24 replies to this topic

#1 pumpkinheaver

pumpkinheaver

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

In your opinion what is the best coyote load out of a .22 WMR rifle.

#2 scotty

scotty

Distinguished Shooter

• Team Leaders RFS
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

dont know that there is a best or not, but a 40 gr hollow point at 1910 fps will gitrdun, i use them for everything, i dont shoot any other bullet[ rem or cci are identical except the price and the headstamp].

they make it all the way through the vitals and do a fair amount of damage too, IF you plant to shoot at every one you can hit, then please remember this, i shot one at a lasered 177 yards, hit her in the ribs, she thrashed around but didnt go anywhere, by the time me and my buddy got to her she was dead. i found the bullet against the offside hide, IT HADNT MUSHROOMED OR FRAGMENTED AT ALL!! so at that range it was lucky i'd hit both lungs or i might have lost her.

id say 125 yards is a reasonable maximum to expect mushrooming and some fragmentation, some say you need a harder bullet to insure penetration, from what ive seen theyre wrong.

losing some weight to fragmentation isnt a bad thing , it helps kill better, the bullets i mentioned never turn to bug dust anyhow , the base of the bullet makes it through a coyote even at close range.

scotty

#3 Guest_Jon_*

Guest_Jon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

If I where going to shoot coyotes with a 22mag, I would use the Rem 40 JHP. It's a good bullet, stays together for the most part and expands really well.

#4 Brad Clodfelter

Brad Clodfelter

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Benchrest target shooting for groups and score. I like to turkey hunt and deer hunt. I also like to fish.
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

Hi pumpkinheaver.

I just found out recently that pumpkinheaver lives fairly close to me.

It's a small world at times.

Hopefully we might be able to get together and shoot one day.

Brad

#5 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

I have started to quit reading posts on .22 mag, and .17hmr. on yotes. There seems to be alot of people with
opinions that they wouldn't do the job. I say " Bologna ". I think if you have the proper bullet and placement, they are a killing calibur ! I can't wait for better weather to try my .17 on yotes !
too

#6 j.r. guerra in s. texas

j.r. guerra in s. texas

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:03 AM

I'll agree to a point with toopointer, but the coyotes I've seen (even the south Texas scrawny little guys) hit do take a 'lot of killin', and I'd would rather use something with a bit more power. If I had my druthers, something of .22 Hornet would be my minimum if deliberately looking for them.

I will agree though - a .22 Magnum pill put in the right place will take coyote cleanly. I would limit my range to 75 yards MAX., but thats just me.

#7 Gunjunkie

Gunjunkie

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:28 AM

I use cci hp's in my mag and solids for game I eat.. they shoot same poi which makes life easy on me :D

#8 K22

K22

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

Being a Coyote/Fox junkie :D I have to agree with "it's not my caliber of choice", but "my opinion" is that the Win. Super X 40gr.hp is the best load. I've used it for almost 40yrs. now. It's pretty accurate out of most mag.'s and mushrooms quite nicely.

For accuracy, it certainly isn't the best round, but for accuracy and expansion on game, I believe it is.

#9 Red

Red

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I also agree that the 22magnum is not the #1 choice for coyotes. Yet some state waterfowl management areas restrict hunters to using rimfires or shotguns. That being the case, I've killed only one coyote with the magnum. It was a close up deal and he went down quick. I've been shooting 40g CCI Maxi-Mags because they are accurate in my rifle and I've had good luck with them on smaller critters like groundhogs, etc. I'm wondering about any opinions on that bullet for terminal performance on coyotes at say 100 yards?

#10 kim

kim

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sorry gentlemen, but the .22 rimfire and any of it's derivatives are not adequate for coyote sized game, unless you are using one to dispatch one in a trap or wounded. I've been at this for a long time and I believe that nothing less than .223 should be used. I've seen a lot of coyotes shot with less and lost. They deserve better than that.

Molon Labe

Kim

#11 Guest_Jon_*

Guest_Jon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Beofre this turns into an ethics vs. caliber argument I'd would like to point out that the original topic was:

"In your opinion what is the best coyote load out of a .22 WMR rifle."

We all have opinions on which caliber is suitable for coyotes, the poster IS going to use a 22mag whether we approve or not so lets tell him which is the best bullet to make sure the yote goes down and stays down.

Thanks

#12 Red

Red

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:20 AM

Exactly.

#13 Desertrat

Desertrat

Sharp Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Try the Fiocchi 38gr. hollow point.....works pretty good....I have about 10 yotes to my credit with that round.

#14 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Mar 22 2007, 09:27 PM) View Post

Beofre this turns into an ethics vs. caliber argument I'd would like to point out that the original topic was:

"In your opinion what is the best coyote load out of a .22 WMR rifle."

We all have opinions on which caliber is suitable for coyotes, the poster IS going to use a 22mag whether we approve or not so lets tell him which is the best bullet to make sure the yote goes down and stays down.

Thanks

Sorry, there is no such bullet for the .22mag. You might as well debate which brand of .22 short would be best. I see no sense in offering encouraging advice when the question is flawed in the first place. (i.e., if I ask which bullet is best to hunt cape buffalo with my 6mm)

The .22 mag is not an ideal coyote caliber. It is not even a good one. It is a marginal one, under the very best of conditions. Of course it will kill one if placed right. How many of us can place the shot perfectly every time? I have killed coyotes with a .22LR but I have also lost coyotes to much more powerful rounds than the .22 mag. And don't think that the .17 rimfires are the answer. I have seen many coyotes lost to the centerfire .17 Remington which is about 4X as powerful as the rimfires.

Hunt them long enough and you will reach the same conclusion, but there is no need--learn from my mistakes instead. The coyote deserves better than someone else repeating all of my sub-caliber mistakes.

My advice is to use this as an opportunity to get another gun, preferably something like a .243 that is enough gun for the task at hand. 75 gr HP at 3500 fps is pretty effective coyote medicine; 40 gr at ~2000 is not.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#15 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,777 posts
  • Interests:Remington collector "wanna-be".

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

IMO, there are too many "variables" here to say definately that the .22WMR is or isn't a capable cartridge for coyotes. A well placed modern designed .22WMR bullet at short enough range is, without a doubt, better than a poorly placed 85 grain .243 at 300 yds. Knowing the limitations of the cartridge, rifle and shooter is the key. One of the newer design jacketed bullets would probably be the best choice in a .22WMR, and a well placed shot at under 100 yds. would most likely do in a coyote without much problem. Even before I quit hunting many years ago, I saw too many shots taken at animals that were well beyond the capabilities of the rifle, cartridge, and most often, the shooter. From all I hear, it's only gotten worse over the years.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to

restrain the people; it is an instrument for the

people to restrain the government-lest it come to

dominate our lives and interests"

Patrick Henry

#16 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

I don't that many yotes around here, I know they are here though. This post is over a year old, so I doubt

many are following it. I do agree I think the cal. is a little small, but bet at a decent range that it is lethal.

too

#17 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting- anything that walks or flies, punching paper at the range, IDPA or other matches when time allows.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

At limited range I think the .22 mag and the .17HMR are both good rounds. But, that is at LIMITED range- i.e. about one hundred yards IMO. I have taken one coyote with my HMR at about 150, but that was a chance encounter on a friends property and he is desparately trying to get rid of them. He has spent a lot of money to re-establish the quail and turkey population on his land and the yotes are way too numerous.

Jay

#18 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

jbird...

I notice you are another of the NW Ala. members.... my question is, have you always had coyotes in your part of the country? We have always had them here in Kansas, but I know they have expanded their range considerably over the last 25 or 30 years. When I was growing up in NE Iowa, we never saw coyotes there, but they moved in several years after I left.

Our big dispute here in Kansas now is whether or not we have mountain lions. That was pretty much put to rest a short time back when someone shot one. The State Wildlife and Parks Dept. has tried to claim for years that there are none in the state, except maybe the odd one passing through following a river or something. A friend of mine is a licensed trapper for the state (W&P contracts with him to trap problem animals) and he claims they are here, but the state does not want it to be general knowledge.

Patrick Henry

#19 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • Interests:Hunting- anything that walks or flies, punching paper at the range, IDPA or other matches when time allows.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

Carl,

I don't remember seeing any until I was in high school back in the early-mid eighties. I started noticing them in NE Al ( Jackson Co near Grant Mtn.) where I used to hunt. A friend worked for the local cattle yard and got my brothers and I permission to hunt some ranch land in Jackson Co in exchange for hunting yotes during the off season. They had already gotten the attn of area farmers and ranchers by then ( '84). I grew up in Huntsville and usually hunted East of there, so I don't know when they started showing up in numbers here in the Shoals area. I would imagine they showed up here before the Eastern part of the start.

Funny you mentioned mountain lions. Most people in the Huntsville area would probably freak out if they knew how many were in the vicinity. Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and Redstone Arsenal have had a good population as far back as I can remember. An older friend from my neighborhood was an MP at Redstone when I was still in middle school and showed me surveillance footage of mtn lions walking the perimeter fences of some of the secure installations on the Arsenal. When I used to hunt Wheeler you could hear them at times when you went way back into the backwaters and swamps where most hunters were too lazy to go ( or didn't have a canoe smile.gif ).

Also, used to see tracks from both mtn lion and black bear up on Grant Mtn and in Paint Rock Valley in Jackson Co all the time, though never actually saw the animals. When I was younger I always heard that bear had been hunted out of the entire area, so that was a bit of a surprise when I saw the first tracks. Had to dig out the encyclopedia and look them up to be sure of what I saw the first time.

Jay

#20 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Apr 23 2008, 07:24 PM) View Post

jbird...

I notice you are another of the NW Ala. members.... my question is, have you always had coyotes in your part of the country? We have always had them here in Kansas, but I know they have expanded their range considerably over the last 25 or 30 years. When I was growing up in NE Iowa, we never saw coyotes there, but they moved in several years after I left.

Our big dispute here in Kansas now is whether or not we have mountain lions. That was pretty much put to rest a short time back when someone shot one. The State Wildlife and Parks Dept. has tried to claim for years that there are none in the state, except maybe the odd one passing through following a river or something. A friend of mine is a licensed trapper for the state (W&P contracts with him to trap problem animals) and he claims they are here, but the state does not want it to be general knowledge.

I would be surprised if there is a state in the Union that doesn't have coyotes. They are very tolerant of living in close proximity to man. Also, there population seems to be cyclical. Back in the '70s when we hunted them regularly, they seemed to be everywhere. Then they seemed to develop a mange of some sort and you would have to shoot ten to find one with a sellable pelt, so we quit hunting them. Now, their population is way down. I hardly ever see one.

We hunted them mainly for pelts, using every manner of hunting possible from trapping to running with trail hounds, to calling. When we skinned them, we did a lot of autopsies to learn about bullet effects, their diet, etc. Only once did we ever find anything but mice in the stomach of a coyote, and that was a rabbit. Coyotes are opportunists, just like us. They'll take an easy meal over a hard-to-catch one any day.

We used just about every caliber you can imagine on them. .218 PO Ackley Bee through 7mm Mag. All I can tell you is big is better except for pelt damage. With the 7mm Mag, you hardly ever lose one but the pelts are almost always damaged because it goes through. With the .17 Remington, you hardly ever damage a pelt but you lose a lot coyotes because of lack of stopping power. That is why we settled on the .243 Winchester as about the ideal coyote round, using a light hollow point bullet that has good stopping power but rarely exits.

Just for grins, from my sketchy memory, here is the list of calibers that we used at one time or another. I'm sure I'll omit some.

.22LR (trap gun)
.22 Mag (trap gun)
.218 PO Ackley Bee
.22-40
.219 Donaldson Wasp
.220 Swift
.225 Winchester
.22-250
.17 Remington

6mm Remington
.257 Roberts

.25-06
7mm Mag
.264 Winchester
.284 Winchester
.280 Remington
.30-30
.308 Winchester
12 ga. w/#6 buck

One Father/Son combo both used the .17 Remington. The father was by far the most successful of our group; he sold over 80 pelts one winter, the next highest guy had less than 30. BUT--he had the most time available to hunt, so he had the most shots. And as a pair, those guys using the .17 probably lost more coyotes than they took that winter. The old man never did swear off the .17 but his son did--he moved up to the 6mm Remington.
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#21 Carl

Carl

RFS Benefactor

• Consultant / Mentor
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

I have an open field behind my house and we used to see coyotes pretty regular and hear them at times. Then for about 5 years I didn't see any, but last summer I saw one out there. I see them other places around here almost any time I'm out in the country. Cutting wheat for a farmer near here a number of years ago, I had one run back and forth beside the combine, but about 50-75 yds. out from me. He made about 1/2 dozen trips with me before he left.

Also when I was in the AF in Wyoming in 1964, I worked daytime on a ranch on the Wyo/SD border. Also cutting wheat there when I looked over by a dry creek and there was a mountain lion walking along the top of the bank. I got to the corner of the wheat and swung the combine around to get a better look and he disappeared down into the creek bed. I drove the combine over there, but didn't see it again. The ranch owner wasn't too happy that they were around and said she hadn't seen one on the ranch for several years.

Patrick Henry

#22 toopointer

toopointer

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Carl @ Apr 23 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post
I have an open field behind my house and we used to see coyotes pretty regular and hear them at times. Then for about 5 years I didn't see any, but last summer I saw one out there. I see them other places around here almost any time I'm out in the country. Cutting wheat for a farmer near here a number of years ago, I had one run back and forth beside the combine, but about 50-75 yds. out from me. He made about 1/2 dozen trips with me before he left.

Also when I was in the AF in Wyoming in 1964, I worked daytime on a ranch on the Wyo/SD border. Also cutting wheat there when I looked over by a dry creek and there was a mountain lion walking along the top of the bank. I got to the corner of the wheat and swung the combine around to get a better look and he disappeared down into the creek bed. I drove the combine over there, but didn't see it again. The ranch owner wasn't too happy that they were around and said she hadn't seen one on the ranch for several years.

Now would be it Carl, open to kill ? I know several years riding around looking for some good partridge area to try. I had a cat run across my trail rode. I had plenty of time to identify it, and no doubt it was a cougar.

I know what yotes, bobcats, and what ever, and no doubt in my mind was a cat. It crossed the road I was on, and continued for another hundred yards before disappearing. It almost got my hairs standing up on my neck !!

too_

#23 jbird

jbird

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

" It almost got my hairs standing up on my neck !!

too_"

It isn't a very comfortable feeling when you realize you just took a step down on the food chain sad.gif . Kind of like the first time I found cougar tracks on the land I was hunting in NE Alabama, gave me a new appreciation for the hunter/prey relationship.

Jay

#24 FryerJim

FryerJim

Tinhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Sorry, there is no such bullet for the .22mag. You might as well debate which brand of .22 short would be best. I see no sense in offering encouraging advice when the question is flawed in the first place. (i.e., if I ask which bullet is best to hunt cape buffalo with my 6mm)

The .22 mag is not an ideal coyote caliber. It is not even a good one. It is a marginal one, under the very best of conditions. Of course it will kill one if placed right. How many of us can place the shot perfectly every time? I have killed coyotes with a .22LR but I have also lost coyotes to much more powerful rounds than the .22 mag. And don't think that the .17 rimfires are the answer. I have seen many coyotes lost to the centerfire .17 Remington which is about 4X as powerful as the rimfires.

Hunt them long enough and you will reach the same conclusion, but there is no need--learn from my mistakes instead. The coyote deserves better than someone else repeating all of my sub-caliber mistakes.

My advice is to use this as an opportunity to get another gun, preferably something like a .243 that is enough gun for the task at hand. 75 gr HP at 3500 fps is pretty effective coyote medicine; 40 gr at ~2000 is not.

Sorry to drag up such an old thread. It is very useful information for those of us who hunt in Tennessee on Wildlife Management Area (WMA) land. Unless you are hunting during deer season and have a deer tag, you cannot use centerfire ammunition to hunt coyote. Faced with that restriction, I have set up my .22 magnum with a 3-9 x 40mm Nikon scope and will set up my caller and decoy at 50 yards. I'm going to have to be a crafty caller. I'm going to have to really control my scent. But if I do all of that I will be able to keep the range under 100 yards.

If you want to hunt coyote on WMA land in Tennessee you have to adapt. I think it is worth it. We'll see how it goes.

-Jim

Edited by FryerJim, 17 September 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#25 Pdwight

Pdwight

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 7,534 posts
  • Interests:CMP Rimfire Sporter, Karate, Iaido, Aircraft and most anything that reflects skill and talent.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

Good luck on that Jim, sorry late for answering this....but a Big RFS Welcome.

Dwight

If your hunting in TN you not too far from me....unless your extreme NE TN
A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users