• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 22 skidoo

22 skidoo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:.22ing, grouse hunting, birding, grandkids, dog-walking.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

The other day a salesman at a gun store tried to hand me a .22 bolt action rifle with the action closed. I stepped back and wouldn't touch it. I asked the guy to open the action, and I got this disgusted look -- like I was some kind of a wimp. How would you guys deal with this situation?

*Refuse to touch the gun.
*Demand that the action be opened.
*Deliver a gun safety lecture.
*Complain to the store manager.
*Leave the store w/o buying anything.
*All of the above.

Or what?

#2 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Skidoo, IMO you did the correct thing when presented with a firearm with the action closed. When I worked in a gun store I'd never hand a customer a closed firearm because they're all loaded until proven otherwise. I still practice this today (of course) and my kids practice this rule as well.

When I went into our local Cabela's to purchase my CZ American the sales clerk, who used to own a gunshop in our area, tried to hand me the rifle with the action closed and I too refused to take it from him so he laid it on the counter with the action closed and I had to open it myself before examining the rifle. I asked the guy if he always handed firearms to people with the action closed and he said that they didn't want to put unecessary wear on a new firearm (or something to that effect). To me, opening the action on a firearm is necessary regardless of the wear it may cause. I know for a fact that I've had other clerks at the same store open the action on new guns before handing them to me so this guy was full of it. If I had more options for purchasing firearms in my area I would've just walked out the door at conduct like that. Unfortunately, there's only one other store in my area and they used to be our main competitor and I feel they're a bunch of cocky ..... (well you get the idea) so I won't give them my business.

If this were to happen to me again I'd refuse to take the firearm from them and I'd ask them to open the action. If I received an attitude about it I'd politely explain that a firearm should be assumed to be loaded until proven otherwise. If the bad attitude remained I'd ask for a manager/owner and if they gave me the same attitude I guess I'd have to walk because I won't tolerate an unsafe environment.

Pat
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#3 chance_of_rain

chance_of_rain

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:1911's, Harley rides w/ my better half, shooting sports of all types, and plinking with the kids.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

When in doubt safety wins out. The guy was probably disturbed because he knew he was wrong skidoo. I think you did the right thing. (JMO)
Chance...
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both. -Ben Franklin

#4 cp1969

cp1969

Legendary Shooter

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • Anti Spam Check:739

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

I would have taken it and opened it myself. I'm sure it's happened to me before; it wouldn't make much difference to me who opened it. How do you deal with something that won't stay open?
Anbody who believes in gun control should be taken out and shot.

#5 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I would have opened it and given him the stare. Several times in BassPro customers have been aiming around with closed actions. I always ask them to open it, then say something to the clerk. It is just one more reason I avoid BassPro.

Mark

#6 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Rimfire BR, Smallbore Silhouette, Smallbore 4P, & CMP Rimfire Sporter...and enjoying all of it!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I would have taken it and opened it myself. I'm sure it's happened to me before; it wouldn't make much difference to me who opened it. How do you deal with something that won't stay open?

To me, it's not only about safety it's also about etiquette. There's not that many firearms that won't lock open in one way or another and if your showing a customer one that won't lock open you should at least hold it open and allow the customer the opportunity to see that it's empty.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by trying to make it tougher for sober people to own cars.

#7 patriot

patriot

RFS Benefactor

• Administrators
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:Any precision rifle or handgun. Long range and smallbore prone matches. People who are passionate about all things.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'm amazed how many people show up with AR15's at the range that have no clue how to lock the bolt back. Scary. We take for granted the muscle memory ingrained shooting rifle and pistol matches.

Mark

#8 Patrick N

Patrick N

I Need A Range Day!

• Resident PC Advisor
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

I'm amazed how many people show up with AR15's at the range that have no clue how to lock the bolt back. Scary. We take for granted the muscle memory ingrained shooting rifle and pistol matches.

Mark

I've seen this with AR's as well but even more often with 10-22 shooters. Sometimes the shooter doesn't even realize that the 10-22 has that feature.

#9 22 skidoo

22 skidoo

Distinguished Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:.22ing, grouse hunting, birding, grandkids, dog-walking.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

When I was a kid my Dad drummed safety into me.

1. When you pick up a gun, immediately open the action and check the chamber and magazine.
2. If possible, open the action and check the chamber and magazine before you pick up the gun.
3. If you don't know how to open the action, don't touch the gun at all.
4. Keep your finger out of the *&%$# trigger guard, and if I see you put it in there one more time we're going home!

Those were the most basic of Dad's commandments and nuggets of wisdom, but there were dozens more:

*In thick cover, never shoot at a low outgoing or crossing bird. There could be a man between you and the bird.

*Never shoot at a low incoming bird; you'll just spoil the meat and you may hit whatever flushed it. Wait until it is overhead.

*There is no earthly reason to fire more than two shots at a time when hunting grouse. If you can't hit the bird with two shots you probably aren't going to hit it at all.

*Never shoot a sitting bird; you don't need it that bad.

*If you arrive at your pet grouse cover and hear multiple shots being fired, blam-blam-blam, don't worry. That guy isn't hitting anything and the birds are safe. But beware of the middle-aged man with a springer spaniel and an old Model 12 with a Cutts Compensator and most of the bluing worn off. You'll probably never see this guy, but every so often you'll hear a single shot, boom!, way back in the woods, and the trill of a dog whistle. That's the guy to worry about; he's thinning out the birds.

Anyway, thanks, Dad. After 55 years of shooting I have yet to have an accident. If the guy at the gun store had you for a father, he wouldn't be handing people guns with the actions closed.

Later: I just went out to pick up the mail and mentioned this discussion to my neighbor, who is older than me, if such a thing is possible.

He said that years ago a clerk handed him a 1911 with the magazine in and the slide in battery. My neighbor took the pistol and locked the slide back. Then he asked the clerk if he could borrow his pen. The clerk handed him a fancy-looking ballpoint and my neighbor stuck it in the port and dropped the slide on it. He gave the clerk a big smile and said, "There, now it's safe!"

Edited by 22 skidoo, 27 July 2010 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users