10 replies to this topic

#1 Bolero

Bolero

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

Is anyone using a 77/22 for serious Target work at 50yd USBR or is the gun just not up to it...???

Bolero

#2 Barry

Barry

Legendary Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 2,008 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting and varmint hunting especially prairie dog shooting. I also enjoy shooting crows and other vermin. My true passion right now is USBR rim fire.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:06 AM

Is anyone using a 77/22 for serious Target work at 50yd USBR or is the gun just not up to it...???

Bolero

Danny(sheffieldshootr) will be along shortly. He has shot his 77/22 in USBR matches and done pretty well. He will give you all the ins and outs. Barry
Barry A. Holmes

#3 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:29 AM

Serious target work within the sporter class?

Mark

#4 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

I think the sporter class is the one class where shooter skill is actually a fairly big part of the game. It is kind of lagging in what many in USBR consider the 'technology' by it's very nature. But the sporter class is a hard fought trophy in most of the matches I have been to.

It is not serious, I will agree, in the scoring and realistically a different game than Custom or Unlimited class, but individually, it is pretty serious, just at a different game.

To the original question, I think the Ruger 77/22 in sporter class does have a chance, but unfortunately, it has one only because each rifle in original format from the maker is an individual and there are some real stand outs in almost every rifle make. The nature of the sporter class makes it possible for any make or brand to have a chance at it. However, with the Ruger 77/22 ON AVERAGE would likely struggle against some of the other brands. The Ruger I think is at the level of a Savage in accuracy out of the box from an average point of view, and many of the Savages can and do shoot well enough to make inroads in the sporter class matches. But there are inherently more accurate stock set ups that are out there being used.

IF you can get an ammo that is well liked by the individual rifle you have, and can get a top rest that gives the necessary support for good grouping, it is possible.

I guess if I owned a Ruger and wanted to try and compete, I would do a good ammo test and go out and shoot it. It can be OK but depends on the individual rifle, and the skill level of the shooter. But if I was starting with a blank slate, and wanted a rifle regardless of look or cost, to use as a USBR 'serious' contender, I would likely choose one of the Anschutz actioned rifles, or even a Weatherby based on the 64 action. But in the end, sporter class is more affected by the shooter than the other classes and any decent rifle could be the one that shoots well for you.

If you go down to the USBR competition posting area on this site you can see how the different brands fare against one another. Many brands represented there, and occasionally the Ruger 77/22 is one of them....

Edited by LongPlay, 28 October 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#5 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

Bolero

As Barry said, I did for a couple of years in the local Sheffield, Alabama matches. The VBZ with Ruger rings and a T-36 weighed 8 lbs 10 ozs. So, it would not make Sporter Class and you guys know me - I had half a dozen sporters to shoot - So, I shot it in Custom Class. Here is the best we ever did:

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:14 PM May 17th USBR Match Results from the North Alabama Shooting Association, Inc (Sheffield, AL)

29 scores were posted today at our BR match by 19 different shooters. The weather was marvelous.

Score (possible 250-25X) Shooter's Name Rifle Scope Ammo

Unlimited Class (just that - unlimited)

226-2X Tony Gilmore Suhl Weaver V-24 Federal Gold Metal

225-1X Barry Holmes Winchest 52 Weaver T-36 SK Pistol Match

219-1X Jack Belew H&R Model 12 Tasco Eley

193-3X Dwight Pilkilton Anschutz BSA 36X44 Federal Gold

Custom Class (like unlimted except for the rule that the rifle can't weigh over 10.5 lbs)

235-1X Danny Creasy Ruger 77/22 VBZ Weaver T-36 SK Std Plus

231-3X David King CZ 452 Ultra Lux Tasco Wolf MT

227-4X Barry Holmes CZ 452 Varmint Redfield SK Std Plus

223-3X Tim Blacklidge Ruger 10/22 Target Leupold Wolf MT

216-1X Charlie Seifried Anschutz 1808 M Nikon 6-18 Lapua

Sporter Class (factory sporter weighing no more than 8.5 lbs)

229-1X Tim Blacklidge CZ 452 Varmint BSA 6-24 Lapua

225-2X Danny Creasy Kimber Hunter BSA 36X44 Fiocchi 340 Biathlon

213-1X Tony Gilmore Savage Mk II Tasco Federal Gold Metal

213-1X Willie Rhodes CZ 452 American Barska 8-36X42 SK Std Plus

210-2X Paul Enlow Biathlon Basic Swift 6-24X50 Aguila Std Velocity

209-0X Barry Holmes Browning A-Bolt Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14 SK Pistol Match

209-0X Dwight Pilkilton Biathlon Basic Weaver V-16 Wolf MT

202-1X Richard Strickland Biathlon Basic Swift 6-24X50 Aguila Std Plus

200-2X Charlie Seigfried Mauser Leupold Lapua

194-0X Jon Stratton Remington Model 5 Nikon fixed 4X40 Remington Sub Sonic

174-1X David King CZ 452 Special Nikon Monarch 3-9 SK Std Plus

174-0X Peary Willard Kimber 82 Leupold Federal Champion Standard

Fun Sub-Matches

2-Buck-A-Box (ammunition must cost no more than $2.00 a box at current retail)

216-0X Tony Gilmore Suhl Weaver V-24 Federal Champion

214-0X Dwight Pilkilton Anschutz BSA 36X44 Aguila CMP

194-0X Danny Creasy CZ 452 American Swift 6-18X44 Aguila CMP

191-1X Jon Stratton Savage Mk II Tasco Federal Champion

187-2X Barry Holmes Remington 504 Bushnell Banner 4-12 Federal Auto Match

183-0X Peary Willard Savage Mk II Barska 6.5X20 Federal Champion Standard

Semi-Auto (any semi-auto shooting .22 long rifle ammunition)

209-1X Willie Rhodes Ruger 10/22 T BSA Sweet 22 SK Std Plus

205-2X Keith McBrayer Remington 597 Barska 6-24 Aguila Std Velocity

Magnum Class (.22 WMR, .17 HMR, .17 HM2, and 5mm Rem Rimfire Magnum)

None

I want to especially thank some folks:

Tony Gilmore, Willie Rhodes, and David King for helping set up.

Anedra Gilmore for the hours spent registering shooters, organizing strings, running strings, and recording results.

Barry Holmes for bringing 30 USBR targets to contribute to the club's larder.

The only mod at that time was a Dwight Rickard trigger job which reduced the factory's 5 lb trigger to 2.5 lbs. In 09, I drilled out the buttstock to lose two ozs and made it eligible for Sporter Class (best I could tell this was within the rules). But, between the rifle and me, we had lost our edge (please note that I had not delivered a Ruger score above the low 220s in months - the wood removal was not the issue). Probably the latter. As LP wisely states above, the USBR Sporter Class is a marksman's class and it ain't like ridin a bike. One must practice it constantly and shoot lots of targets - not just groups. The light rifle must be returned to the same firing position after each shot for optimum score. I had kinda lost my zill for the BR game at that time - we shoot so many games in Sheffield. After the Sporter Master pentathlon is over this coming weekend, I think I may give the Ruger a revisit. If not for USBR competition, at least for a fun winter project.

The reader should check out the Ruger 77/22 forum on RFC. While not box stock rifles, those guys put together some very accurate custom 77/22s. Also, the latest Ruger 77/22s now have threaded barrels. Mixed reviews on RFC about that as well.

#6 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

Danny,

Thanks for the insight. I take pride in the fact that the few trophies I have, are all in sporter class, except for one I got with the new Kimber 82G. I would like to have your stable of sporters to shoot sometimes. But I am working on the flock, improving quantity as well as quality as I can.

I envy you guys with so many games available to the light rifle shooters..... I agree, it does look like lightening the stock is allowed within the USBR rules to me also.

I have been humbled lately, with my sporter practice. It seems there are some half dozen things I do shooting light rifles that ALL make a difference in how I shoot, and I seem to only be able to control 3 or 4 at a time!! :rolleyes:

#7 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

It seems there are some half dozen things I do shooting light rifles that ALL make a difference in how I shoot, and I seem to only be able to control 3 or 4 at a time!! :rolleyes:

Amen brother!

#8 Bolero

Bolero

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Wow, I am seriously impressed with the info and knowledge here on the General subject of smallbore and USBR.

I have a chance to pick up a like new 77/22, Laminated today for $350.00 and was just wondering if they had potential and I now know they do...thanks for the info Sheffieldshooter and others.

I just want to shoot BR, USBR targets in the 230+ class, I do that now with my old Savage Anschutz M64 and want to try something else without going broke customizing....

Thanks all...

Bolero

Edited by Bolero, 28 October 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#9 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

Bolero,

At that price, you should just go get it... The investment quality is worth it from all I see.

The potential is there for sure. Just make plans to test ammo till you find one it likes.

Trigger work though, i am not sure who can help. Ruger does not have a good rep for great triggers.
But again, tinkering and a good smithy can probably fix any issues there...

#10 40x513t

40x513t

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Shooting , Hunting, Gun smithing,Reloading ,collecting Sheridan pellet guns

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

I'm a fan of the vbz models- If that $350. rifle is one of them... that's a buy!!

#11 donw

donw

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

i installed a voltquartsen .17 HMR barrel on my 77/22...it was a .22 WMR...it's a tack-driver...i do not shoot competition, though... but i find it very useful in varminting...

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0916.JPG

I am a legend in my own mind...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users