research on the rifle itself. The funny thing is, it's not one of the 1400 SERIES, it's simply marked "1400" with the two zeros, no trailing teen-number to identify it. Hmm... I'd really rather not hurt the accuracy of the rifle, I wonder how much effect there would be? He's only removing a tad under an inch, just enough to clear that front dovetail...

Alternately, do you know where I could find a new front sight for it? In that case I'd have him thread the muzzle in FRONT of the dovetail with no material removal, and replace the sight. I'd rather have the irons as well, if possible, it has a tangent rear that's not half bad.

Edited by Komitadjie, 31 October 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#4 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

I guess the only way to know would be to slug the barrel.

Finding an Anschutz sight might be difficult. I'd start by calling Champion Shooters, Champions Choice, and MT Guns. If it is a standard 3/8 dovetail than there should be third party sights available.

I had a model 75 that needed a taller front sight. I traded with someone to make a steel riser block with male and female dovetails opposite each other.

Mark

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=607874

#5 Komitadjie

Komitadjie

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 528 posts
    Photography
    Woodcrafting
    Gunsmithing

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

After thinking about it, I believe I'm going to have him leave the front dovetail intact, and I'm just going to try to hunt down a replacement. Cripes, I've got a whole machine shop to mess around with, if I really needed to I could probably just make my own. Once I have it back, I'll measure that dovetail and start looking for parts. At worst I just use an indicator to level the flat on the barrel, and recut it to whatever dovetail size I like, probably a 3/8 standard one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users