36 replies to this topic

#1 Terminator

Terminator

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Just been offered a beautiful Remington 552 Speedmaster, are they any good and should I part with my cash ?

#2 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Chemistry

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

I like them. But they are best shot as what they are, everyday plinkers. The issue I had was when attaching a scope, the barrel is not rock solid attached to the receiver that your scope is mounted on. The action, and the autoloading feature seem to work as good as any auto I have owned.

Parts are still available mostly, from Numrich Arms, in fact I have a rear sight off of a BDL 552 on my desk for a good friend of mine.

For the right price, they are great shooters....

OH... and for the Why, Why, Why..... just because a man cannot have enough .22 rifles in his safe.

Edited by LongPlay, 12 September 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#3 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Yes, they are good. As LP says, they are not target rifles. I purchased one at a pawn shop years ago that had never been cleaned and had much of the buttstock's finish eaten away. The guy must have used Kutzit for an aftershave.

Anyway, I stripped the plain jane stock and refinished it with a Birchwood Casey kit. Then I scooped the guck out of the action and have enjoyed shooting the rifle ever since. Actually, I did shoot it in a couple of CMP Sporter matches (without a sling of course) and posted respectable scores.

Again as LP indicated, this design does not work very well scoped. It has a propensity to shift POI when scoped - just like my Nylon 66.

Mine had a cracked rear sight. There were at least three different rear sights employed over the life of the 552. My basic model has a somewhat simple little square based rear sight. It works okay. But, I fear that it will split in two and fall off some day. Keep meaning to order a replacement from Numrich or the like.

#4 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yes, they are good. As LP says, they are not target rifles. I purchased one at a pawn shop years ago that had never been cleaned and had much of the buttstock's finish eaten away. The guy must have used Kutzit for an aftershave.

Anyway, I stripped the plain jane stock and refinished it with a Birchwood Casey kit. Then I scooped the guck out of the action and have enjoyed shooting the rifle ever since. Actually, I did shoot it in a couple of CMP Sporter matches (without a sling of course) and posted respectable scores.

Again as LP indicated, this design does not work very well scoped. It has a propensity to shift POI when scoped - just like my Nylon 66.

Mine had a cracked rear sight. There were at least three different rear sights employed over the life of the 552. My basic model has a somewhat simple little square based rear sight. It works okay. But, I fear that it will split in two and fall off some day. Keep meaning to order a replacement from Numrich or the like.

Danny, if you try and get that sight, and it is a BDL, there is a single screw that is showing OUT OF STOCK on that sight assembly or it was on the 552 BDL I was trying to match. Just so you will know, the screw is a size 4 and 48 tpi threads. Same as the screw that goes through the dovetail clamping part. Except it is much shorter. So if you need that screw, simply order 2 of the clamping screws and cut and file clean the second one for the missing screw. I have a second screw coming now, that with shipping now will cost almost 15 dollars, because NO ONE could tell me from Numrich what screw size I needed. So I needed to get it here, test the screws I have and then luckily tested that screw for the dovetail clamp, to find that yes that is the right one just too long.....

Danny, I just love 'saving' rifles like this. And a Speedmaster is a worthy rifle to save for sure. I truly enjoyed mine while I had it. Probably ran a couple of thousand rounds through it, and like you, only cleaned it the one time. But it had to go to fund a different kind of project... and i do still miss it.

Edited by LongPlay, 12 September 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts
  • Interests:.22 Sporters, military rifles and curios, local club matches - 50/25 Sporter, 25/25 Pistol, Rimfire Raptor Match, and CMP Sporter.

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks LP but mine is not a BDL. I looked at the schematic on Numrich and it seems to be pretty clear which base I need. However, I want to get some parts for an old pump shotgun as well and I will need to call them and ask which version of the Savage Model 30 is the one sold under the Belknap name. I think it needs a new shell cutoff, cutoff screw, and nut. I didn't think the model would matter but I noticed the different models (30D, 30E, 30 teeheehee) have different part numbers for these cutoff parts. I will get the sight base and the correct cutoff parts all at one time to save on shipping.

#6 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was an ADL or a BDL, but you are right. I really had to get my friend to describe very closely which rifle he had. Seems there are a few variations on the theme with these Remingtons....

I agree... shipping for this tiny screw is eating my lunch inside.... It is aggravating, but truthfully, $15 dollars is not such a big deal, but it eats on my sensibilities to pay shipping that is in excess of the value of the screw, simply because I could not find the information I needed to get the right one the first time....

We live and learn...

Good luck on that Savage. I have an older Remington 11-48 that has been with me a long time. I have no idea why it points so well for me, but I will do as you. I will fix and continue using it until it is not possible any more....

#7 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

The first 22 semiauto I ever fired was a Speedmaster. It belonged to my uncle and he would let me borrow it while I was in high school. I remember him carrying it when we went rabbit hunting. I used a shotgun, but he was a good rifle shot. I remember seeing him hit a rabbit in the head as it was running.

#8 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was an ADL or a BDL, but you are right. I really had to get my friend to describe very closely which rifle he had. Seems there are a few variations on the theme with these Remingtons....

I agree... shipping for this tiny screw is eating my lunch inside.... It is aggravating, but truthfully, $15 dollars is not such a big deal, but it eats on my sensibilities to pay shipping that is in excess of the value of the screw, simply because I could not find the information I needed to get the right one the first time....

We live and learn...

Good luck on that Savage. I have an older Remington 11-48 that has been with me a long time. I have no idea why it points so well for me, but I will do as you. I will fix and continue using it until it is not possible any more....

Actually, upon further examination, I need what is listed as the rear sight leaf - not the base - not the eyepiece - and of course, Numrich is out of stock on this item.

I took the rear sight apart and examined the two halves of the broken leaf and now the little pieces of steel are clamped together with a tiny drop of Duco Cement pressed between them. If this holds em together upon examination tomorrow, I will reassemble and go zero the rifle and enjoy.

I had an old steel tube Weaver K 2.5 on the rifle when I got it out a few moments ago and after throwing it up to my shoulder a few times and having to crane my neck around to get a decent field of veiw, I grabbed a screw driver and removed the old scope and went to work on the rear sight leaf. This is an open sight killer diller and some orphaned centerfire will come along that needs that Weaver (that old glass would be right at home on a Marlin 336 or Savage 99 riding in a pair of low rings).

#9 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

If your glue doesn't work, you might want to try JB weld. It is stronger than most glues.

#10 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

If your glue doesn't work, you might want to try JB weld. It is stronger than most glues.

The tiny contact points where the separation occurred simply do not have enough surface for the glue to work. I will have to get some JB Weld and try it again. Thanks Peary.

Danny

#11 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

The tiny contact points where the separation occurred simply do not have enough surface for the glue to work. I will have to get some JB Weld and try it again. Thanks Peary.

Danny

#12 Pearyw

Pearyw

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

You will have to spread JB weld across the gap. It sets up like steel. You can get it almost anywhere. I have fixed gas tanks and holes in my gutters with it.

#13 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

I had an old steel tube Weaver K 2.5 on the rifle when I got it out a few moments ago and after throwing it up to my shoulder a few times and having to crane my neck around to get a decent field of veiw, I grabbed a screw driver and removed the old scope and went to work on the rear sight leaf. This is an open sight killer diller and some orphaned centerfire will come along that needs that Weaver (that old glass would be right at home on a Marlin 336 or Savage 99 riding in a pair of low rings).

The newer BDL is more suited to mounting a scope than the earlier models... has a higher comb with the Monte Carlo stock.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#14 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

Danny

If all else fails, from the Numrich schematic drawing, it appears that the screw holes might be the same for either sight, and a full BDL sight could be installed... Costly, to be sure, and over $60 just for the parts list, but that is an option.

#15 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

If all else fails, from the Numrich schematic drawing, it appears that the screw holes might be the same for either sight, and a full BDL sight could be installed... Costly, to be sure, and over $60 just for the parts list, but that is an option.

Interesting that you mention that LP. I was on the same track. I had a 572 BDL pump about a decade and a half ago and mounted one of the Williams tip off groove peep sighs on it. Had to pull the rear sight. Later sold that rifle to a good friend of mine. I could have sworn that the rear sight was still around here in the Williams sight box but I have yet to find it.

#16 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

So the hunt is on!! :D

#17 Terminator

Terminator

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

So, you guys.....all I asked was if a 522 Semi Auto Remmie was worth having and was it any good...!
My request seems to have developed into a mend it / fix it, discussion on the pros and cons of some rear sight or other....Come on you experts, give me the full lowdown on the 552 P.L.E.A.S.E. !

#18 Technical Director

Technical Director

Tinhorn

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Anything involving the physical sciences has always caught my attention....including shooting. Shooting, in general, has been a life long passion and fun challenge for me.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

So, you guys.....all I asked was if a 522 Semi Auto Remmie was worth having and was it any good...!
My request seems to have developed into a mend it / fix it, discussion on the pros and cons of some rear sight or other....Come on you experts, give me the full lowdown on the 552 P.L.E.A.S.E. !

Hi Terminator,

By now you might have determined that you're in the land of DIY type people, plus they're pretty knowledgeable about the ins and outs of various rilfes....including the 552. Once you've thoroughly digested the plethora of freely shared information, it's really your call regarding the purchase of a 552 and any future rifles that catch your interest.

And welcome to this forum :)...Technical Director

#19 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

Ok,,, here you go........

"""Just been offered a beautiful Remington 552 Speedmaster, are they any good and should I part with my cash ?"""

They are great rifles for plinking.
They have issues holding POI with scopes, so Iron sights are the rule of the day.
If the money is right for your market, I would buy it. Here in the states, I would say $350 for a BDL version is topping out.
Parts still available for the most part, but as with any older model, some may take time to acquire if you ever need them.
:unsure:

#20 Terminator

Terminator

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

Thanks, Long Play, I guess you said what I have thought ! I have a number of Rifles which are all fitted with 'scopes and I just wanted to have one with iron sights, just to keep my eye in - if you know what I mean, as I feel I am becoming "Scope Dependant"... Most modern and new rifles over here ( U.K.) are without iron sights at all and as time goes on, it gets increasingly difficult to find a nice 'proper' gun that has not had a 'scope fitted one way or another ! I have also been offered a Marlin 995 .22 semi auto but no one seems to know much about them either.....any comments anyone ?...Your help IS appreciated...
Incidentally, we have JB Weld over here too and I could write a book on what I have fixed with it !...

#21 LongPlay

LongPlay

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hey Terminator... if we can just keep the JB Weld and a roll of duct tape, the world in any form of disrepair, can be fixed!!!

Yeah, got you on the iron sights. The 552 will serve you quite well. Shoots like a dream, and for a semi auto, comes with a fairly reasonable trigger for most of the ones I have used. I also had a 572, the pump version, and it also was deadly accurate with the irons.

I have no idea about the 995 Marlin, but in general if that Marlin is not MORE THAN 15 years old, I would pass and take the Remmie.... Marlin has had some rather questionable quality coming out as of late. Went out of business being bought up for next to nothing by the new Remington folks and seems they closed the New York plant and moved everything... I would wait and watch what comes out for a while...

At 58 y.o. I am already well past scope dependent, so my hat's off to you and those that can do the irons... truly a feat of skill to be sure. :tumbs:

#22 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

I thought we did in posts 2, 3, and 7.

Every .22 rifle f.a.n. should have a 552.

About the 995. I doubt if my digression would have taken off like it did if the subject was the Marlin semi-auto line. A used Marlin semi-auto (60, 995, etc.) can be a decent plinker and small game rifle. My wife gave me a 60 for Christmas years ago and it is still accurate and reliable. But, I really baby a rifle. I have a friend that got one in his teens and that was a jam queen from the get go (35 years ago) and it still is. Hit or miss.

Best of luck,

Danny

#23 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

We often stray from the original intent of the thread on this forum.... nothing to worry about, our "police" are pretty liberal (thread-wise that is).
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#24 Terminator

Terminator

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

Long Play, Sheffield and Carl....Thanks to all for your info, much appreciated.

No problem with straying off subject, no different to me really, it comes with age (so they say !)..I can give you 10 years L.P....I'm 68 but still hunting and shooting like I've done for nearly 60 years now. I have a lot of farmer friends over here who all have vermin problems, rabbit, fox, some deer and plenty of pigeon and crow etc so I can keep quite busy shooting when I want to. I guess I shoot over a total of about 2,000 acres altogether.

With a pal, I shoot quite a lot, late evening and early mornings using lamps attached to our rifles. I've got a couple of Quads, a Honda 2x4, and a Yamaha 4x4 which I use a lot. I wanted this extra gun to carry on my Quad when I take my 12 gauge out, just in case ! and I really wanted the option of "No Scope" for a change. I do shoot Air Rifle as well, spring and PCP, both 'scoped' and open sighted, again, just to keep my eye in....having said that, eyesight just 'aint what it used to be !...but I persevere.

I also write for acouple on Shooting magazines over here too, and get to try out various bits of kit now and then. See I too can wander off !....What I really need is some good advice on what .22 non scoped bolt action or semi to buy without breaking the bank ! ......All suggestions welcome !

#25 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

I am surprised that semi-autos are an option for you. I thought that they were illegal there. Good to know that you can still own one. That being said, the finest factory open sights in the world come attached to bolt action CZs. You might find the last few posts in a recent thread interesting:

http://rimfireshooti...opic=5441&st=20

Is your local price differential very great between a CZ Trainer/Special/Lux and let's say a Marlin 25, 725, 925 bolt action? One of the Marlin bolt guns would be a great little beater. At least they have a square post and square notch as opposed to the ever popular but difficult bead and u-notch sights. I am not sure what type of sights come on the lowest end Savage Mk II. But, the Mk IIs that lack the accu-trigger have horrid 6 lb pulls. Are the old Winchester and Remington sporters expensive there such as the Remington 510,511, 512, and semi-auto 552-1 or the Winchester 59, 72, or 75? These rifles are usually very accurate and have good trigger pulls. They have gotten ridiculously pricey here.

Back to the semi-autos. I would suggest the following tube repeaters:

Remington Nylon 66, 550, 550-1, or 552
Winchester 190
One of the 9 million Marlin semi-autos of the Model 60ish design
Browning bottom ejection model (probably too valuable to abuse though)
High Standard sold a couple of nice tube repeaters in the 70s as did Colt (the Stagecoach is a dandy)

or box magazine feeders:

Ruger 10/22 (factory sights are nigh on useless though)
Marlins again

Avoid these:

Winchester 490s (Canada) are very prone to malfunction
As are the Remington Nylon 77s
Clones of the Browning bottom ejection type (Made in China I believe) *
Clones of the Nylon 66 (Made in Brazil) *

* I must mention that two of these countries' imports would fit your bill quite nicely if you decide against a semi-auto:

China - Norinco - BRNO clone - good clear sights - mine came new with a 1.5 lb trigger in 1989.
Brazil - Rossi or Taurus - Winchester Model 62 slide/pump action clones

#26 Terminator

Terminator

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Wow Sheffield...what a lot to consider !
No, we CAN have semi auto's here but not full autos..this applies to 12 gauge as well but I'm not too sure about the larger centerfire caliber's ...Actually, I shoot regularly with an Anschutz .22 and also I have a CZ 452 American in .17HMR, both with scopes and mods but I just wanted something "Different" with Open Sights just like I used to have and enjoy shooting. I thought you guys over there would have more and a wider knowledge of what was good and / or bad.
As far as semi / bolt action is concerned, I am open minded. I have had a Remmie 512 for some years which an old fella' passed on to me but this is a smooth bore for bird shot and obviously quite useless as a rifle !. The only slight drawback with the 552 is that it doesn't take a sling or bi-pod easily is difficult to fit a moderator to and some of the earlier models over here don't have scope rails...just in case I want to go that way later on ! Nearly all the new rimmies over here are "sightless" for 'scopes only, so that does limit choice and is why I have asked you for advice on older guns. I do appreciate all you have all said and thank you for it..any further info is welcome and, in any case, the chat is good also.

#27 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Zeroed the 552 with its open sights today. Frankly guys, the way each half of the broken sight has a substantial groove to ride in, makes the split a non-issue. The screw that secures the part(s) has a large head and with the security provided by the grooves and ridges things are not going anywhere. Might be a different situation with a centerfire but I'm leaving it alone for now. Just going to shoot and enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please check out my Winchester 190 test from today as well (Winchester forum here on RFS). The Winchester may be a bit more accurate but the Remington has a much friendlier trigger and I prefer its left side operating handle.

#28 skoro

skoro

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

Come on you experts, give me the full lowdown on the 552 P.L.E.A.S.E. !

OK...

I've had my 552BDL for almost 22 years now. The good: shoots well, looks fabulous and is a fun plinker.

The bad: it really requires regular cleaning and it isn't real easy to break down/reassemble. Also, it absolutely HATES Remington 22LR ammo, but that's true of every 22 I own.

#29 FENIX

FENIX

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Remington 552 Speedmaster.
    Benchrest 50 meters

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Hi everybody!
I'm new in the forum, and this is my first post.

Terminator: Besides the exceptional, interesting and accurates responses that Sheffieldshooter, carl, LongPlay, Pearyw, and skoro offered you, let my share my own experience.
I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, lawyer, 57 years old, and past June I bought my first rifle: a second handed Remington 552 BDL Speedmaster, manufactured on April 1992, with a cheap Chinese year 1990 Tasco scope 3-9x32, mounting on aluminum see-thru high mounts, for a total of USD $ 490 (yes, I know that for you it sounds like a lot, but it's the cost to live so far...)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (You can click on the pictures to zoom in)

I have to say you that I wanted this rifle to plinking and hunting hares in a friend's farm 300 miles away from home, so, as you can suppose, extremely accuracy & precision it was not my target when I bought this tube fed semi-automatic rifle.
But, when I went to the range to calibrate the scope, the results remembered me that Apolo XI mission famous phrase, because..., yes, I had a problem too...
I recognize that I'm not a good shooter, but in comparison with another rifles, after firing 100 ammo in the bench rest 50 meters range (forward and after sand bags), and only obtained as the better a lonely group of more than 1,5 inches, it hurt my pride.

Posted Image Shooting at benchrest 50 meters range Tiro Federal Argentino Buenos Aires Posted Image

So, I begun to search information about how much accuracy can we expect from this rifle, and in a another site, I was again "wounded" when I saw that this rifle, with a Weaver 3-9 AO scope, was able to make consistents sub/moa at 25 yards, and its author chalenged Remington 552 Club members to beat its marks:

Posted Image "RonJ" from Eastern Missouri, 5 best groups of 5 shots at 25 yds averaged 0,327" = 1,25 MOA

So, the battle to accuracy begun...
First, I paid USD 12.50 to fix parallax scope to 50 meters, and things improved a little.
Remington 552 has a factory trigger pull of 5 lbs, and RonJ told us that he had went to his gunsmith to set at only 2 lbs.
In my case, at the beginning I felt completely uncomfortable, but after some practice, I'm learning to handle it.

Another task was fixing the weak part (in accuracy terms) of this rifle: the union between the receiver and the barrel, as you can see in this instructional home made video about how to disassembly this rifle:
I read in another web page, that Shooting Coach said that we have to buy and install a simple receiver bushing (in Remington Parts cost $3.20, it is a part number #F16160 or V-50 in the part list numbers), to fix in a proper manner the barrel to the receiver, to obtain more accuracy in our Remington 552 Speedmaster (see http://www.trapshooters.com), so I bought that part and put inside the receiver screw hole (if you want to buy it, send an email to info@remington.com)

Posted Image $3.20 receiver bushing to improve accuracy

Next phase, ammo issue. We have government restrictions with imported ammo, and I had to use only national ammo http://www.fmflb.fab...oAnular-DT.html
I only obtained some boxes of CCI Standard Velocity, and in the future I'll try to buy premium ammo, as Eley Tenex may be.
During that process, my scores improved a little more, obtaining these 5 best groups of 5 shots at 50 meters averages:

Posted Image Average 1,94 MOA Posted Image Average 1,45 MOA

As you can see, the battle against myself to reach RonJ marks it is just in the beginning, and I' m having a lot of fun!

So Terminator: You can see that Remington 552 Speedmaster, besides its oustanding perfomance for a semi-automatic rifle (capable to load fifteen .22LR, or eighteen .22L, or twenty .22Short ammunitions), and its superb "good looking", it is a very accurate rifle with sights and scoped too.

I promised to keep you informed about my futures improvements, and if our Good Lord permits me, I'll be glad to comunicate you the happy end of this obsession...

I apologize for my rustic english, and also if you consider too long or innapropiate this post.

Thank you!
FENIX Posted Image

PS: I realize that I have also to say you, that I don't have any commercial interest with Remington Guns Company: I only love my rifle...
And last but not least, if you want to measure your scores like I did, let me recommend you to download and use this free software (also I have any personal interest with theirs authors)

OnTarget Precision Calculator
The OnTarget precision calculator gives the marksman a tool to accurately and consistently measure and analyze bullet hole groups in their targets. It provides group measurement information that is critical for evaluating ammunition for hunting, target shooting, bench rest shooting, metallic silhouette or any other shooting discipline.
OnTarget has a simple and intuitive user interface. You import images from your scanner or digital camera. Then you set the distance to the target, the bullet hole size, and the point-of-aim. The bullet holes are positioned directly on top of the target graphic and information about the group is generated immediately.
Group information includes: diameter, height and width, average distance to center, and group offset from point-of-aim. Results are provided in both inches and minutes of angle (MOA).

http://www.ontargets...m/download.html

Edited by FENIX, 24 October 2010 - 12:21 AM.

#30 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

I enjoyed your informative post FENIX.

Thanks,

Danny

#31 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

FENIX, thank YOU for taking the time to share your story with us. As one who only knows one language, I am very grateful that you can tell us about your gun experiences in the only language I know.

Keep the posts about your 552 and Argentina coming!
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#32 FENIX

FENIX

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
    Benchrest 50 meters

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Sheffieldshooter (Danny)!
I was reading your posts, and you have to add me to your fan list as a great shooter that you are! (I copied your 552 target as an example on the other site where a challenge are actually running)

Thanks cp1969!
Your superb site motivated me to try harder and writing better in your language (I' m learning ...)

Thank you all!
FENIX Posted Image

#33 FENIX

FENIX

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
    Benchrest 50 meters

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image

#34 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Good read FENIX. A great reference.

Thanks,

Danny

#35 FENIX

FENIX

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
    Benchrest 50 meters

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thank you Danny!
By the way, I promised all of you to keep informed about my improvements.
May be you remember that I'm trying to reach the marks of a distinguished Remington 552 Club member RonJ from Eastern Missouri:

Posted Image RonJ challenge

Because RonJ has 9 (nine) groups in one target, and the targets that I used had only 6, I had to use two targets of 6 groups each, using the second half only:

Posted ImagePosted Image FENIX used targets

Besides that, on these targets, I didn't use the 1" black square to point of aim as people generally does, and despite the good advice I received from a lot of shooter friends, I always used for that purpose directly the desired point of impact: the center of the smallest of the circles of each target.
When I went to the range with new rings to zeroed the scope, I used another target, and I experienced greater ease of use of vertical and horizontal lines to align properly the reticle crosshairs of my scope:

Posted Image Target to zeroed the scope

From that point, I begun to search on the web about shooting target designs, to find the better for my intentions.
Reading some articles, I confirmed the importance of heavy vertical and horizontal lines to help aiming with scopes, and also, the use of peripherals black squares to visually induce the shooter's view to the point of aim, as you can see in these examples:

Posted Image GRID TARGET WITH SIGHT ALINGMENT AID. This variation of the Basic Grid features black square corners to aid in visual alignment of the crosshairs. This may be helpful when using low powered scopes or scopes with very heavy crosshairs http://www.mytargets.com/

Posted Image 1" yellow dot on a 1" grid pattern. 2" black squares Help you find the center http://www.targetz.com/

Nevertheless, I didn't find a target that cover all my expectations, so I started designing a target for myself, which I here present to you.
Because I noticed that it was impossible to accommodate nine targets in only one A4 paper format (8.3 x 11.7 inches), because they would be very smal, and would be too close to each other so shots could be confused with each other, so, I designed it on a A3 paper format:

Posted Image FENIX Target A3 Yellow

You can see that it has 1/4" squares of fine lines around the circle center, to help measuring and correcting the shots.
The circle center measures 3/4", that at 50 meters (the distance that I usually shoot), it is equivalent to a desired sub-moa group, if I can put all five shots inside that circle...
The free space between medium vertical and horizontal lines through the point of the center, measures 1/4".
The heavy vertical and horizontal lines measures 1/4" wide, and the peripheral black squares measures 3/4" each side.

For all those people like me who do not have a color printer, nor a A3 format paper printer, here you have the same individual target designs in black and white only (you can paint the circle center after printing, with the color of your choice), and the most common A4 format with six targets each, that you can use joinning together.

Posted Image FENIX Target A3 Posted Image FENIX Target A4 Yellow Posted Image FENIX Target A4

I'll appreciate your comments and critics to improve these designs, and please, feel free to use and share them with all of your friends, free downloading the corresponding files in PDF format by clicking on each of their titles above printed in blue.

Thank you!
FENIX

#36 Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy

.22s - the great escape

• Administrators
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'll have to think on these for a day or two. Catch ya later.

#37 FENIX

FENIX

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
    Benchrest 50 meters

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

I forgot to tell you about my first experience with the new target I designed.
Well, on past December, I tried this target for first time, and in the middle of a shameful perfomance, there was a Christmas miracle!

Rifle: Stock factory Remington BDL 552 Speedmaster, year 1992
Scope: Tasco (China) 3-9x32 (at 9)
Rings: Burris Signature Rimfire/Airgun .22 1 Inch Riflescope Medium Ring Pair - Matter Black, with Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kits
Date: December 23th 2010, 4.15 to 5.30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users